Pinstripes

RuffDawg

Something I got to thinking about recently...

While I've never been a fan of pinstriping on baseball uniforms (or any sports uniform, for that matter), I wonder if there's a specific number of stripes used by any particular team and if so, what the reason is for it. Back when I worked in the auto business, we were taught about how many bars were on a particular manufacturer's grille and that it was their trademark -- do any teams have a similar thought process, is it set by the uniform manufacturer, or what?

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

While I've never been a fan of pinstriping on baseball uniforms (or any sports uniform, for that matter), I wonder if there's a specific number of stripes used by any particular team and if so, what the reason is for it. Back when I worked in the auto business, we were taught about how many bars were on a particular manufacturer's grille and that it was their trademark -- do any teams have a similar thought process, is it set by the uniform manufacturer, or what?

I'm pretty sure the only thing uniform is the style of line (thickness, color, pattern, spacing)...if there were a set number of stripes you'd have massive distortions...imagine having to fit the same amount of stripes on a size 44 vs. a size 54.

I'm pretty sure the only thing uniform is the style of line (thickness, color, pattern, spacing)...if there were a set number of stripes you'd have massive distortions...imagine having to fit the same amount of stripes on a size 44 vs. a size 54.

Yeah, the width of the stripes and gaps are constant, it's the size of the uniform is not. They said CC Sabathia wears the most pinstripes of anyone ever to play for the Yankees.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I would hardly consider the stripes on the Hornets jerseys to be "pinstripes". They were really just vertical stripes in a set pattern. A pinstripe is, as the name implies, thin like the head of a pin. I think of the classic men's suit as an example of this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The only one I can think of is the Charlotte Hornets' original unis. They had a set number and color of pinstripes, although that's probably more true for all NBA teams compared to MLB since the range differences are in height, not width.

I'd suspect the original Magic uniforms (and the Pacers pinstriped ones too) would have been more like baseball. Charlotte's stripes, as mentioned were not really pinstripes and were more of a design pattern. Orlando's were probably about equal spacing. I would suspect there was enough size variation that not every player had the same number of stripes, unlike at Charlotte, where they did.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

That's probably a really good way to distinguish - pinstripes are set at a certain width and distance apart, so jerseys of different sizes will have different numbers of pinstripes on them. Charlotte's stripes were just that, with a set amount appearing on the front of a jersey.

The Hornet's pinstripes were some of my favorite things about the Charlotte identity. On top of the childhood memories and all that jazz, :lol:

Here's a shot from the style guide:

425721_10150582954716429_554051428_9316181_755168280_n.jpg

...Also, one thing I never remembered as a kid, was realizing that the shorts didn't have any pinstripes. Only the jerseys. It's mind blowing, haha!

The Hornet's pinstripes were some of my favorite things about the Charlotte identity. On top of the childhood memories and all that jazz, :lol:

Here's a shot from the style guide:

425721_10150582954716429_554051428_9316181_755168280_n.jpg

...Also, one thing I never remembered as a kid, was realizing that the shorts didn't have any pinstripes. Only the jerseys. It's mind blowing, haha!

Sorta off-topic...but I still maintain that the Charlotte Hornets uniform (shoot, their whole identity) was one of the best in the NBA, if not all of major pro sports.

Alexander Julian...you visionary, you.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

FWIW...I've never come across one single example of pin stripes successfully being incorporated on a basketball uniform. I just haven't...which leads to my belief that there should be a law enacted that says that they should only appear on baseball jerseys and men's suits.

Actually, pinstripes on baseball uniforms aren't uniform totally. If you look at some this example of the Japanese national team uniform, you'll see wider double stripes sort of like the Charlotte Hornets. Also don't forget about the Pirates black yellow black pinstripes from the late 70's.

Picture10.png

The best pinstripe jersey I've ever seen in the NBA...

2mfvbvr35etmph7g34eveeh5o.gif

God, I love those.

Michael%20Jordan%20Wallpaper%20(1).jpg

Agreed. This is the 1st alternate uniform I ever liked.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Alexander Julian...you visionary, you.

I have to question the sanity of any designer who's "vision" included pleated shorts.

Pleats have no business on shorts period, let alone athletic shorts.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived