PuckDrawn NHL redesign contest

dgnmrwrw

PuckDrawn Contest  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought I'd try my hand at PuckDrawn's ongoing contest, to rebrand an existing NHL franchise. I've had tons of ideas/sketches/concepts floating around for a loooong time that I've yet to post (eventually most will be part of series), so being short of time I decided to adapt one of them as my official entry. But I have eight that I am considering, so I figured I'd let the community vote to decide which entry I should submit.

The requirements are as follows:

The team city/location name must remain the same;

A primary logo, alternate logo, and wordmark must be produced;

Home and road uniforms must be produced;

A color scheme must be included;

A 'pitch' must be included;

Only one concept may be submitted.

I haven't written any of the pitches yet, simply because I didn't want to take the time to do eight instead of one. So help me pick. I thought I'd let everyone vote on the initial eight concepts, then ideally narrow the vote down to two or three concepts to choose the winner. (I certainly have my own preferences, but I thought it would be fun to completely detatch myself from the process.)

Hopefully everything is self-explanitory. But if anyone has questions, go ahead and ask, and I'll try my best to address them.

Anaheim Avengers

Colorado Cougars

Dallas Dragons

Florida Herons

Phoenix Firebirds

Pittsburgh Drillers

San Jose Spiders

Vancouver Spirits

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avengers or Herons.

They're all fantastic.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I love the logos for the Spirits and Dragons especially, though almost all the logo work is absolutely excellent. The only things I'm not fond of logo-wise are the Firebirds logo, the font choice of the Avengers, while I consider the Cougars' font to be far and away the best script font of all your concepts. If that's a custom font, you deserve double bonus points for it... stunning.

In contrast, I don't really like your jerseys... aside from the Avegnder jersey, where the hem stripe is really cool, most of them are very underwhelming. The stripes in general are much too thin, and the placement is often really questionable.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Great job on all of them!

If I had to pick my favorite(and it isn't that easy) I'd probably go with the Florida Herons. I just seems better designed than some of the other logos and has a nice sense of motion too.

The Cougars is my second favorite sans the primary logo. The secondary and script logo are flawless, however.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Let me just preface by saying that you really can't go wrong with any of them - each identity is absolutely stellar. Incredible work.

That said, Vancouver is one of the best, most well-designed concepts I've ever seen on the boards. It is your strongest in a bunch that is very strong collectively in its own right. I say that one would be tops for me.

Fantastic, excellent work as always. VERY well done all around.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Voted for the Avengers. For a lot of the designs, I loved the logo, but did not like your choice of home jersey colour. I think I prefer more traditional colours for the main body of a jersey.

rATMcmK.png

Thanks to everyone for participating so far. I'm certainly glad I posted these and got feedback, because I was leaning toward the Firebirds and the Cougars, two of the least-preferred entries. There definitely seems to be a consensus (at least of two or three teams) developing. So keep the votes and feedback coming, and I may go back and create a run-off poll to pick the eventual winner. (I'm also not against tweaking the winning entry based on your feedback.)

Regarding the typefaces/numerals, everything you see here is custom-constructed. That includes the Cougars' script, which was originally developed for a baseball concept. I liked it so much that I wanted to use it here (I could see it looking nice on an alternate sweater).

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived