2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Here we go.

• USC or WF upsets ND
  • Stanford, Oregon State or USC/UCLA upsets Oregon
  • Texas beats Kansas State
  • Alabama loses the SECCG to Georgia

BCS National Title Game: Georgia vs. Florida II: Cocktail Party of the Century

People would die. It would make LSU/Alabama teabagger look like child's play.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go.

• USC or WF upsets ND
  • Stanford, Oregon State or USC/UCLA upsets Oregon
  • Texas beats Kansas State
  • Alabama loses the SECCG to Georgia

BCS National Title Game: Georgia vs. Florida II: Cocktail Party of the Century

People would die. It would make LSU/Alabama teabagger look like child's play.

If the voters put a team that needed a blocked punt to beat Louisiana Lafayette at home, in the national championship game, all is truly lost.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

You know, I'm surprised more people aren't making a big deal out of the ULL close call.

That's because, barring an apocalyptic scenario, Florida is irrelevant in the National Title picture.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

You know, I'm surprised more people aren't making a big deal out of the ULL close call.

That's because, barring an apocalyptic scenario, Florida is irrelevant in the National Title picture.

Yeah, but look at all of those SEC teams in that top 10. How deserving are they if one of their heavy hitters got lucky to beat a Sun Belt team at home?

Yeah, but look at all of those SEC teams in that top 10. How deserving are they if one of their heavy hitters got lucky to beat a Sun Belt team at home?

Not very. The SEX has done nothing but beat teams withint their own conference.

Well, more deserving than Texas A&M, LSU, or South Carolina, given that those would all be two loss teams, and teams that Florida beat this season (A&M being in College Station). That ULL game was awful, and I said myself that Florida's talent does not match the ranking, but there's a plenty good reason why they are above those other three SEC teams, and an obvious reason why they are below Georgia. And I also re-iterate that, on the same grounds of Alabama in 2011, I do not believe Florida has any right to the NCG even if every other break falls their way first. They didn't reach the SECCG, they shouldn't reach the NCG.

The biggest problem with that logic, unfortunately (or fortunately, in my biased case), is that the other three SEC teams wouldn't be deserving either, and now you're digging into teams currently ranked in the 10s for that second spot in the NCG. And if the NCG were something like Georgia-Florida St., I would be puking my brains out.

But the Gators have to beat Florida St. to even make themselves relevant in this discussion, so I won't endeavour this any further until they actually manage to win that game. It's not a likely scenario.

spacer.png

If it comes down to the Seminoles with the ball in the final seconds, down by any less than four points, you better damn well believe it'll be a likely scenario.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For what it's worth, the SEC is a collective 37-7 against out-of-conference opponents. I don't think another BCS conference can match that winning percentage.....

It doesn't really mean much until all the games get played, though.

They also played mostly FCS and Sun Belt teams.

The thought that we don't even have 10 good teams in the country comes readily to mind.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Let's break this down.

SEC vs:

ACC: 1-1

Big 10: 1-1

Big XII: 0-1

Big East: 0-2

C-USA: 7-0

MAC: 5-0

PAC-12: 2-0

Sun Belt: 10-2

WAC: 3-0

FCS: 8-0

37-7, factor out the non-AQ conferences and you're left with 4-5. Yeah, the 37-7 argument makes things look a lot rosier.

Extra: Two of the four first year FBS squads, South Alabama and UMass, took on SEC opponents. South Alabama was one of three Sun Belt teams Mississippi State faced, they rounded out their out of conference slate with an FCS team.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

The thought that we don't even have 10 good teams in the country comes readily to mind.

Not a bad thought. You could be right. One could also argue parity.

Let's break this down.

SEC vs:

ACC: 1-1

Big 10: 1-1

Big XII: 0-1

Big East: 0-2

C-USA: 7-0

MAC: 5-0

PAC-12: 2-0

Sun Belt: 10-2

WAC: 3-0

FCS: 8-0

37-7, factor out the non-AQ conferences and you're left with 4-5. Yeah, the 37-7 argument makes things look a lot rosier.

Extra: Two of the four first year FBS squads, South Alabama and UMass, took on SEC opponents. South Alabama was one of three Sun Belt teams Mississippi State faced, they rounded out their out of conference slate with an FCS team.

That fact that they aren't undefeated against the Sun Belt, and that they are 0-2 against the Big East stick out to me.

Exactly 75% of the SEC's non-conference games have been against non-AQ conferences or FCS opponents.

I think it also bears some investigation as to when those games are played. The SEC has long been scheduling match ups against Samford, Citadel or Grambling in Weeks 10-14. This allows a front-runner to emerge earlier than other conferences and they garner more media love. Shrewd.

Ironically though, that practice is hurting them in 2012. With 3 other undefeated teams out there, the SEC is struggling for quality wins late in the season. While Alabama is buying a win over Western Carolina, Oregon will likely be taking a tough Stanford team to the woodshed.

Looks like the SEC's scheduling hijinx may come back to bite them.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Does it really matter when you play your cupcakes (and every team has them)? If it does matter, why is the method the SEC chooses...one early, one late...the "wrong and evil" way to go about it?

Nebraska could have played Idaho this weekend.

One thing to consider in the ACC or SEC- a lot of the last games are rivalry games and a good bit are non-conference: UGA/GT, Florida/FSU, Carolina/Clemson, and Vanderbilt/Wake as of late.

I also think there has to be a point when you look at body of work rather than wins and losses. People go crazy when a 3 loss team is ranked above a 2 loss or 1 loss team. Why is it hard to understand that everyone doesn't play on an even playing field in terms of competition? You have to rank on merit and not just W/L.

My Gamecocks are on track for their second best season in school history in the toughest conference in America and in the Top 10 in rankings- close losses to 2 teams in the Top 10 as well...but the best we are hoping for right now? Maybe Outback? Likely Peach or Gator? Having to please everyone by automatic conference tie-in invites to large bowl games bothers me when we also have a ranking system in place (whether you like the BCS or not).

Does it really matter when you play your cupcakes (and every team has them)? If it does matter, why is the method the SEC chooses...one early, one late...the "wrong and evil" way to go about it?

Nebraska could have played Idaho this weekend.

One thing to consider in the ACC or SEC- a lot of the last games are rivalry games and a good bit are non-conference: UGA/GT, Florida/FSU, Carolina/Clemson, and Vanderbilt/Wake as of late.

I also think there has to be a point when you look at body of work rather than wins and losses. People go crazy when a 3 loss team is ranked above a 2 loss or 1 loss team. Why is it hard to understand that everyone doesn't play on an even playing field in terms of competition? You have to rank on merit and not just W/L.

My Gamecocks are on track for their second best season in school history in the toughest conference in America and in the Top 10 in rankings- close losses to 2 teams in the Top 10 as well...but the best we are hoping for right now? Maybe Outback? Likely Peach or Gator? Having to please everyone by automatic conference tie-in invites to large bowl games bothers me when we also have a ranking system in place (whether you like the BCS or not).

But they didn't.

And the SEC doesn't have a body of work other than beating other teams in the SEC.

Archived