2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... I feel like it might make more sense if you swapped TB and FLA for CHI and DET. But I suppose they wouldn't want 5 original six teams to be in the same conference. Any other thoughts on this?

I think FLA/TB are where they are because:

-The PA teams complained to stay together and PHI wants to be with the NYC teams.

-MON and TOR to a lesser extent are good draws in FLA/TB because of the snowbirds.

DET/CBJ hinted that they were cool with staying in their division/conference if they only had to play the West Coast teams 1x/season on the road. So everyone will play everyone else outside of their conference/division 1x and the rest are in division.

I think this has the votes to pass. All the MT/PT timezone teams are together, DAL gets in a division with teams in its timezone, MIN gets back with some friends, DET/CBJ get several more games in their own timezone, and PHX (or anyone else) can be moved with relative ease. WPG might not like it, but MIN is close by and they might be told if it doesn't pass you get another season in the Southeast division.

My only complaint is the playoff odds, but that's how it was before I followed hockey so I'm sure people like myself will get used to it.

Oh...I really like the idea that any teams could meet in the semifinals or Stanley Cup Final. Imagine having a BOS/MON or NYR/PHI final. It would be, wait for it, legendary.

I've only been following hockey since I fell in love with it during 2008 playoffs, so it looks like we're sort of in the same boat. Veteran hockey fans probably know better than myself, so if it this proposal pleases those folks, I'm for it. I'm really curious about how TB and FLA fans feel about it, though.

I spent the last hour using this map to come up with a better realignment. It was really tough to come up with something that I found better than the proposal at hand. I think it's the best they can do, based on what the teams are asking for. It would be easy just to swap Winnipeg and Nashville and maintain six divisions, but I guess Detroit and other teams in that area still wouldn't be satisfied.

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Puck Daddy nailed it: Florida and Tampa are in that division for snowbird revenue. You won't hear them complaining. Take Phoenix out of the Smythe and put Quebec in the Patrick, and bang, you're set with two 15-team (unofficial) conferences. This proposal makes far too much sense for the NHL, which is why I fully expect "Detroit Red Wings - 2012-13 Southeast Division Champions" to be an actuality next season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Puck Daddy nailed it: Florida and Tampa are in that division for snowbird revenue. You won't hear them complaining.

That makes sense.

I'm not a fan of it though. I'd prefer the Leafs to be in a Conference/Division/whateverGary'scallingthemthisweek with the Wild, Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Jets.

They should have an Original 6 division. OK, maybe not. But it would be cool.

I'm getting kind of tired of the Leafs playing the Habs so much every year. It's the sport's oldest rivalry, but it's been so watered down since the Leafs moved to the Eastern Conference. I'd like to see the Leafs join a neo-Norris/Great Lakes division.

Puck Daddy nailed it: Florida and Tampa are in that division for snowbird revenue. You won't hear them complaining. Take Phoenix out of the Smythe and put Quebec in the Patrick, and bang, you're set with two 15-team (unofficial) conferences. This proposal makes far too much sense for the NHL, which is why I fully expect "Detroit Red Wings - 2012-13 Southeast Division Champions" to be an actuality next season.

Well even a broke clock is right twice a day!

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I really hope they are called the Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick Divisions (or conferences).

With the way that they're set up, they may as well.

Meh, I'd like to see a mix of names if they are going to do that. I'm uncomfortable with honoring Conn Smythe as much as the league does now, for just one example.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How 'bout we finally recognize the big 4? I don't recall any trophies, etc. named after them..

Gretzky: Ana, LA, SJ, Van, Cal, Edm, Col, Pho

Howe: Dal, Min, Win, Stl, Chi, Det, Nsh, Clb

Orr: Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf, TB, Fla

Lemieux: NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pitt, Was, Car

I'd prefer a West, Central, Atlantic, and Northeast setup though.

I really hope they are called the Smythe, Norris, Adams, and Patrick Divisions (or conferences).

With the way that they're set up, they may as well.

Meh, I'd like to see a mix of names if they are going to do that. I'm uncomfortable with honoring Conn Smythe as much as the league does now, for just one example.

Not only Smythe but James Norris and Jack Adams don't need to be honored any more than they are now. All three acted like :censored:s back in the day by the way they treated the players. Especially when they were trying to unionize in the 1950s. Norris, in particular, doesn't deserve to be honored by the league just on the way they treated Ted Lindsay when he tried to form the NHLPA.

Funny how reporters are all up in arms about Wilson changing the starting goaltender last minute from Gustavsson to Reimer against the Bruins. Don't they have anything better to do than cry?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Someone suggested there would be no Eastern conference / Western conference deal in the playoffs.

Once the first 2 rounds are complete (like the old divisional format in the 80s), the final four teams would be seeded 1-4 based on regular season points.

This would set up any possible Finals combination (like Bruins-Canadiens, Red Wings-Leafs etc.) that can't happen now.

sig-1.png

Funny how reporters are all up in arms about Wilson changing the starting goaltender last minute from Gustavsson to Reimer against the Bruins. Don't they have anything better to do than cry?

Welcome to the Ontario GTA Ontario media's coverage of the Leafs. Had they won against Boston it would be nothing but "WE'RE GOING ALL THE WAY TO THE CUP!"

Someone suggested there would be no Eastern conference / Western conference deal in the playoffs.

Once the first 2 rounds are complete (like the old divisional format in the 80s), the final four teams would be seeded 1-4 based on regular season points.

This would set up any possible Finals combination (like Bruins-Canadiens, Red Wings-Leafs etc.) that can't happen now.

The final four would represent one team from each conference, Bruins-Canadiens in the Finals still wouldn't be possible. Red Wings - Leafs could happen as things stand right now.

This isn't my favorite plan, but it's probably the best we are going to get so I'll take it.

How 'bout we finally recognize the big 4? I don't recall any trophies, etc. named after them..

Gretzky: Ana, LA, SJ, Van, Cal, Edm, Col, Pho

Howe: Dal, Min, Win, Stl, Chi, Det, Nsh, Clb

Orr: Bos, Mtl, Ott, Tor, Buf, TB, Fla

Lemieux: NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pitt, Was, Car

I'd prefer a West, Central, Atlantic, and Northeast setup though.

Like hell the Habs will play in a division call Orr. :therock:

1zqy8ok.gif

Edit: Pays to hit the refresh button. Zap covered this above.

Bruins-Canadiens would be in the same "conference" so they would be unable to play for the Cup. Only one team from each conference would make the final 4.

The blackhawks always seem to find a way to suck tremendously against Phoenix, of all teams.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

They should have an Original 6 division. OK, maybe not. But it would be cool.

I'm getting kind of tired of the Leafs playing the Habs so much every year. It's the sport's oldest rivalry, but it's been so watered down since the Leafs moved to the Eastern Conference. I'd like to see the Leafs join a neo-Norris/Great Lakes division.

The Wings/Leafs Rivalry is dying to be rekindled...

Archived