College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

I'm waiting for the day Arkansas decides to stop abusing the fill tool and actually come up with a uniform design. At least their previous look had beautiful road jerseys. These are just bland and boring. And they even have unfitting gradient numbers to boot.

Remember that time Arkansas actually got it right?

45-20649-Y.jpg

yea that is a good look for Oklahoma. . . .wait

Well when I see the scoreboard and it says Arkansas, and I look at the helmet and it has a razorback logo, it's pretty obvious it's not Oklahoma...

heres the ultimate identity test: take the logos away and what are you left with?

The irony is that so many people are calling the new uniforms generic, yet they like the old ones? Give me a break, why don't we make every school look like Penn State and Notre Dame? That'd be cool

I don't think that's what people are saying. I think people are tired of schools using anthicrite, black, and all these other taboo "design" elements, simply because they want recruits to like them. Aside from the small razorback pattern, these are relatively generic uniforms, in that there isn't anything new, and they copy a lot of other teams uniforms. True, there isn't another uniform that looks like them, but a uniform can be generic and unique at the same time.Tennesse is a good example. Their uniform is generic, but no other school has the colors that they do, so they are unique in that regard. If you noticed, when Missouri did their rebrand, aside from the anthicrite, it was met with a generally positive reaction, mostly because, again, besides the anthicrite, they did something both unique and non generic.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that's what people are saying. I think people are tired of schools using anthicrite, black, and all these other taboo "design" elements, simply because they want recruits to like them. Aside from the small razorback pattern, these are relatively generic uniforms, in that there isn't anything new, and they copy a lot of other teams uniforms. True, there isn't another uniform that looks like them, but a uniform can be generic and unique at the same time.Tennesse is a good example. Their uniform is generic, but no other school has the colors that they do, so they are unique in that regard. If you noticed, when Missouri did their rebrand, aside from the anthicrite, it was met with a generally positive reaction, mostly because, again, besides the anthicrite, they did something both unique and non generic.

A-N-T-H-R-A-C-I-T-E

That's how anthracite is spelled. However, if that is too difficult, might I suggest using "coal" as a color term. Since that's what anthracite actually is.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

A-N-T-H-R-A-C-I-T-E

That's how anthracite is spelled. However, if that is too difficult, might I suggest using "coal" as a color term. Since that's what anthracite actually is.

Yes, "coal" would be quicker, because "dumbass word that Nike made up to get all the sheep to repeat" takes too long to write each time.

A-N-T-H-R-A-C-I-T-E

Yes, "coal" would be quicker, because "dumbass word that Nike made up to get all the sheep to repeat" takes too long to write each time.

Nike didn't make it up...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anthracite

90758391980.gif

They may not have made it up, but how many times did you actually hear it outside of people talking about actual coal & mining until Nike latched into it's bandwagon?

Can the massively multiple helmets & endless mix 'n matching for everyone just die already please, it is beyond tired. Wearing something different every game does not success create, either on the field or in creating a brand.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

They may not have made it up, but how many times did you actually hear it outside of people talking about actual coal & mining until Nike latched into it's bandwagon?

Can the massively multiple helmets & endless mix 'n matching for everyone just die already please, it is beyond tired. Wearing something different every game does not success create, either on the field or in creating a brand.

No, but it's fun for the players, and it doesn't hurt anyone, or break any laws. I doubt it's going away anytime soon.

A-N-T-H-R-A-C-I-T-E

It's a lot easier to market the word anthacrite than it is the word coal.

If Nike went to everyone and said "Hey look at the awesome new COAL uniforms!", I don't think many teams would've taken the bait.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

No, but it's fun for the players, and it doesn't hurt anyone, or break any laws. I doubt it's going away anytime soon.

That doesn't make it right.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

That doesn't make it 'wrong' either.

niagaraq.png

We're talking about college football uniforms. Not ethics. Now, you could argue about the implied corporatism, and whether that is right or wrong, but that's another topic entirely. There are no strict right and wrongs in uniforms. What s right to you, could be horribley wrong to another person.

At this point though, this is just going to start another circular argument that will eventually bring up Oregon, then Nike, and then massive amounts of people getting mad. Then others will come in and say how tired they are of this argument, then it will become a traditional vs untraditional uniform debate, then a finally, everyone will start insulting everyone involved, and say how childish they're acting, and then we'll be back at square one, until another team unveils a new uniform, while people are dicussing it, someone will say "I wish this trend of mix and match would end already", someone will come in and say that it doesn't hurt anyone, and then someone will make the point "that doesn't make it right", and then it will start all over again. I'm going to do a CCSLC first and stop the cycle right here.

I fully respect that you disagree with me Kevin, and I understand your points, but this arguement has done nothing but bad, and I think we should stop it before it starts again.

Interesting that you bring up ethics because it is very much an ethical thing. I have a problem with these uniform manufacturers using kids to pimp out their products without just compensation. It's one thing for a pro athlete to have endorsement deals, but these kids are being used as billboards against their will and they get nothing from it. Nike does it. Adidas does it. Under Armour does it. Russell would do it if anyone gave a crap about their football uniforms. It goes far beyond the fact that a lot of these special uniforms look like crap.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Interesting that you bring up ethics because it is very much an ethical thing. I have a problem with these uniform manufacturers using kids to pimp out their products without just compensation. It's one thing for a pro athlete to have endorsement deals, but these kids are being used as billboards against their will and they get nothing from it. Nike does it. Adidas does it. Under Armour does it. Russell would do it if anyone gave a crap about their football uniforms. It goes far beyond the fact that a lot of these special uniforms look like crap.

nike could do so much better than they do for cfb...case in point they continue to create solid and progressive designs for top flight football/soccer teams yet stay true to the original color scheme...the colors in cfb are so important and nike could leverage them so much better but they are being lazy with just using black and gray.

case in point the pac12 is so colorful many schools could stick to a traditional color scheme and still change it up...in addition there is something very football in seeing a traditional looking squad kick the ass of some middling school that is more worried about looking good than winning...conversely there is something about the upstart kicking another elite programs ass in their traditional colors (eg asu beating up nebraska)

the pac12 could have it both ways if the schools and nike were willing to put in the effort. example:

usc: perfect but they could do 1 throwback..say the gifford years

ucla: same as sc but they could pull off a navy alt as well

arizona: current unis are perfect but they need to stick to the white helmet with the asymetrical stripe as it's so u of a

asu: keep it simple...yellow helmets and sparky are a must but they could mix and match yellow maroon and still be iconic

cal: perfect just navy helmet only..the uni is a perfect tie into the old bear paw logo

stanford: great as is and the black alt is fine once a year...we can deal

u dub: the 90's unis were perfect...keep it simple gold and purple is great especially when they are kicking ass

colorado: same as u dub 90's bad ass...use the throwbacks or do the black/gold/black on occasion

utah: don't care

wsu: same as udub silver and cardinal are awesome

osu: current uni is perfect maybe change the helmet logo

ducks: go crazy fine but use the damn school colors..nobody else is green/yellow...the wing motif has been awesome too...the green helmet is amazing and was the original trendsetter...you don't need chrome or volt to be cool anymore.

to me this is simple...color is awesome...save the all black for the all blacks...it just requires that nike lose the design by iteration.

btw best looking college game I've ever seen in person was usc/michigan at the rose bowl...bright color everywhere navy/maize cardinal/yellow...that's what college football should be.

nike could do so much better than they do for cfb...case in point they continue to create solid and progressive designs for top flight football/soccer teams yet stay true to the original color scheme...the colors in cfb are so important and nike could leverage them so much better but they are being lazy with just using black and gray.

case in point the pac12 is so colorful many schools could stick to a traditional color scheme and still change it up...in addition there is something very football in seeing a traditional looking squad kick the ass of some middling school that is more worried about looking good than winning...conversely there is something about the upstart kicking another elite programs ass in their traditional colors (eg asu beating up nebraska)

the pac12 could have it both ways if the schools and nike were willing to put in the effort. example:

usc: perfect but they could do 1 throwback..say the gifford years

ucla: same as sc but they could pull off a navy alt as well

arizona: current unis are perfect but they need to stick to the white helmet with the asymetrical stripe as it's so u of a

asu: keep it simple...yellow helmets and sparky are a must but they could mix and match yellow maroon and still be iconic

cal: perfect just navy helmet only..the uni is a perfect tie into the old bear paw logo

stanford: great as is and the black alt is fine once a year...we can deal

u dub: the 90's unis were perfect...keep it simple gold and purple is great especially when they are kicking ass

colorado: same as u dub 90's bad ass...use the throwbacks or do the black/gold/black on occasion

utah: don't care

wsu: same as udub silver and cardinal are awesome

osu: current uni is perfect maybe change the helmet logo

ducks: go crazy fine but use the damn school colors..nobody else is green/yellow...the wing motif has been awesome too...the green helmet is amazing and was the original trendsetter...you don't need chrome or volt to be cool anymore.

to me this is simple...color is awesome...save the all black for the all blacks...it just requires that nike lose the design by iteration.

btw best looking college game I've ever seen in person was usc/michigan at the rose bowl...bright color everywhere navy/maize cardinal/yellow...that's what college football should be.

I completely agree, which is why I hated Oregon's procombat uniforms, and when they use the carbon, or volt. Green, Yellow, and Black can work great together.

And as to the best looking football game ever, I don't think anything can top the 2009 Civil War.

oregon-and-oregon-state-civil-war-game-b90351c3c7e2c56f_large.jpg

Gorgeous.

A-N-T-H-R-A-C-I-T-E

It's a lot easier to market the word anthacrite than it is the word coal.

If Nike went to everyone and said "Hey look at the awesome new COAL uniforms!", I don't think many teams would've taken the bait.

I know. That's why we should be using the word coal instead of anthracite whenever it comes up. The best way to crush a trend is to make it uncool.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You're exactly right. Honestly, the issue is probably the fact that different people head up the two different divisions. When you really think about it, a design department is only as good as the person who calls the shots; the person who says, "This is what's going in the presentation, and this is dead." The person calling the shots for Nike Soccer has a minimal, refined style and personality, while the person in charge of Nike Football has the mindset that favors design catering more to the young, aggressive, impressionable youth customer who's the same age as your average college football recruit.

As for these uniforms, aside from the 'razor stripe' on the sleeve, there's not much to them. I always like to see a little history and research into the team when a new uniform comes out. I don't know that we have that here. When you're a 'national title contender' and you get upstaged by Rutgers, that should tell you something about how Nike feels about you. Even if Arkansas went back to the McFadden (Oklahoma) uniforms, Nike could have spun it into a great piece of PR. They have those kind of resources. This feels like an afterthought.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Ethics? Unethical? What? The kids are being used as billboards against their will? Uh, you've never read contracts have you? When you go to a school or work, unless you have a contract that states otherwise, anything you do or create and that includes your likeness in this case, is property of that school to do as they will, and that includes using you for a billboard. When they sign their contract, I guarantee you that there is wording in their contract that states the school can use their likeness in advertising and merchandising. And when they sign that contract, they willingly agree to the use of their likeness. The thing is that we all sit here and talk about how wrong it is, and yet 95% of would give up rights to our likeness to be on that field in a ridiculous uniform.

On the left is actual anthracite. On the right is a NIKE anthracite uniform:

AnthraciteBlueBackground.jpgNew-TCU-Football-Uniforms-1.jpg

For the record, I like the color, when used wisely.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

You're exactly right. Honestly, the issue is probably the fact that different people head up the two different divisions. When you really think about it, a design department is only as good as the person who calls the shots; the person who says, "This is what's going in the presentation, and this is dead." The person calling the shots for Nike Soccer has a minimal, refined style and personality, while the person in charge of Nike Football has the mindset that favors design catering more to the young, aggressive, impressionable youth customer who's the same age as your average college football recruit.

As for these uniforms, aside from the 'razor stripe' on the sleeve, there's not much to them. I always like to see a little history and research into the team when a new uniform comes out. I don't know that we have that here. When you're a 'national title contender' and you get upstaged by Rutgers, that should tell you something about how Nike feels about you. Even if Arkansas went back to the McFadden (Oklahoma) uniforms, Nike could have spun it into a great piece of PR. They have those kind of resources. This feels like an afterthought.

The reason is because the soccer group has better designers than the football group which makes sense when you consider that Nike sells more Manchester United jerseys every year than it will NFL jerseys of every team combined this year.

Archived