Did the New Jersey Nets tease their Brooklyn logo?

TaylorMade

Guess you love it or hate it.

And I'm in the second camp. Looks like Jay-Z made this in Microsoft Publisher with some clip art. Every time I see this blah rebrand it's like their logo is farting all over the internet.

why must so many teams use a basketball in their logo. Honestly, it's been done to death.

That's a league directive, IIRC.

Angry Bull says "no."

071220_Chicago_Bulls_logo.jpg

But then you have it on the court

110724111.aXkf7oRB.ChicagoBulls2.JPG

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For any other team, this logo would be horrible. But for the Nets, this is the best logo they could've come up with. I love it.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

Now that they mention it, I can definitely sense the nostalgia.

People these days might not be familiar with these types of subway rollsigns, but for about 3/4 of the 20th century the rollsigns all use this style (before they switched everything to Helvetica). Very quintessential New York.

I agree. Much better after seeing this. BUT modern basketball rendering ruins it. If they were going old style, make the rendering old style too. Would have made for a much better look.

brooklynoldstyle.jpg

Vertical line down the middle is needed. And the rotated ball gives it at least some creativity.

I'd argue that the rotated ball isn't creative at all since that version is seen in countless basketball logos in the NBA, NCAA, etc.

The point is if it's to look old style, then make it look old style. Be consistent. Otherwise you get a design that simply doesn't work.

Yeah, because the concept of a rotated basketball was only developed in the last couple years...

Oh, wait.

ehdguza6e3dn3h2ay4cbulnpn.gif

9-07%20Lot%20100.JPG

Now that they mention it, I can definitely sense the nostalgia.

People these days might not be familiar with these types of subway rollsigns, but for about 3/4 of the 20th century the rollsigns all use this style (before they switched everything to Helvetica). Very quintessential New York.

I agree. Much better after seeing this. BUT modern basketball rendering ruins it. If they were going old style, make the rendering old style too. Would have made for a much better look.

brooklynoldstyle.jpg

Vertical line down the middle is needed. And the rotated ball gives it at least some creativity.

I'd argue that the rotated ball isn't creative at all since that version is seen in countless basketball logos in the NBA, NCAA, etc.

The point is if it's to look old style, then make it look old style. Be consistent. Otherwise you get a design that simply doesn't work.

Yeah, because the concept of a rotated basketball was only developed in the last couple years...

Oh, wait.

ehdguza6e3dn3h2ay4cbulnpn.gif

Good find BUT that is a much different rendering style that what we've seen over the past 10-20 years. The lines now are tapered and given depth. Fine, but I just feel that a flatter approach would be much more consistent with the brand they were trying to create. Maybe I'm off on this but I just don't see the more modern rendering of the ball fitting here.

In a few years they will add a third color to uniforms or merchandise. Not that it's a bad thing, it just happens over time. Any guesses? Are there any other "local" colors that would be appropriate? I'm hoping against silver, just because it is done so much.

A royal blue touch would be nice.

It actually looked like some of those t-shirts they were selling had this very subtle dark-blue hint to it. But black-and-white definitely as different as you can get from the Knicks.

GR30a5H.png

I'm starting to really like this logo set. Especially the secondary. And I really like the color choice. It's hard to do something today and not be compared to another team that's already done it, Or try to do something out of the box and end up getting bashed like the marlins. Old and boring is timeless. I just hope the uniforms don't ruin what is already a decent identity.

Classic Logo, only in Brooklyn.

I just wish they would have had someway put a "net" in the logo.

Wow I love that version !!!

Saw this on another forum, thought this would've been in here before..if so pardon me..

2zyvdl4.jpg

#DTWD #GoJaguars

For any other team, this logo would be horrible. But for the Nets, this is the best logo they could've come up with. I love it.

So are you trying to say because they are the Nets they automatically have low standards? Or is it because the Brooklyn way is very traditional and simple?

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

So are you trying to say because they are the Nets they automatically have low standards? Or is it because the Brooklyn way is very traditional and simple?

That.

This might be my favorite NBA logo. Or at least a close second (I love the Heat logo).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I like simple logos, but this is caveman simple! Can it be? Could this be the WORST NBA logo since the OKC Thunder logo got shredded on this board a few years back? Instead of it looking professional and flashy, it's "gangsta". Which perfectly reflects the NBA... thug ball.

I like simple logos, but this is caveman simple! Can it be? Could this be the WORST NBA logo since the OKC Thunder logo got shredded on this board a few years back? Instead of it looking professional and flashy, it's "gangsta". Which perfectly reflects the NBA... thug ball.

lolwut.gif

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Nah, dude. It's not even close to calling it "the worst". It's not a bad logo, just boring. TOO simple.

... I'll ignore the rest of the b.s. you put down.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

omg you guys a black rapper helped design a logo in a predominantly black sport lol gangsta thug ghetto drive-by

Seriously, this is what you sound like, and it's awful. Try discussing the logos on their merits, or lack thereof.

Personally, I like the color scheme, but find the whole design to be more bland and generic than classic or timeless. I like the roundel-ball the most, but it's not setting the world on fire for me or anything.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

After seeing why they made the colors and logo what they did, I LOVE this rebrand. I mean I understand not liking the logo, but when you have the urge to say how awful the new logo is, just google up pictures of the previous NJ Nets logo and brand, and realize that it's all going to be ok.

Jay Z... (nod of approval, thumbs up)

90758391980.gif

Archived