Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

Brooklyn needed something rebranded and unique for them. I mean it's a shame Jersey lost a team they had for 35 years but whats done is done. It's been more then 50 years since The people of Brooklyn have had a sports team to represent and the sportswear to without it being a throwback !!!

So congrats to Brooklyn & the Nets.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there's been alot of these, but here's another colored version...

BrooklynNets.png

i actually really like the black and white, but that is pretty sweet

just too many red/white/blues in the NBA. maybe thats why they decided to move past it and cater to old school Brooklyn

...and if they really are going 100% Brooklyn, how long before the white gets more predominant and pushes the black out all together?

Well, at that point, the logo gets changed to a fixed-gear bicycle, the uniforms switch to durene with leather belts and stirrups, and the Park Slope Co-Op gets the concessions contract for Barclays Center, but doesn't serve food for the first 10 games, because someone is inevitably offended at one of the menu offerings.

Coconut milk will be swapped in for Gatorade, the concessions guy in the stands will throw bag of edamame instead of peanuts, and the uniforms will only be washed once per homestand (with phosphate free detergent of course) to conserve water.

I'd tend to agree.

People here in Brooklyn seem to be exited about the team, excited about the logo and excited about the branding.

I'm surprised no league has done this before. If only it were baseball, you could see the pile of merchandise from the moon...

Done what?! I am obviously failing to see whatever genius others are seeing in this rebranding. I see black and white, a little boring and simplistic, but still somewhat unique in bastketball, and clipart logos. What am I missing here? That they went so over-the-top boring and so half-assed that it's actually avant garde?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'd tend to agree.

People here in Brooklyn seem to be exited about the team, excited about the logo and excited about the branding.

I'm surprised no league has done this before. If only it were baseball, you could see the pile of merchandise from the moon...

Done what?! I am obviously failing to see whatever genius others are seeing in this rebranding. I see black and white, a little boring and simplistic, but still somewhat unique in bastketball, and clipart logos. What am I missing here? That they went so over-the-top boring and so half-assed that it's actually avant garde?

I was referring to creating a Brooklyn-branded club. Sheer genius, regardless of what you think of their execution, and I'm surprised that no league has done it before.

Boring or not, at least we know the stuff sells.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/branding/jay-z-s-new-logo-ignites-brooklyn-nets-merch-1006945152.story

Apparently Nets in the last week sold more than double the merchandise they sold for the entire 2010-11 season.

I guarantee that a majority of that is made up of people who aren't even fans of the team and just want it because it looks "cool," which probably comes from the association with Jay-Z.

Okay, say 51% is as you say. Take away half the sales. Still, in a week they've made last year's numbers. If you'll forgive my mixed metaphor, the new logo is a home run.

I would say it's much more people buying Brooklyn stuff because it's Brooklyn/Jay-Z. It has nothing to do with the quality of the logo. I guarantee you if Magic rebranded the Dodgers with clip art and was wearing the stuff all around, people would gobble that LA stuff up too.

As a former Angelino, I can tell you "No."

There's a reason the Fox-mandated alternate jersey and cap were quickly abandoned; Dodger fans like the current set.

Most new logos sell better than their predecessor at first. But this much better? I doubt it's all that common.

True Dodger fans in LA may not embrace, but the majority of the sales would be from outsiders who want a new LA branded item to wear. That is what's going on here. Sure there are numbers in Brooklyn but I would bet a majority of sales are coming from outside Brooklyn. And again, sales have nothing to do with the quality of the logo. At least I would hope, for the sake of design, it's not the case.

I'm not making any claims about the quality of the logos driving sales. Just pointing out that your "any old Dodger crap will sell in LA" assertion has been disproven by actual events.

Sure, re-branding to "Brooklyn" ensured that sales would start out very, very strong. We all knew that (although I personally didn't know how poorly Nets stuff was selling, and therefore how much better the Brooklyn sales would look by comparison).

I'd tend to agree.

I was referring to creating a Brooklyn-branded club. Sheer genius, regardless of what you think of their execution, and I'm surprised that no league has done it before.

Gotcha. I thought you were talking about the actual design. Anyway, isn't Brooklyn's huge popularity a relatively recent thing? I know everyone is saying hipsters have flocked to Brooklyn of late. I mean, if Brooklyn was a goldmine years ago, I'd have to think the Mets, Jets or Islanders would have moved there at some point to cash out. Then again, I guess branding wasn't what it is today and people used to think Florida was a sports goldmine. Weird times.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'd tend to agree.

Gotcha. I thought you were talking about the actual design. Anyway, isn't Brooklyn's huge popularity a relatively recent thing? I know everyone is saying hipsters have flocked to Brooklyn of late. I mean, if Brooklyn was a goldmine years ago, I'd have to think the Mets, Jets or Islanders would have moved there at some point to cash out. Then again, I guess branding wasn't what it is today and people used to think Florida was a sports goldmine. Weird times.

Not to mention that during "those times" people looked at New York the way they look at Detroit now and Long Island & New Jersey were actually seen as more desirable locations.

I'd tend to agree.

Brooklyn Jets has a nice ring to it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I always thought Manhattan Jets would've had s nice ring to it...dam* railyard project. :cursing:

But I guess that's really neither here nor there right now.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm not making any claims about the quality of the logos driving sales. Just pointing out that your "any old Dodger crap will sell in LA" assertion has been disproven by actual events.

Sure, re-branding to "Brooklyn" ensured that sales would start out very, very strong. We all knew that (although I personally didn't know how poorly Nets stuff was selling, and therefore how much better the Brooklyn sales would look by comparison).

Got it and I understand your LA comments completely... and agree pretty much. I was just referring initially to your post stating "Okay, say 51% is as you say. Take away half the sales. Still, in a week they've made last year's numbers. If you'll forgive my mixed metaphor, the new logo is a home run." I'd say the merchandise sales, not the logo, are a "home run".

As a former Angelino, I can tell you "No."

There's a reason the Fox-mandated alternate jersey and cap were quickly abandoned; Dodger fans like the current set.

Most new logos sell better than their predecessor at first. But this much better? I doubt it's all that common.

Keep in mind that the Nets were a horrible team with no interesting players which just so happened to be a lame duck. The sales were horrible for the old stuff because of that.

The new stuff is selling well because 1) people will buy anything new; 2) people in Brooklyn are buying stuff up because they finally have a pro team; 3) lots of people are buying it just because Brooklyn is hip; and 4) some people will buy it just because Jay-Z owns approximately 2% of the team. I don't think the sales have anything to do with the logo quality. The logo could be a turd above BROOKLYN in Comic Sans and it would sell.

Add to that: 5) existing Net fans who want to have something with their team's current logo (even if they are not madly in love with the "Brooklyn" name).

This, as you might guess, describes me; it also describes many posters on the Net fan site Nets Daily, on which several New Jersey-based Net fans have been reporting their purchases of the new stuff. (There's also a guy on there named "Mike", a New Yorker who articulates the same uneasiness that I have mentioned about the team's being named after one borough and not the whole City.)

I would imagine that just as many New Jersey-based Net fans will have dropped the team as will continue to support it. I just wanted to mention that the purchases of (what remains of) the existing fanbase must be considered as part of the reason for the enormous sales numbers.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Got it and I understand your LA comments completely... and agree pretty much. I was just referring initially to your post stating "Okay, say 51% is as you say. Take away half the sales. Still, in a week they've made last year's numbers. If you'll forgive my mixed metaphor, the new logo is a home run." I'd say the merchandise sales, not the logo, are a "home run".

Well, from their perspective the logo is a home run.

And yes, there was a time when Long Island looked infinitely more desirable then Brooklyn. But that was a long time ago indeed. Brooklyn's been tragically fashionable for two decades.

ive received some good advice from Andrew and others on this, so theres more work to be done but its doing well on dribbble now. what do you guys think? any preferences?

nets.jpg?1336027148

The BKLYN shields remind me of a line of merch Nike produced a few years back that celebrated various legendary streetball courts, e.g., the Rucker, West 4th, etc.

ive received some good advice from Andrew and others on this, so theres more work to be done but its doing well on dribbble now. what do you guys think? any preferences?

nets.jpg?1336027148

Not a big fan of the abbreviation on a "primary" logo.

This would also likely make a great topic in the Concepts section.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

nets.jpg?1336027148

This would also likely make a great topic in the Concepts section.

thats a good idea. ill have one up when its finished

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Archived