Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

Now that they mention it, I can definitely sense the nostalgia.

People these days might not be familiar with these types of subway rollsigns, but for about 3/4 of the 20th century the rollsigns all use this style (before they switched everything to Helvetica). Very quintessential New York.

While the feel is there, the authenticity is not. There's a big difference between creating an actual reproduction of a rollsign font (how it should have been done) and typing out the lettering in Akzidenz Grotesk Condensed and adding a round stroke (how it was actually done).

The concept and planning behind this identity is good, even great, but there's too big a gap between 'how it should have been done' and 'how it was actually done,' meaning that the artwork and execution of the ideas is of very poor quality. As a craftsman, you know when you build a nice table you should sand it smooth and finish the legs with nice dovetail joints, but this stuff still has nicks and gouges in it and legs that were attached with concrete nails and a sledge.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coming from someone who grew up in the Bronx, and went to Brooklyn many times, I think what I like about this logo is that it just looks Brooklyn. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's the only way I can put it.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I really don't like it, too bland, and if I may say so here, too ghetto for my taste.

There's that word again. It's WAY overused.

Thank you. Im not sure how this is ghetto. I know its his opinion and im all for him having one but that seems a bit ignorant to me.

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

Now that they mention it, I can definitely sense the nostalgia.

People these days might not be familiar with these types of subway rollsigns, but for about 3/4 of the 20th century the rollsigns all use this style (before they switched everything to Helvetica). Very quintessential New York.

While the feel is there, the authenticity is not. There's a big difference between creating an actual reproduction of a rollsign font (how it should have been done) and typing out the lettering in Akzidenz Grotesk Condensed and adding a round stroke (how it was actually done).

The concept and planning behind this identity is good, even great, but there's a big gap between 'how it should have been done' and 'how it was actually done,' meaning that the artwork and execution of the ideas is of very poor quality. As a craftsman, you know when you build a nice table you should sand it smooth and finish the legs with nice dovetail joints, but this stuff still has nicks and gouges in it and legs that were attached with concrete nails and a sledge.

100% agree. There's also a big gap between nostalgic and boring. Black and white doesn't have to be boring. I actually like the colors (even though I'd rather have seen black and tan), but its so rigid. I cant put my finger on it, but there isn't much life to it. I like the secondary alright, but it might as well be a badge for Brooklyn itself. i get the feeling if Jay-z wasn't attached, the reviews would be much worse. If there is a silver lining, maybe this will start a trend of simpler design in the mainstream because of Jay-z's influence.

...and if they really are going 100% Brooklyn, how long before the white gets more predominant and pushes the black out all together?

Well, at that point, the logo gets changed to a fixed-gear bicycle, the uniforms switch to durene with leather belts and stirrups, and the Park Slope Co-Op gets the concessions contract for Barclays Center, but doesn't serve food for the first 10 games, because someone is inevitably offended at one of the menu offerings.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

With these colors and that logo, they should have went with "Brooklyn 8 Balls"

Ordinarily, I would agree with the statement "black and white can be a great combination too" but not when a team has already been red blue and grey. Now it just looks like their logo was scanned on a B/W copy machine.

I also preferred the original leaked logos that had the brooklyn bridge in them. This logo is boring and bland and would only work if the team switched to Knights.

Similar to how in baseball a team's cap logo is far more important than its actual logo, in basketball a team's jersey is far more important than its logo. So I'm reserving judgment until we see the actual jerseys, but I feel like they will look great with "Brooklyn" in that font rather than "Nets."

The black-and-white choice bothers me. Brooklyn is a vibrant place, it's the West Indian Day parade, it's Coney Island, it's the brownstones of Park Slope, it's the rolling commercial storefront mania of Flatbush Ave. and Fulton St., it's the view of the Verrazano from Bay Ridge, it's the colorful fashions of Williamsburg and Greenpoint, it's the beautifully verdant Brooklyn College campus. In short, it's an exciting place, and these colors aren't exciting.

Was looking at alot of the gear posted up on the nets daily site and it really makes this rebrand stand out amongst the other teams. Say what you want about the logo but i think they hit a home run when it comes down to the gear. Im rather fond of the "brownstone ballers" shirt. Im a clippers fan but id rock some of this purely for style.

...and if they really are going 100% Brooklyn, how long before the white gets more predominant and pushes the black out all together?

Well, at that point, the logo gets changed to a fixed-gear bicycle, the uniforms switch to durene with leather belts and stirrups, and the Park Slope Co-Op gets the concessions contract for Barclays Center, but doesn't serve food for the first 10 games, because someone is inevitably offended at one of the menu offerings.

I don't know if those approach co-PoTD levels, but damn, that was funny.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I like simple logos, but this is caveman simple! Can it be? Could this be the WORST NBA logo since the OKC Thunder logo got shredded on this board a few years back? Instead of it looking professional and flashy, it's "gangsta". Which perfectly reflects the NBA... thug ball.

Subtle racism at it's finest.

The first thing I thought with this logo

fashion-logos.jpg

or sportswear logos.

They want to be a standard brand with this logo, a premium brand, like louis vuitton or hermes. It's the only nba logo that can be on a golfer shirt.

louis_vuitton_logo.jpg

Sure louis vuitton would not work very well like this:

Logo-Lakers-Vuitton-Los-Angeles.jpg

It's a bourgeois bohemian logo.

The first thing I thought with this logo

fashion-logos.jpg

or sportswear logos.

They want to be a standard brand with this logo, a premium brand, like louis vuitton or hermes. It's the only nba logo that can be on a golfer shirt.

louis_vuitton_logo.jpg

Sure louis vuitton would not work very well like this:

Logo-Lakers-Vuitton-Los-Angeles.jpg

It's a bourgeois bohemian logo.

Thats a perfect way to describe this brand. It does work in both avenues. Side note: based on that laker logo i smell a nba concept series brewing

Keep in mind that the subways didn't use a uniform font type, for example the station signage have a similar black-and-white look but inconsistent fonts. The Nets have said that they base the look on all forms of old subway signage, not just rollsigns.

AIGA_Shaw_Helvetica_1_2.jpg

AIGA_Shaw_Helvetica_1_3.jpg

The general trend is there, and I think the Nets have succeeded in going for that feel, which I believe is the goal of all this. Its obviously not an attempt to be authentic.

I do agree that the execution of the logos was amateurish at best. But the logos are only one aspect to this. The goal was to build a new identity, give a new personality to the team and sell merchandise, I think they succeeded on that end.

Archived