Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

I saw this, and I've read through a good deal of the thread, and I feel that this branding is genius.

Genius?? It's a basketball on a sheild with generic text...

He said the BRANDING was genius, not the logo. There's a difference.

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Lightning called, they were mad another team took their idea of bland 2 color scheme and clip art.

Spurs-Nets will be akin to Leafs-Bolts. Both looking like a practice game.

Oh well. I don't give a damn about the NBA, but was curious to see what my former hometown was going to do with a team.

Would love to see the bridge incorporated. Wouldn't buy any of this :censored:, but would like the idea.

2ly2w09.jpg

I saw this, and I've read through a good deal of the thread, and I feel that this branding is genius.

Genius?? It's a basketball on a sheild with generic text...

:blink: Did you just read the first line and then go write this post, not bothering to read the rest?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Boring or not, at least we know the stuff sells.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/branding/jay-z-s-new-logo-ignites-brooklyn-nets-merch-1006945152.story

Apparently Nets in the last week sold more than double the merchandise they sold for the entire 2010-11 season.

I guarantee that a majority of that is made up of people who aren't even fans of the team and just want it because it looks "cool," which probably comes from the association with Jay-Z.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/branding/jay-z-s-new-logo-ignites-brooklyn-nets-merch-1006945152.story

Apparently Nets in the last week sold more than double the merchandise they sold for the entire 2010-11 season.

I guarantee that a majority of that is made up of people who aren't even fans of the team and just want it because it looks "cool," which probably comes from the association with Jay-Z.

Okay, say 51% is as you say. Take away half the sales. Still, in a week they've made last year's numbers. If you'll forgive my mixed metaphor, the new logo is a home run.

It doesn't matter who buys the merchandise, as long as someone buys it. A 97 year old man's $20 is the same as a 17 year old girl's $20.

jNTsTyQ.png

since everyone else is doing this (check dribbble.com) i thought id have a stab at it too. the biggest disappointment for me might be that they missed on a great shield shape. all along they had the perfect inspiration right in front of them. heres a work in progress to show m point

netsb.jpg

i suppose you could say the current shield uses less of the negative space in the bridge as its shape than above, but i dont make that connection as strongly. the straight sides should provide a better home for the type as well.

Great minds think alike, I suppose...as I was working on my own version utilizing that same idea. (Naturally, I ain't say nothing about it though. :P) I get the feeling yours will probably turn out better, though. (And that's provided I even finish mine at all.)

LOL. Me too! Weird how actual creativity and inspiration happens once skilled graphic designers think on an issue. ;)

Like others have said, I don't think that their package necessarily suffers from a lack of "inspiration" or "creativity", they just didn't "do" it right. There's clearly inspiration - it just wasn't executed as many of us would have liked.

That being said, one of the main reasons why I fail to see the connection between the subway signs and their typography is because of how all of their words are arched, while the subway signs are straight. I think that the shield in the concept I quoted solves this problem, while looking "stronger" too (I think it's the right angles that give it this quality, not certain.)

Put some netting (even if subtle) under the wordmark, and a B-Ball and it's an improvement IMO.

Exactly. Plus, I think taking the played-out pointed arch shape from the bridge is about as bottom-of-the-barrel as you can get as far as inspiration goes. There is so much more to Brooklyn than a couple stacks of bricks holding up a road. People outside Brooklyn recognize the bridge, but this is for the people inside Brooklyn.

That said, I really love the look of your shield, Brandon. Has that polished quality and modern rigidity that the actual logo is lacking. Feels sturdier. The only thing you need to do is to pull the inside corners of your N (left one up/right one down) to thin out the angled section of it. It's too heavy right now. The style of letter you chose minimizes the visual clumsiness of the word itself, making the negative space around the T look about as good as it can look. Can't wait to see how you finish it.

glad to see a lot of people thinking the same as i on this. sometimes the obvious answers are hard to see i suppose

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Okay, say 51% is as you say. Take away half the sales. Still, in a week they've made last year's numbers. If you'll forgive my mixed metaphor, the new logo is a home run.

Not to say it isn't, but doesn't every new launch sell well because people like to buy the new stuff?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Not to say it isn't, but doesn't every new launch sell well because people like to buy the new stuff?

Well, I'd wager that the Cleveland Cavaliers' new unis in 2010 didn't sell as well as their previous set - but there were extenuating circumstances in that instance, of course. ;)

Well, I'd wager that the Cleveland Cavaliers' new unis in 2010 didn't sell as well as their previous set - but there were extenuating circumstances in that instance, of course. ;)

:D There is that.

It's just that we hear that every time something new comes out. "Well, you must be wrong to not like everything about it, because people are buying it!" People bought a lot of the Buffaslug stuff at first, didn't they? That doesn't make it any less of an eyesore. People like to buy new stuff.

POTD 2013-08-22

It's just that we hear that every time something new comes out. "Well, you must be wrong to not like everything about it, because people are buying it!" People bought a lot of the Buffaslug stuff at first, didn't they? That doesn't make it any less of an eyesore. People like to buy new stuff.

They did? Or do you just mean in the Buffalo area?

I would say it's much more people buying Brooklyn stuff because it's Brooklyn/Jay-Z. It has nothing to do with the quality of the logo. I guarantee you if Magic rebranded the Dodgers with clip art and was wearing the stuff all around, people would gobble that LA stuff up too.

They did? Or do you just mean in the Buffalo area?

If we're comparing previous numbers to new release numbers, does it matter? Are you suggesting that the primary logo design itself--and not the Jay Z or Brooklyn hipster aspects--is what is driving sales everywhere?

POTD 2013-08-22

I would say it's much more people buying Brooklyn stuff because it's Brooklyn/Jay-Z. It has nothing to do with the quality of the logo. I guarantee you if Magic rebranded the Dodgers with clip art and was wearing the stuff all around, people would gobble that LA stuff up too.

As a former Angelino, I can tell you "No."

There's a reason the Fox-mandated alternate jersey and cap were quickly abandoned; Dodger fans like the current set.

Most new logos sell better than their predecessor at first. But this much better? I doubt it's all that common.

As a former Angelino, I can tell you "No."

There's a reason the Fox-mandated alternate jersey and cap were quickly abandoned; Dodger fans like the current set.

Most new logos sell better than their predecessor at first. But this much better? I doubt it's all that common.

Keep in mind that the Nets were a horrible team with no interesting players which just so happened to be a lame duck. The sales were horrible for the old stuff because of that.

The new stuff is selling well because 1) people will buy anything new; 2) people in Brooklyn are buying stuff up because they finally have a pro team; 3) lots of people are buying it just because Brooklyn is hip; and 4) some people will buy it just because Jay-Z owns approximately 2% of the team. I don't think the sales have anything to do with the logo quality. The logo could be a turd above BROOKLYN in Comic Sans and it would sell.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The new stuff is selling well because 1) people will buy anything new; 2) people in Brooklyn are buying stuff up because they finally have a pro team; 3) lots of people are buying it just because Brooklyn is hip; and 4) some people will buy it just because Jay-Z owns approximately 2% of the team. I don't think the sales have anything to do with the logo quality. The logo could be a turd above BROOKLYN in Comic Sans and it would sell.

Actually, people just like the merchandise. Seriously, you wouldn't know unless you went to Brooklyn and see people's reactions to them. It has nothing to do with the logo, and more to do with the colors and the branding. If the Nets just took their old NJ identity and put Brooklyn in it, I highly doubt the reception would be anywhere near what its been.

Archived