TCU to unveil new graphic identity

gdu

Horned lizards (Phrynosoma). Phrynosoma literally means "toad-bodied".

Sue, they are kind of fat looking like toads. Here is a horned lizard and a horned toad for comparison.

1200665783_iBsBw-L.jpg

6O3PD00Z.jpg

Whilst I appreciate people are attached to the current mark, I think the secondary is a far more accuarate representation of the real thing.

2661.gif

Why call UNT's mascot the Mean Green when their mascot is clearly an eagle? Why does Tulsa, located in a landlocked state at least 500 miles from the nearest ocean, have 'hurricane' as a nickname? And what the hell's a a Jayhawk? (btw, I do know some reasons behind the names, but it's not like they're the most logical things on the planet)

Some names make less sense than others. Besides, considering all the other b.s. that goes on around the current college football landscape, I think they can get away with calling a lizard a "frog".

Not saying the cant, just saying that the animal referred to is the Texas horned lizard. I like original (region specific) mascots. I never understand why new organisations chose cougars/ eagles or why American soccer teams coopt European monikers like Real that are at best contrived anachronisms... Perhaps I miss the entomological reasons, but it seems retarded.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sue, they are kind of fat looking like toads. Here is a horned lizard and a horned toad for comparison.

1200665783_iBsBw-L.jpg

6O3PD00Z.jpg

Whilst I appreciate people are attached to the current mark, I think the secondary is a far more accuarate representation of the real thing.

2661.gif

Why call UNT's mascot the Mean Green when their mascot is clearly an eagle? Why does Tulsa, located in a landlocked state at least 500 miles from the nearest ocean, have 'hurricane' as a nickname? And what the hell's a a Jayhawk? (btw, I do know some reasons behind the names, but it's not like they're the most logical things on the planet)

Some names make less sense than others. Besides, considering all the other b.s. that goes on around the current college football landscape, I think they can get away with calling a lizard a "frog".

Not saying the cant, just saying that the animal referred to is the Texas horned lizard. I like original (region specific) mascots. I never understand why new organisations chose cougars/ eagles or why American soccer teams coopt European monikers like Real that are at best contrived anachronisms... Perhaps I miss the entomological reasons, but it seems retarded.

Why's it gotta be 'retarded'? It's just a name. It's not like they're calling bird.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Both 'horned toad' and horned frog' are colloquial nicknames for the Texas horned lizard, even though, biologically speaking, it is neither a toad nor a frog.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Both 'horned toad' and horned frog' are colloquial nicknames for the Texas horned lizard, even though, biologically speaking, it is neither a toad nor a frog.

This. The top picture is called a "Horny Toad" and is what the old logo looked like. The new logo just looks like a random lizard. That's not to say it's a bad logo; it's just that the old logo looked more like the toads you see around here.

This. The top picture is called a "Horny Toad" and is what the old logo looked like. The new logo just looks like a random lizard. That's not to say it's a bad logo; it's just that the old logo looked more like the toads you see around here.

Did you not read the last few posts? It is supposed to be a horned lizard. And so is the old fat logo.

Why call UNT's mascot the Mean Green when their mascot is clearly an eagle?

North Texas (my alma mater BTW) uses two separate nicknames: Eagles and Mean Green.

Here's the story - straight from the book "What's in a Nickname?" by Ray Franks, circa 1982:

Since 1922 after a student body vote, North Texas State U. (!) has been known as Eagles. But in 1966, a second nickname was born that generally is preferred by modern-day followers of the Texas school. The "Mean Green" moniker started when Joe Greene, college and pro football great, was a sophomore defensive tackle at North Texas. It was used originally as the Mean Green Defense. By 1967, students and media began referring to the entire team as Mean Green. At that time, Greene himself was not known as "Mean Joe". That began his rookie year with the Pittsburgh Steelers when Yankee writers confused his last name with the school's alternate nickname.

Did you not read the last few posts? It is supposed to be a horned lizard. And so is the old fat logo.

I have read the last few posts. I also live out here. I've seen enough horned toads to know that the old one looks more like a horned toad than the new one.

I have read the last few posts. I also live out here. I've seen enough horned toads to know that the old one looks more like a horned toad than the new one.

Weird. I've seen plenty too and I think the new one looks more like the real thing.

North Texas (my alma mater BTW) uses two separate nicknames: Eagles and Mean Green.

Here's the story - straight from the book "What's in a Nickname?" by Ray Franks, circa 1982:

Since 1922 after a student body vote, North Texas State U. (!) has been known as Eagles. But in 1966, a second nickname was born that generally is preferred by modern-day followers of the Texas school. The "Mean Green" moniker started when Joe Greene, college and pro football great, was a sophomore defensive tackle at North Texas. It was used originally as the Mean Green Defense. By 1967, students and media began referring to the entire team as Mean Green. At that time, Greene himself was not known as "Mean Joe". That began his rookie year with the Pittsburgh Steelers when Yankee writers confused his last name with the school's alternate nickname.

Yeah, I know about Mean Joe, but if your gonna have an Eagle as your mascot and logo, why not just be Eagles?

(I know, it's just a nickname)

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Yeah, I know about Mean Joe, but if your gonna have an Eagle as your mascot and logo, why not just be Eagles?

Why don't you go ask them folks at Auburn about that? :P

"WAR EAGLE"

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Why don't you go ask them folks at Auburn about that? :P

"WAR EAGLE"

"War Eagle" is more of a saying/greeting than a nickname. It's very rare to hear us referred to as the "Auburn War Eagles". Pretty much the only time you hear "War Eagle" is on kickoffs and when you see an Auburn fan, instead of saying "Hey" you say "War Eagle!". Plus we have a lot of Tiger things around campus.

camnewton2.jpg

Auburn University Alum

I know...its just strange nonetheless, especially ro folks who have no clue about Auburn.

I am curious now, though: are there any other programs that have "dual nicknames" (or I guess I should say "mascots") in the same vein as North Texas and, to a lesser extent, Auburn?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I know...its just strange nonetheless, especially ro folks who have no clue about Auburn.

I am curious now, though: are there any other programs that have "dual nicknames" (or I guess I should say "mascots") in the same vein as North Texas and, to a lesser extent, Auburn?

Georgia's team is referred to as "The Silver Britches" by most die-hards. Its own athletic website lists that as an "alternate nickname"

Georgia Tech: "Ramblin Wreck" and "Yellow Jackets"

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Murray State teams are the Racers for every sport except baseball, where they are known as the Thoroughbreds.

Also, the University of Arkansas-Monticello has two outstanding nicknames: Boll Weevils and the Cotton Blossems.

90758391980.gif

Louisiana Tech's men's teams are called the Bulldogs, but their women's teams are the Lady Techsters...wonder what a women's team would have against bulldogs.

(realizes what female dogs are called)...OK, well that hasn't stopped UGA, Mississippi State, Fresno State, Gonzaga, or YALE last time I checked!

bYhYmxh.png

1200665783_iBsBw-L.jpg

6O3PD00Z.jpg

2661.gif

I kinda like how the new log....ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!!!!!

Archived