Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

Another write-up, but with an alternate take on the logos by Jon Contino

http://www.thefoxisblack.com/2012/05/01/the-brooklyn-nets-dropped-the-ball-on-their-new-logo/

brooklyn-nets-logo-jon-contino.jpg

The name in the ball looks way too close to these Knicks logos, which is a big nono:

6034.gifucb47iiggt6671oa3h82od97t.gif

And while they are more aesthetically pleasing than the official logos, I agree with keynote in that they are too retro for a modern NBA team. The trick I think is to invoke a retro feel while still coming off as something that would be made in 2012. Otherwise it would be pretension.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While the feel is there, the authenticity is not. There's a big difference between creating an actual reproduction of a rollsign font (how it should have been done) and typing out the lettering in Akzidenz Grotesk Condensed and adding a round stroke (how it was actually done).

The concept and planning behind this identity is good, even great, but there's too big a gap between 'how it should have been done' and 'how it was actually done,' meaning that the artwork and execution of the ideas is of very poor quality. As a craftsman, you know when you build a nice table you should sand it smooth and finish the legs with nice dovetail joints, but this stuff still has nicks and gouges in it and legs that were attached with concrete nails and a sledge.

Exactly what I came here to post. The inspiration and concept are spot-on but the execution is very poor. The lack of attention to detail is what makes this identity fall short.

Classic Logo, only in Brooklyn.

I just wish they would have had someway put a "net" in the logo.

Wow I love that version !!!

Saw this on another forum, thought this would've been in here before..if so pardon me..

2zyvdl4.jpg

Thanks for liking my version! The typeface (Brooklyn) on top has to be different but adding a net since the team is called the nets would put it over the top! gives it some depth.

Feels like it's a clippy clip art set.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I feel I like it more every time I look at it.

I could see them doing the home and road with the regular scripts, but then adding an alt that has the cursive script.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I feel I like it more every time I look at it.

I could see them doing the home and road with the regular scripts, but then adding an alt that has the cursive script.

There will never be a cursive script as part of this identity. In fact, adidas has already quit selling anything with a script Brooklyn on it, and we're only one day beyond the official unveiling. I don't know if they're actually pulling things off shelves, but they presumably won't be making any more, so get your script merchandise while you can.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Just too plain. Black and white is not an identity or a color scheme, it's an absence of color and imagination IMO. That said it'll sell well. Black always does despite the lack of creativity and color.

Just too plain. Black and white is not an identity or a color scheme, it's an absence of color and imagination IMO. That said it'll sell well. Black always does despite the lack of creativity and color.

For all you guys complaining about the perceived lack of creativity with a black and white identity: How is an identity with different colors more creative? This is a serious question. It's not like designers are inventing colors.

Isn't an identity that uses a different color scheme than all the other teams inherently creative?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

For all you guys complaining about the perceived lack of creativity with a black and white identity: How is an identity with different colors more creative? This is a serious question. It's not like designers are inventing colors.

Isn't an identity that uses a different color scheme than all the other teams inherently creative?

just wanted to let you know i totally agree with you

I don't have a problem with the black and white. I have a problem with the complete lack of creativity of taking an old logo, using a "generic" san-serif font, slapping Brooklyn on it and making it black and white as lack of creativity and lazy. If you want to talk an identity and creating a new one, then do it, but don't throw out a completely half-assed logo and expect the world to bow down at your feet and call you a "god". If that logo was put up in the concepts forum here, it would be blasted as a half-assed recolor. Are we just ignoring the fact that this is a step above Patsox's creations. Oh, I'm sorry, it was created by Jay-Z so we must bow down and say it's, "great". I'm sorry Jay, but keep your night job, because your day job as a designer, you completely suck!

why must so many teams use a basketball in their logo. Honestly, it's been done to death.

That's a league directive, IIRC.

It's probably encouraged, not directed.

The Spurs and Blazers don't use basketballs at all, and the Bobcats, Bulls, Nuggets, Warriors, Rockets, Grizzlies, Bucks, and Timberwolves don't use a basketball in their primary logos

I don't get why. Does the NBA fear teams are so little known that the public might not know they are a basketball team? Look at how many teams in the other leagues use their sport's ball in the logo. Even the MLS, as little known as their teams are, don't do this as much as the NBA.

NFL

1 out of 32

MLB

1 out of 30

MLS

6 out of 19

NBA

19 out of 30

By my count the NBA only has two teams that DON'T use a basketball somewhere in their suite of marks or court graphics. The Rockets and Spurs. Once you add in secondaries and center court.....it's almost a default.

You forgot the Blazers. I don't think the use the ball-with-flames logo anywhere anymore.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm a little late to the part here, but I really hated this identity when I first saw it, but it's growing on me the more that I look at it. It helped me appreciate it more when I heard that they were going for a classic/iconic look, plus the new merchandise is really awesome, specifically the Brooklyn bridge t-shirt. The primary is definetly the weakest, the "NETS" font really drags it down, but the secondary roundel is awesome. Overall, I think that this is an upgrade. I can't wait to see the uniforms.

spacer.png

also co-signed. however, i do think that adding a 3rd color would give the Nets a unique color combo that shows creativity.

I don't have a problem with the black and white. I have a problem with the complete lack of creativity of taking an old logo, using a "generic" san-serif font, slapping Brooklyn on it and making it black and white as lack of creativity and lazy. If you want to talk an identity and creating a new one, then do it, but don't throw out a completely half-assed logo and expect the world to bow down at your feet and call you a "god". If that logo was put up in the concepts forum here, it would be blasted as a half-assed recolor. Are we just ignoring the fact that this is a step above Patsox's creations. Oh, I'm sorry, it was created by Jay-Z so we must bow down and say it's, "great". I'm sorry Jay, but keep your night job, because your day job as a designer, you completely suck!

The comment I replied to was speaking specifically about the color scheme, and I was genuinely wondering why some people thought that part specifically was lacking creativity..

also co-signed. however, i do think that adding a 3rd color would give the Nets a unique color combo that shows creativity.

Black and white does allow for liberal use of accent color if they ever wanted to go that route:

subway-brooklyn-atlantic-avenue-station.jpg

Here's a nice example of the type of signs that were clearly used for inspiration:

185388.jpg?1333287008

Also, I don't care for the "BROOKLYN NEW YORK" circle logo, because it's more of a tourist shirt than a fan shirt. I get they're trying to market the Brooklyn part of their identity, but that's a little too blatant. BROOKLYN NETS would be fine. Maybe work an N and a Y into the circle or even into the B.

This. I'm fine with them marketing the hell out of Brooklyn. In fact, I expect them to. But where this falls short to me is the fact that they still make "NETS" the focus and relegate "Brooklyn" to just an initial. If I see a "B" I don't know what it stands for. Brooklyn doesn't have that locked down. New York does. If I see a "NY" on something I immediately think "New York. What I dislike about the logo is that it's generic. It doesn't evoke "Nets" (aside having "NETS" spelled out on the thing) or "Brooklyn." It just seems like a big miss to me.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Something interesting I saw when I went on the Nets Are Scorching Website. If you do not know, this site is the Nets True Hoop Network Affiliated site. Anyway, they interviewed some people about the new logo and one of the guys was Uni Watches own Paul Lukas. In case you've been under a rock, I have been complaining so much about this bland and hideous logo. However, when Paul Lukas was asked about the uniforms which will come out in September, he said "Here’s the thing: The uniforms haven’t been unveiled yet, but I’ve seen them (sorry, not allowed to describe them), and I think they’re better than the logos. So I’d say the best is yet to come for this marketing campaign." Now I wonder what the uniforms look like and if Paul is taking his word about these! I bet they are going to have a script font of some sort, a very traditional Brooklyn move.

EDIT: Here is the link! The question is number 5.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Something interesting I saw when I went on the Nets Are Scorching Website. If you do not know, this site is the Nets True Hoop Network Affiliated site. Anyway, they interviewed some people about the new logo and one of the guys was Uni Watches own Paul Lukas. In case you've been under a rock, I have been complaining so much about this bland and hideous logo. However, when Paul Lukas was asked about the uniforms which will come out in September, he said "Here’s the thing: The uniforms haven’t been unveiled yet, but I’ve seen them (sorry, not allowed to describe them), and I think they’re better than the logos. So I’d say the best is yet to come for this marketing campaign." Now I wonder what the uniforms look like and if Paul is taking his word about these! I bet they are going to have a script font of some sort, a very traditional Brooklyn move.

EDIT: Here is the link! The question is number 5.

For the record, I also like the uniforms much better than the logos, and I'm crossing my fingers for the court.

Had the Nets decided to use some color instead, it would look nicer and they would of also been consistent with franchise history...

NetsLogos.png

Even when they played as the New York Nets, they have always been a red, white, and blue team. Now that's all thrown away. Sure, red white and blue is used by too many teams, but I don't think the Nets were the ones who had to change. Another personnal reason why I have issues with the new rebranding is that I was personally hoping for these to make a full-time comeback. I guess that's not going to happen either.

Archived