2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But really, it'd be interesting to see Oregon and Notre Dame play for the championship IMO.

A 55-7 woodshed beating interests you? :therock:

It would not be 55-7. I would guess it would be around 28-17 Ducks.

I agree. If Notre Dame beats USC, then I really want a Oregon-Notre Dame final. Manti Teo vs. Kenjon Barner would be interesting and it wouldn't be a blowout. I agree that Oregon would probably win, but Notre Dame has really good run defense. Anyway, to get to that position, Notre Dame will have to convincingly beat USC. KSU can play Texas A&M, the most exciting team in CFB, and Johnny Manziel in the Fiesta Bowl. Now that would also be a great game. While I'm at it, here are my other ideal bowl Matchups.

No.

Kansas State gets in over the Irish. You want good? Look at what the Wildcats are doing in the Big 12, look at their defense (if you're pimping Notre Dame for that) and you want stories or meta-narratives for lazy sportswriting? How about "Bill Snyder finally can win the championship he rightly and truly deserves because Jesus Christ y'all, look at where Kansas State was historically and where it has been under his watch. Snyder is probably one of the 5 best coaches in college football over the last 30 years based on that evaluation, and he can potentially cap off his career on top. That's just as good as "AWAKEN THE ECHOES" and "Everyone who knows and loves Manti Te'o is doomed to die in short order and we should feel sorry for him"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If it does come down to Kansas State vs. Notre Dame, the edge HAS to go to the Wildcats. Why? BCS Conference school > Independent "Whatever. I do what I want" school.

Scanning for objectivity....0% objectivity found, initiating haters/hate sequence....

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

So it looks like Tedford is having Cal go all kamikaze on Oregon tonight.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Despite how we performed tonight, I still think that we need Dion Jordan back in order to beat Stanford. Cal's offense is terrible, so of course we only held them to 17 points. Even then, we let them run all over us in the first half. We're basically playing our second string offense out there with all the injuries. Oregon can't do that if they want to win a National Championship.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

It's their coaches. Ellis Johnson wasn't prepared for a head coaching job. One of the corridinators was a head coach at a local high school previously.

Seeing as how Johnson won't have a job after this season, I wouldn't mind Mississippi State getting him back as d-corridinator.

Bama's loss almost seals the deal for a KSU-Oregon or ND Championship. All ND, Oregon, and KSU have to do is win the remaining games because mostly a undefeated Oregon, KSU, and ND > 1 loss Alabama. I'm not insulting Alabama, but it is incredibly likely that Bama won't make it to the National Championship this year.

Crazy concept I know, but this is all these teams had to do in the past to get there...contrary to the SEC conspiracy theories. Instead, those teams found a way to drop the ball.

Just for you conspiracy theorists out there, do you realize the possibility for an all-SEC national championship game is still there and somewhat likely? If K State loses to Texas, Oregon drops one to either Oregon State/Stanford, and Notre Dame likely blows a load to Southern Cal...the "earliest loser" advantage will come into play for Alabama and they will be sitting at #1 again.

Who would be #2 at that point? Essentially, we would have the opposite of what happened last year- Florida would sneak into the title game as the #2 due to not playing in the SECCG. Again, this is assuming Bama would beat UGA in the SECCG.

Also, in case you missed it- I think DJ Swearinger's personal foul, personal foul, TD/personal foul is worth a watch. Guy plays with a tenacity that the game deserves and that hit was a thing of beauty (totally a bull :censored: call).

Bama's loss almost seals the deal for a KSU-Oregon or ND Championship. All ND, Oregon, and KSU have to do is win the remaining games because mostly a undefeated Oregon, KSU, and ND > 1 loss Alabama. I'm not insulting Alabama, but it is incredibly likely that Bama won't make it to the National Championship this year.

Crazy concept I know, but this is all these teams had to do in the past to get there...contrary to the SEC conspiracy theories. Instead, those teams found a way to drop the ball.

Just for you conspiracy theorists out there, do you realize the possibility for an all-SEC national championship game is still there and somewhat likely? If K State loses to Texas, Oregon drops one to either Oregon State/Stanford, and Notre Dame likely blows a load to Southern Cal...the "earliest loser" advantage will come into play for Alabama and they will be sitting at #1 again.

Who would be #2 at that point? Essentially, we would have the opposite of what happened last year- Florida would sneak into the title game as the #2 due to not playing in the SECCG. Again, this is assuming Bama would beat UGA in the SECCG.

Well, first of all, Florida has to win in Tallahassee against a very good Florida State team. Given that Florida was less than two minutes away from losing to LA-Lafayette (a team good enough to reach the bowls, yes, but not a team Florida should struggle that badly against in Gainesville), I'm not exactly expecting Florida to win that game, at this point in time. Obviously, I hope they do.

Furthermore, in the interest of total fairness, I would really loathe seeing Florida get into the NCG through such means. I railed on Alabama getting in last year when they didn't even play in the SEC Championship, and I think it would be total BS if Florida were to do the same.

spacer.png

It's their coaches. Ellis Johnson wasn't prepared for a head coaching job. One of the corridinators was a head coach at a local high school previously.

Seeing as how Johnson won't have a job after this season, I wouldn't mind Mississippi State getting him back as d-corridinator.

The high school part is not as bad as you think, since Art Briles went from Stephenville HS to his HC gig at Houston. The problem is that OC Steve Buckley is a USM alum (and Johnson's friend), was promoted in late May as Rickey Bustle had a health scare and they switched positions. Buckley was to be in charge of recruiting, but you cannot do that when you are the OC and looking at film all the time.

Plus, the near majority of the coaching staff never worked at the FBS level and they hired a Strength Coach who has ties with Buckley and while possessing a PhD in Exercise Science, the guy was working in the real estate business for the last 20 years rather in football.

I don't know if all of you heard of this, but Washington State star Wideout Marquess Wilson leaves the team, citing abuse to Leach (again).

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/20925251/marquess-wilson-leaves-washington-state-claiming-abuse-by-coaching-staff

Not jumping to any conclusions. What abuse is he talking about?

Unless they drop the ball in the next two weeks, LSU is projected by CBS Sports to go to the Fiesta Bowl. I'll take it.

They must be assuming Bama can't get back into the NCG but beats Georgia in the SECCG, and that Florida falls to FSU.

Only way I can see LSU making a BCS bowl at this point. Here are my projections for SEC teams (pending Kansas State/Oregon/Notre Dame doesn't piss it away):

Sugar Bowl: Alabama

BCS At-Large Bowl (Fiesta/Orange): Georgia (I am assuming FSU beats Florida and Georgia loses a close SECCG)

Capital One: Florida

Cotton: Texas aTm (huge boner opportunity here for this bowl with a Texas matchup)

Outback: LSU

Peach: South Carolina

Gator: Miss State

If Georgia loses to Bama, they don't get into a BCS game over A&M or LSU assuming both those teams win out.

If Alabama wins out and Flordia loses to FSU, my projections are:

Sugar: BAMA

Fiesta: LSU

Cotton: Texas A&M

Capitol One: Georgia

Peach: Florida

What's interesting is Texas is projected to be the Big XII team in the Cotton Bowl.. Aggies have to be licking their chops.

Archived