2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

I actually like the South. Hell, I don't even hate the SEC (except for Bama). What I can't stand, though, is the one-sided media coverage, the yearly overrating of nearly the entire conference in the polls, and the conference homers.

The SEC wouldn't be nearly as hated by the general public if its fanbase rooted only for their schools like normal people and weren't so obnoxious and entitled. And making this into some North vs. South thing is so ridiculous, I won't even address it.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh hell yes. I guarantee at least a good 25% of the people rooting for Notre Dame against Alabama are doing it purely because they're anti-SEC and I am glad to call myself part of that 25%.

My distaste for Notre Dame outweighs my distaste for the SEC (or, rather the attention it gets and the monotony of them winning this thing every year). Roll Tide...I guess.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Your posts and commentary on this topic whenever it comes up are always the worst and most ridiculous. The SEC and the Confederacy overlap? Why can't you just admit that deep down you are jealous of the South and all its glory. Just because you can't wrap your head around the idea of a segment of population that has some connection with each other that YOU can't explain or participate in, doesn't mean you should just hate it.

What you also don't realize is that no one really takes offense when you crack a Southern joke. We just think you are stupid because many of you really believe the stereotypes while we continue to kick ass in football, have the best food in America, enjoy some of the best weather, have no doubt the hottest and sexiest women in America, and the other reasons why all you damned people from Ohio, Michigan, and the rest of the NE area continue to move down! I love and thank God that I was born in the South because there is nowhere else like it and a lot of you prove it!

Seriously, this forum (mainly this thread) has some of the biggest haters and whiney sissies that I have come across on the internet. Most of you wouldn't begin to say the things on here that you do in real life towards that person anyhow. I remind myself all the time that I am talking football and sports with a group of people that, likely, never really participated in them since they were in Pop Warner football or tee ball. There are fortunately a few that make it enjoyable, some that I tolerate, and sometimes I wonder how some of you ever made your way onto this forum.

If you pull for your team too much, you are considered a douchebag pain in the ass. Support your conference...and the idea is ridiculous and you are attacked. Then it is tied into Confederacy, trailer parks (which we get it, you mean "trailer trash"), and somehow slavery too.

mama-june-600.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

Media bias towards the SEC? Never! :suspect:

ESPN was in rare form when gearing up for the Capital One Bowl.

To illustrate Georgia's rush defense they showed clips of the Dawgs shutting down Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee. To show how Nebraska's multiple-offense might attack UGA, they showed clips of Alabama, South Carolina and Florida playing against Georgia.

Color me biased, but you'd think that in their pre-game coverage they might show some Cornhusker highlights, seeing how Nebraska was one of the teams actually playing in said bowl.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Is it not odd that most participants of this thread seem to be geographically located in areas outside the Southeast (with few exceptions), yet 75 percent of the discussion, outside of focusing on a particular game, is about the SEC?

No, what's odd is that the biggest homer on these boards is a homer for a conference.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm one of those people. On any other day, you bet I'll be rooting against Notre Dame. Come the title game, you bet I'll be rooting for the Domers. That makes me a giant hypocrite, since I am being a bandwagon jumper, but I don't care. The stakes are too high.

So let me get this right: it is okay to pull against the SEC as one entity as an act of casting hate upon it...but it is not okay to pull for the SEC to win against OOC opponents?

Why is the idea of supporting your conference so hard to grasp? When South Carolina plays Georgia or LSU or Florida...I want nothing more but for those teams to be embarrassed on a national stage and for Carolina to taste the victory and steal the spotlight. However, if Georgia is playing against Virginia Tech or Alabama against Michigan or SEC vs OOC...I want the SEC team to win. Why? Because I feel like it is good for the conference overall. It is not the same as professional sports because the regional ties are not present and in the South, we don't really flock to professional sports like we do collegiate.

Of course Alabama winning the National Championship does nothing directly for us, but if you don't think that it helps the other schools...you are mistaken. The SEC's success make big time recruits want to play in the SEC because they want to win National Championships. You have that bargaining chip. Also, the money is a factor. It is split among the conference. If we can assure 2 teams (or 3 like last year), then that is more money for better facilities, better coaches, etc. That is what brings better talent in the form of recruits and ultimately wins and championships. Let's not forget the huge television and radio deals.

I have been able to see it first hand with South Carolina in the past 10 years. You should see how our campus facilities have exploded in the past 10 years (brand new baseball stadium, brand new basketball stadium, $6 million dollar video board at football stadium, brand new locker rooms, new Student Athlete facility, and we are building a new practice facility). Look at what Vanderbilt has been able to do. Is the success a fluke? Maybe.

You can call me crazy or a homer or whatever you would like, but there is value for MY university in pulling for the conference to be successful. I'm sorry some of you do not feel this way or understand, but maybe you will one day when it is all too late.

No, what's odd is that the biggest homer on these boards is a homer for a conference.

Honestly, I always try to refrain from posting a lot of pro-SEC things in this forum ever since willmorris was branded with that title. Maybe I have assumed his role in your minds, who knows, but I can say that I am hesitant to post anything regarding my own university or the SEC in fear of getting into another "ESS EEE SEE" battle with you guys. Look at what Raysfan was subjected to. I know he posts a lot of Big East/Louisville stuff, but the man couldn't even get his 5 minutes after his team had a big win without the sourpusses and the downers chiming in with the "meaningless bowl games" banter.

Anyhow, carry on guys.

I'll admit, I root for all the teams in the Pac-12. I want them to win their bowl games and out of conference games. Part of that is because I feel like the Pac-12 is constantly fighting for respect, because they don't get much media coverage (outside of USC and Oregon) on the east coast. I can get rooting for a conference. What I don't get, is taking that conference, and constantly telling people how awesome it is. I don't think the Pac-12 is the best conference in football. I don't think it has to best fans. The reason I don't like the SEC is because their fanbase CONSTANTLY brags. Nobody likes a braggart.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Your posts and commentary on this topic whenever it comes up are always the worst and most ridiculous. The SEC and the Confederacy overlap? Why can't you just admit that deep down you are jealous of the South and all its glory. Just because you can't wrap your head around the idea of a segment of population that has some connection with each other that YOU can't explain or participate in, doesn't mean you should just hate it.

What you also don't realize is that no one really takes offense when you crack a Southern joke. We just think you are stupid because many of you really believe the stereotypes while we continue to kick ass in football, have the best food in America, enjoy some of the best weather, have no doubt the hottest and sexiest women in America, and the other reasons why all you damned people from Ohio, Michigan, and the rest of the NE area continue to move down! I love and thank God that I was born in the South because there is nowhere else like it and a lot of you prove it!

Seriously, this forum (mainly this thread) has some of the biggest haters and whiney sissies that I have come across on the internet. Most of you wouldn't begin to say the things on here that you do in real life towards that person anyhow. I remind myself all the time that I am talking football and sports with a group of people that, likely, never really participated in them since they were in Pop Warner football or tee ball. There are fortunately a few that make it enjoyable, some that I tolerate, and sometimes I wonder how some of you ever made your way onto this forum.

If you pull for your team too much, you are considered a douchebag pain in the ass. Support your conference...and the idea is ridiculous and you are attacked. Then it is tied into Confederacy, trailer parks (which we get it, you mean "trailer trash"), and somehow slavery too.

Ok Cola, I know where you're coming from. As a fellow Southerner(North Carolina) that enjoys football, fandom gets in the way sometimes. But dude, that is some serious rage up there. Personally, I can see ties to most southern universities with the Confederacy. It's part of the past. But I don't want to get into a flame war. Now about the whole "South's the best! Those who disagree can GTFO!" case you made, if traveled to other places around the world, so I can say that there are some problems that we have. The best time of the year for weather is the spring, because in the summer, it's humid as f***, and in the winter, (at least here) is cold as f***. And we have some "hammer" girls too. Don't get me wrong, I like the South, but its not paradise. And I pull for the ACC sometimes, but not like the SEC. Maybe it's just a different mindset for each conference, but there is a scene of animosity down there. Trust me Cola, it comes from a good place.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Ok Cola, I know where you're coming from. As a fellow Southerner(North Carolina) that enjoys football, fandom gets in the way sometimes. But dude, that is some serious rage up there. Personally, I can see ties to most southern universities with the Confederacy. It's part of the past. But I don't want to get into a flame war. Now about the whole "South's the best! Those who disagree can GTFO!" case you made, if traveled to other places around the world, so I can say that there are some problems that we have. The best time of the year for weather is the spring, because in the summer, it's humid as f***, and in the winter, (at least here) is cold as f***. And we have some "hammer" girls too. Don't get me wrong, I like the South, but its not paradise. And I pull for the ACC sometimes, but not like the SEC. Maybe it's just a different mindset for each conference, but there is a scene of animosity down there. Trust me Cola, it comes from a good place.

Yeah, so maybe I got carried away (a tiny bit)...but these people on here kill me sometimes. I have traveled around quite a bit myself and in the US, I just feel like the Southeast is the best place to grow up and live overall (of course I know there are spots all around that are awesome). Mainly though, these people irk me because a conversation about football can turn into politics and that is just nuts. I mean...we went from talking trailer parks to SEC football to Confederacy then to Nazi Germany. I feel like I am taking crazy pills reading this forum sometimes.

I'll admit, I root for all the teams in the Pac-12. I want them to win their bowl games and out of conference games. Part of that is because I feel like the Pac-12 is constantly fighting for respect, because they don't get much media coverage (outside of USC and Oregon) on the east coast. I can get rooting for a conference. What I don't get, is taking that conference, and constantly telling people how awesome it is. I don't think the Pac-12 is the best conference in football. I don't think it has to best fans. The reason I don't like the SEC is because their fanbase CONSTANTLY brags. Nobody likes a braggart.

It is definitely tough to stay up and watch those west coast games unless the matchup is spectacular. Even then, most people are in bed.

On the contrary, you have it good because the west coast is why we (east coast) have to wait until almost 9pm or later to watch a bowl game or professional playoff game...putting us in bed after midnight with little room to enjoy a few adult beverages before we get up early for work the next day.

Why is the idea of supporting your conference so hard to grasp? When South Carolina plays Georgia or LSU or Florida...I want nothing more but for those teams to be embarrassed on a national stage and for Carolina to taste the victory and steal the spotlight. However, if Georgia is playing against Virginia Tech or Alabama against Michigan or SEC vs OOC...I want the SEC team to win. Why? Because I feel like it is good for the conference overall. It is not the same as professional sports because the regional ties are not present and in the South, we don't really flock to professional sports like we do collegiate.

This is an alien concept because there really is no net benefit to South Carolina if Alabama, LSU, or Florida are successful out of conference. Crackalacky is going to get its pick from the same slate of bowls regardless of the outside success of others, based on deals that were negotiated before the season. Indeed, there might be some benefit to South Carolina for on field destruction to be visited upon your in-conference rivals because that increases your chances of getting into a prestige Bowl. Meanwhile, transitive strength of schedule is only relevant if you actually play the teams who won those big out of conference games. Alabama smoking Michigan meant jack diddly to South Carolina's strength as a football team this season because YOU DIDN'T :censored: ING PLAY THEM!

Of course Alabama winning the National Championship does nothing directly for us, but if you don't think that it helps the other schools...you are mistaken. The SEC's success make big time recruits want to play in the SEC because they want to win National Championships. You have that bargaining chip. Also, the money is a factor. It is split among the conference. If we can assure 2 teams (or 3 like last year), then that is more money for better facilities, better coaches, etc. That is what brings better talent in the form of recruits and ultimately wins and championships. Let's not forget the huge television and radio deals.

You only got two teams in the super prestige bowls last season. The rest of the Bowl money is more or less guaranteed to be coming into Conference coffers regardless because Bowl games were lined up before the season even began. It's just a matter of who gets what on the field Meanwhile, the TV money is driven more by the perceived fanbase and viewership-which would be there regardless of how well or poorly the league as a whole was doing. The Big Ten may play like :censored: the last few years, but it isn't negatively affecting the TV money. As for recruiting, it's not having the impact you think it has because other schools can say that Missouri, the Mississippis, Kentucky, Vandy, etc. retain no shot at an SEC title and by extension a national championship because they will never outstrip Alabama, LSU, Florida, or Georgia. South Carolina's recruiting success may have a lot more to do with the opportunity to play for Steve Spurrier rather than the opportunity to play in the SEC.

I have been able to see it first hand with South Carolina in the past 10 years. You should see how our campus facilities have exploded in the past 10 years (brand new baseball stadium, brand new basketball stadium, $6 million dollar video board at football stadium, brand new locker rooms, new Student Athlete facility, and we are building a new practice facility). Look at what Vanderbilt has been able to do. Is the success a fluke? Maybe.

The money has facilitated the success far more than the success has facilitated the money. You'll be getting the money if the SEC drops big OOC games from now until the entire rotten cable tv-money fueled edifice collapses.

You can call me crazy or a homer or whatever you would like, but there is value for MY university in pulling for the conference to be successful. I'm sorry some of you do not feel this way or understand, but maybe you will one day when it is all too late.

Not really. I'd rather see utter destruction visited upon Conference rivals because there is more marginal benefit to my team in that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The money has facilitated the success far more than the success has facilitated the money. You'll be getting the money if the SEC drops big OOC games from now until the entire rotten cable tv-money fueled edifice collapses.

That was my point. The success of the conference has brought in money through multiple outlets. That money has filtered into our program to make it more appealing (facilities, coaching, etc). Thus, it has brought in better recruiting classes and garnered success.

That was my point. The success of the conference has brought in money through multiple outlets. That money has filtered into our program to make it more appealing (facilities, coaching, etc). Thus, it has brought in better recruiting classes and garnered success.

And you missed mine. You'd be getting the money over the last decade regardless of what happened on the field.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And you missed mine. You'd be getting the money over the last decade regardless of what happened on the field.

Example: UK's football program. They are mostly not very good and they still rake in a ton of money because of the SEC.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

You only got two teams in the super prestige bowls last season. The rest of the Bowl money is more or less guaranteed to be coming into Conference coffers regardless because Bowl games were lined up before the season even began. It's just a matter of who gets what on the field Meanwhile, the TV money is driven more by the perceived fanbase and viewership-which would be there regardless of how well or poorly the league as a whole was doing. The Big Ten may play like :censored: the last few years, but it isn't negatively affecting the TV money. As for recruiting, it's not having the impact you think it has because other schools can say that Missouri, the Mississippis, Kentucky, Vandy, etc. retain no shot at an SEC title and by extension a national championship because they will never outstrip Alabama, LSU, Florida, or Georgia. South Carolina's recruiting success may have a lot more to do with the opportunity to play for Steve Spurrier rather than the opportunity to play in the SEC.

Bringing Texas A&M into the mix wasn't just random. Neither was Mizzou. That is TV markets which means more $$$. I guess we are talking just football here, but this football money drives all the other sports...important to remember that.

I found numbers from 2010 that showed the SEC made $15 million more than the Big East and $10 million more than ACC in bowl game payouts. $5 million more than Big 10 or Big 12.

Last year, the story was similar with SEC gaining most $$$- but the Big 10 was a bit closer than $5 million. The gap between Big East increased to $20 million. A little over $10 million more than Pac-12.

So, I don't know what each conference does with the payouts regarding splitting...but I'd say that is a significant difference with the total amount up for grabs.

Bringing Texas A&M into the mix wasn't just random. Neither was Mizzou. That is TV markets which means more $$$. I guess we are talking just football here, but this football money drives all the other sports...important to remember that.

I found numbers from 2010 that showed the SEC made $15 million more than the Big East and $10 million more than ACC in bowl game payouts. $5 million more than Big 10 or Big 12.

Last year, the story was similar with SEC gaining most $$$- but the Big 10 was a bit closer than $5 million. The gap between Big East increased to $20 million. A little over $10 million more than Pac-12.

So, I don't know what each conference does with the payouts regarding splitting...but I'd say that is a significant difference with the total amount up for grabs.

And the SEC would have gotten that money this season if it only had two or 1 10 win teams thanks to pre-existing tie-ins. And those tie-ins exist because of the size of the fanbase; not because of how good those teams are. The same applies to the Big Ten.

Mind you, TV money is where the real money is still.

Today, we are all otaku.

In case somebody is actually watching the cotton bowl...

Yeah buddy!

When FOX seriously botched their own timing and were interviewing Sumlin as opposed to showing the opening kickoff, I moved to Bulls@Heat and onto the PGA Tour.

Over the year, FOX finally got their audio cleared up but everything else in terms of their network broadcast needs immediate help. The studio show is awful (far too late on Saturdays to run features since ABC/ESPN is airing an actual game plus poor hosts and set chemistry); Gus is too loud on every play and Charles Davis is the saving grace every week. Charles Davis, who in the last four years has been better on The Golf Channel in terms of analysis.

Archived