Sean Payton suspended for 2012, Tebow a Jet

Brave-Bird 08

I don't think you can appeal league discipline without being under a collective bargaining agreement. I know baseball players can have their suspensions held in abeyance till they visit the Mets, have games worth missing (see also: they visit the Mets), or get injured, at which point they're appealed down to fewer games, but managers who are suspended are suspended right away for exactly what's been laid out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't read anything about this other than what's been typed here, but part of it could be that the league knows that there will be appeals and such, and the actual suspensions will be a little less, so they went intentionally overboard figuring Peyton will get half a season and Williams a full season. Just a thought, could be completely off base.

It might be different than in baseball, but the players have a outlet for appeal because they are in a union. Coaches who are suspended get no appeal and have to start serving it immediately. I would be surprised if there are any avenues for appeal for the coaches.

EDIT: Admiral beat me.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Do coaches have an appeal process? They don't have a union contract.

EDIT: Admiral and Roman both beat me.

Payton got hit for lying to the Commissioner about what he knew, and then not stopping the bounty system after being instructed to. It's always the cover-up that gets you.

I still think this was an appropriate response.

To appeal to the league I would imagine Payton would have to show the league had either failed to take something into account or have treated him unusually severely. As their is no precedent here, the second is going to be difficult, the first one seems unlikely given part of the deal is that he helped cover the whole thing up.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Warren Sapp "reports" that Jeremy Shockey was the guy who snitched on Bountygate.

Shockey's had trouble getting a deal this year, hasn't he? Could have sworn I saw something that said players from several teams didn't want him as a teammate.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

And it's official...Roger Goodell has officially killed football as we know it, enforcing his nanny state.

I wish the NFL owners would get together and do a vote of no confidence or something like that...either that or get straight to a vote where if 22 teams vote that way, Goodell is removed from office and never allowed to hold another league position again.

Either way, Goodell's got to go.

bYhYmxh.png

I wish the NFL owners would get together and do a vote of no confidence or something like that...either that or get straight to a vote where if 22 teams vote that way, Goodell is removed from office and never allowed to hold another league position again.

They're making more money than they've ever made, he peckerslapped the union, and he just took a huge step against jeopardizing the health of their human investments. Why in God's name would they have a vote of no confidence? They should be superbly confident.

I don't like Goodell either, for the record.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I thought there was a NFL Coaches Association. I don't know how much power they have, but I guess not much if they don't engage in collective bargaining.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Warren Sapp "reports" that Jeremy Shockey was the guy who snitched on Bountygate.

Shockey's had trouble getting a deal this year, hasn't he? Could have sworn I saw something that said players from several teams didn't want him as a teammate.

Shockey's always struck me as a total douche teammate from his days with the Giants.

And now Shockey and Sapp going back and forth over Twitter now. This could get good!

6uXNWAo.png

My question with the Saints would be could they bring in a Brian Billick, a Jon Gruden, or Tony Dungy type of name to be the coach for one year or are they stuck with whatever they have? I could see alot of coaches being willing to take a team with this kind of talent for one season because they are legit Super Bowl contenders.

As for the Saints though I can't have much sympathy for them because they tried to make the NFL look like idiots. They were told to stop doing this and they just ignored them. How did the Saints expect the people in charge of enforcing these type of rules not to take that blatant arrogance personally and not throw the book at them?

The message was very clear. If you try to screw over the NFL or think of yourself as somehow being above the rules, we will put you in your place very fast.

If the NFL wants to stop the bounty system they would have to change the whole culture of football in America. In high school - heck, even in middle school - you knew going in to the game who the best players are. You know the kids that you just don't like. You know who the quarterback is. And when you get a chance knock the crap out of them, you do it. Do you get paid? No. But it sure as heck feels good and if it knocks them out of the game then you helped your team. It's something you have to deal with when you set yourself apart as a playmaker; people are going to come after you.

And it's official...Roger Goodell has officially killed football as we know it, enforcing his nanny state.

Either way, Goodell's got to go.

Okay, now that you've gotten your senseless BRARRRRHHH I'M MADDDD post out of the way, maybe you'd like to contribute a rational thought now.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

My question with the Saints would be could they bring in a Brian Billick, a Jon Gruden, or Tony Dungy type of name to be the coach for one year or are they stuck with whatever they have? I could see alot of coaches being willing to take a team with this kind of talent for one season because they are legit Super Bowl contenders.

I doubt it. Payton didn't get fired, just suspended.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

If the NFL wants to stop the bounty system they would have to change the whole culture of football in America. In high school - heck, even in middle school - you knew going in to the game who the best players are. You know the kids that you just don't like. You know who the quarterback is. And when you get a chance knock the crap out of them, you do it. Do you get paid? No..

That last word puts the lie to your argument.

We're not talking about hard hits. Not even targeted hits. We're talking about an organized system to pay players for deliberately inflicting injuridies on other players. We're also taking about lying to the League about that system and trying to cover it up.

And yes, the NFL can stop this behavior. Mostly by leveling penalties so severe that no coach, GM or owner will either encourage or allow such a system to exist again in the future.

It was going to die anyway. If not from league action then from the grassroots as parents stop letting their kids participate in amateur bloodsport, which would eventually percolate up the foodchain. Only this way the league gets to continue to exist and will have new talent coming in.

----------------------------------------

The Rams have said that they had no clue Williams was doing this and had they known this was going on, they wouldn't have hired him. This is probably a lie from Jeff Fisher at least, but a defensible one...so long as the NFL doesn't ask why they hired Dave McGinnis as Assistant Head Coach too.

That said, ownership appears to have been unable to convince Fisher to toss his frat brother over the side, so the Ram defense will officially be run by a troika this season. Think Cerberus, only if Cerberus had one brain to go between his heads.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely.

Heavy penalty for Sean Peyton...didn't expect that. Figured a fine would be appropriate.

I don't think he bowed and scraped in apology quite enough for Goodell.

As for who will take over, the obvious choice would be Spags, right? Either him or Pete Carmichael, the OC, who called the plays when Payton was injured last season.

cookiemonster.gif

It will be beautiful watching him destroy a Super Bowl contender. I only wish I could be there when Drew Brees checks out the game tape of the Rams' offense the last 3 years.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

After thinking about it a lot, I think that the NFL made the right decision in punishing the Saints. However, there was one comment that I saw somewhere where somebody said that the Saints championship in 2009 is now "tainted."

Not at all. While bounty systems should not be allowed, they are not cheating to me. They don't give you an unfair advantage at winning a game. I do not agree with the assessment that the title run is tainted now.

It's hard to explain what I mean about how bounty systems seem against the rules, but not "cheating." Does anyone else know what I mean?

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Archived