New Texas Football practice Jerseys

gdu

Honestly... I don't hate some of the ideas.

A logo on the pants, the orange pants, the longhorn in the flywire.

Some of this stuff could be adapted to the classic Longhorns look. The black and the off-colored shoulders don't really have a place, and I wouldn't want them to be worn, as is, in a game, but I don't completely hate them.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The white jersey sucks (too much black, not enough orange), but the orange and black jerseys are absolutely fantastic and far better than what Texas currently wears. Just make the yokes orange with black stripes on the white jerseys and then pleasepleaseplease wear these for real, 'Horns!

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I have to be honest...I rather like the burnt orange pants. Everything else? Not really.

In regards to the burnt orange pants, just change the Texas state logo from black to white and throw that pair into the regular rotation. I wouldn't wear them every week, but I think they'd look great on either the home or away combos once in a while.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

ApKQti_CAAArqwE.jpg

And see, I don't hate this particular jersey at all. It's something about the color balance. Like I've said in other threads, not taking tradition into account when evaluating the aesthetic merits of a jersey and simply judging by design (i.e. if this wasn't for Texas), this one is OK by me. The fact that there are big bold chunks of contrasting colors (that still work well together) here make these OK as far as I'm concerned.

When did the Texas Longhorns become the Philadelphia Flyers?

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

Start the countdown until someone posts about how awesome these are and says they should be worn in a game...

Wow these are awesome and should be worn in a game :P

I'm waiting for someone to say that this is actually the new NFL template being rolled out for Texas as a way of getting feedback on it.

CORRECTION: Someone in the NFL thread already has. They said this is the template for the Titans.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The white jersey sucks (too much black, not enough orange), but the orange and black jerseys are absolutely fantastic and far better than what Texas currently wears. Just make the yokes orange with black stripes on the white jerseys and then pleasepleaseplease wear these for real, 'Horns!

I get that you're an ultra-modernist who might like these based on their own merits, but you can't honestly think adding black would be a good idea for Texas when their brand has always been based around a single color that is freely associated with their university. I can understand Tennessee using black or UNC using navy to help their signature colors contrast better with white, but that's not necessary with Texas orange.

You just know the next edition of those practice jerseys are gonna show up swathed with anthracite...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think this is pretty much the UT football program's way of placating the players. They get to wear ugly uniforms that fit in with the latest craze that's sweeping the college football nation, while keeping the regular unis so that the fans in the Great State of Texas don't have one humongous bonfire in which they burn the new stuff in protest.

AD (or whoever's in charge of this): "Oh, you wanna wear some tacky-ass uniforms?"

Rising Senior: "Hell yeah, we want that new :censored:!"

AD: "Well how about this: Not only will we get you some new uniforms, you'll get to wear those uniforms WAY more often than the regular unis that you guys have, now!"

Rising Senior: "YOU KIDDING?!"

AD: "NOPE!"

Rising Senior: "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

AD: "Every day of the week! Except on Saturdays and whatever other day the TV contract has us playing on!"

Rising: "YESSSS-wait."

Highly doubt that was what actually happened, but I'd like to think that that was the way it went down.

TFoA, I liked your conversation so much I had to carry it over...And here's the conversation from the AD to a freshman:

AD (or whoever's in charge of this): "Oh, you wanna wear some tacky-ass uniforms?"

New Freshman: "Hell yeah, that'd be SICK!!!!"

AD: "Well how about this: Not only will we get you some new uniforms, you'll get to wear those uniforms WAY more often than the regular unis that you guys have, now!"

New Freshman: "That'd be SICK!!!!!"

AD: "Right??!"

New Freshman: "OMG! No way!"

AD: "Every day of the week! Except on Saturdays and whatever other day the TV contract has us playing on!"

New Freshman: "That's gonna be SICK!!!

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm pretty sure Texas uses black in a lot of their other sports,

Not in basketball.

thompson_joseph_h10_606731c.jpg

utbball.png

so for consistency's sake, I don't mind it here.

The reason I went straight to basketball is because, in the realm of NCAA athletics, football and basketball are the real breadwinners and flagship programs of athletic departments. Football's probably even more of a flagship program at Texas then basketball is.

Do the baseball and track teams use black trim? Maybe. Doesn't matter though because the centrepiece programs should be the ones that truly embrace the university's brand and image. The brand of the University of Texas Longhorns is, whether you like it or not, traditional.

Baseball does use black trim, and while college baseball isn't a big deal everywhere, it's a huge deal at UT. Hard to argue that a program with six national titles and twelve College World Series appearances isn't a centerpiece program.

TCU-Texas-Baseball__477118c.jpg

Texas basketball has also worn black uniforms before:

750905644_deEnd-L.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

"I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice." - Allen Iverson

I complete understand the use of the pro-combat uniform for practice. As a coach I am a firm believer that you should practice how you play and wearing the same uniform cut and fit could translate well for players. I'm not a fan of the design at all.

Baseball does use black trim, and while college baseball isn't a big deal everywhere, it's a huge deal at UT. Hard to argue that a program with six national titles and twelve College World Series appearances isn't a centerpiece program.

TCU-Texas-Baseball__477118c.jpg

Easy to argue that it's not a centrepiece program. Six national titles and twelve College World Series appearances is all well and good, but it doesn't suddenly make the baseball program a flagship if it's not what brings in the viewers and donations. You can certainly have a tremendously well run and successful NCAA baseball program. That doesn't change the fact that baseball isn't a big deal at the NCAA level

Texas basketball has also worn black uniforms before:

750905644_deEnd-L.jpg

Spiffy. They don't wear it now though. Plenty of teams experiment, but Longhorns basketball seems to have gone back to what's worked.

Sorry, all of this comes off as stretching to try and justify the Longhorns' use of black in game uniforms as seen in these pretty terrible practice uniforms. Sometimes modernists fail to recognize that not EVERY team needs tricked out uniforms, multiple uniform combinations, and black and/or grey inserted everywhere.

Maybe that works for some schools, like Boise or Oregon. Not every school is Boise or Oregon though. Schools like Notre Dame and Texas? They're traditional. What you call "boring" works for them, and they shouldn't mess with it.

Start the countdown until someone posts about how awesome these are and says they should be worn in a game...

Wow these are awesome and should be worn in a game :P

I'm waiting for someone to say that this is actually the new NFL template being rolled out for Texas as a way of getting feedback on it.

CORRECTION: Someone in the NFL thread already has. They said this is the template for the Titans.

Correction I said I FIGURE thats how the titans design will translate to the Speed Machine Unis not that it is for sure.

Archived