The Rite of Spring

The_Admiral

[wishfulthinking]Oh hey, so now that the Coyotes are eliminated, all the groaning and pointing out the lack of class can go in the golf thread and out of here, right? Right?[/wishfulthinking]

Seriously guys, they're gone. Done. Not even relevant now. Do you all really have to keep complaining about 'em here? There's no point. Kings won the West, and there's still a series in the East. That's all that's relevant now.

Give it 12 hours, no one in this thread will be talking about the Coyotes.

It isn't unreasonable for people to comment on the happenings of a game that JUST ended though.

I suppose you're right. I'm just saying "we get it", that's all. No need to stretch it farther than it has to go - just post the obligatory .gif applause and move on.

And like I said in my edit, not at all trying to pick anything with anyone. All I'm saying is the point's been made countless times. "Justice" has been served, let's call it a day.

With this Coyotes team though, well there's a lot to dislike. If it's not the league owned/government subsidy thing then it's the general sense of entitlement, Doan acting like a child, or Mike Smith's antics. Like it or not, this team stirs up some potent emotions that were bound to come out if/when they were eliminated.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you had to say it. I think the .gif/YouTube celebration was already dying down.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got back from partying this win with my friends. FOUR wins left to grab the cup. Love it! ^_^

But ugh, we have to wait a week to begin playing again? Oh well, here's to a good remainder of the East Finals. And you'll know the Kings will be watching them.

I've very happy the Kings won the West, but I know they have no chance against the Rangers or Devils. Oh well, I'll be happy just seeing them in the Finals. Too bad I can't get Staples Center tickets.

I've very happy the Kings won the West, but I know they have no chance against the Rangers or Devils. Oh well, I'll be happy just seeing them in the Finals. Too bad I can't get Staples Center tickets.

Ah, but you forget, Hockey Makes No Sense.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

mwahahaha. Perfect.

http://chirb.it/0sPLgz

Here are some postgame thoughts from Phoenix Coyotes goalie Hawk Harrelson.

:lol: Wouldn't Hawk just not have answered any questions at all? Just sat there silently?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

well congrats to the Kings of the West, hopefully we will be seeing you in Newark next week.

Oh btw its pronounced NORK its not NEW ARK its NORK.

I thought it was "Nooerk," rhymes with "you work." Are you saying it rhymes with "pork"?

As someone who is a true born and bred North Jerseyan, who grew up in Bayonne, right across Newark Bay from Newark and spent a lot of time there, Tank is, surprisingly, wrong.

It is pronounced NEW-werk, and yes, it rhymes with "You Work".

"Nork" is how no one says it. Ever.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

[wishfulthinking]Oh hey, so now that the Coyotes are eliminated, all the groaning and pointing out the lack of class can go in the golf thread and out of here, right? Right?[/wishfulthinking]

Seriously guys, they're gone. Done. Not even relevant now. Do you all really have to keep complaining about 'em here? There's no point. Kings won the West, and there's still a series in the East. That's all that's relevant now.

It isn't unreasonable for people to comment on the happenings of a game that JUST ended though.

I suppose you're right. I'm just saying "we get it", that's all. No need to stretch it farther than it has to go - just post the obligatory .gif applause and move on.

And like I said in my edit, not at all trying to pick anything with anyone. All I'm saying is the point's been made countless times. "Justice" has been served, let's call it a day.

With this Coyotes team though, well there's a lot to dislike. If it's not the league owned/government subsidy thing then it's the general sense of entitlement, Doan acting like a child, or Mike Smith's antics. Like it or not, this team stirs up some potent emotions that were bound to come out if/when they were eliminated.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think you had to say it. I think the .gif/YouTube celebration was already dying down.

It's funny to me how our POV effects how we see everything.

I get what you're saying about the Coyotes, I can see where you'd be coming from.

But I find Dustin Brown to be AT BEST a player who treads a questionable line. Dustin Penner to follow his lead. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter happy to chip in with the dirty acts. Dwight King has no business on the ice. Jonathan Quick attacks players during play. And Drew Doughty is biggest whiner on the ice no matter who he's playing. And Darryl Sutter is a douche who's game plan is to target the opposing teams best players with questionable hits. If you like him you say it's to get him off their game, if you don't you say it's to get them OUT of the game.

And my perspective is of course jaded at this point. Just as many of yours are either by being so upset about the situation with the franchise or by having been eliminated by the team or both.

I don't who will admit to that, though, but it's pretty evident in this thread.

I don't know enough about Dwight King to say he doesn't belong on the ice, but he seems like he's had a good postseason. There's no arguing Richards or Brown, though.

Anyway. Keith Yandle, You're Doing It Wrong:

They know we don't have an owner. They know we don't have anyone to back us up. I mean, I know they wear the same colors as the Kings, but they didn't have to play for them tonight.

Oookay.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

While I understand the notion that the Coyotes are owned by the league, so they'd be getting favored, we shouldn't pretend that the NHL didn't circle LA vs. NY on it's bracket a long freaking time ago. Nor should we doubt they would act on it.

But I didn't watch much of this past series, so I can't say for sure. Nor do I think they had any impact on the Blues-Kings series. (Actually, I think they had a huge impact on one crucial play in game one, but I blame the Blues for not sacking up after that happened. Can't blame the refs/league when you roll over so early.)

Congrats to the Kings... I don't think there has ever been a team, let alone an 8 seed, that has knocked off the 1 seed (Vancouver), 2 seed (St. Louis) and 3 seed (Phoenix) in the same postseason. The Kings deserve this moment because, let's face it, they have been nothing short of lights out this postseason.

I do want to congratulate Phoenix for having their most successful season ever, but... come on guys. No need for the goalie to basically use his stick like a lance and jab a player on the other team. No need for the captain to go into full on 'crybaby' mode and there is no reason EVER for fans to start throwing trash on the ice like it was a damn ECW event.

Some Phoenix fans (but not all) may want to take this time off and think a little about growing up after this little incident.

While I understand the notion that the Coyotes are owned by the league, so they'd be getting favored, we shouldn't pretend that the NHL didn't circle LA vs. NY on it's bracket a long freaking time ago. Nor should we doubt they would act on it.

Both ideas are completely ridiculous.

When will people realize that refs/leagues fixing sports events is not only ludicrous, but next to impossible to put in practice (inconspicuously, that is). In a game like hockey, nothing short of a blatantly obvious travesty of officiating would have to happen for a team to be "guaranteed" to win. And I think we can all agree the last thing the NHL needs right now is to risk trying to fix games, even if it does mean putting two mega markets against each other.

oBIgzrL.png

Congrats to the Kings... I don't think there has ever been a team, let alone an 8 seed, that has knocked off the 1 seed (Vancouver), 2 seed (St. Louis) and 3 seed (Phoenix) in the same postseason. The Kings deserve this moment because, let's face it, they have been nothing short of lights out this postseason.

I do want to congratulate Phoenix for having their most successful season ever, but... come on guys. No need for the goalie to basically use his stick like a lance and jab a player on the other team. No need for the captain to go into full on 'crybaby' mode and there is no reason EVER for fans to start throwing trash on the ice like it was a damn ECW event.

Some Phoenix fans (but not all) may want to take this time off and think a little about growing up after this little incident.

Shane Doan in particular has always been a little bitch, notable only for the fact that he's been with the franchise since they were in their rightful home of Winnipeg.

Mike Smith disappointed me big time with his actions in this series, using the stick as a weapon. A good ole Canadian boy should know the unwritten rules of hockey way too well to know how big a no-no that is.

spacer.png

Congrats to the Kings... I don't think there has ever been a team, let alone an 8 seed, that has knocked off the 1 seed (Vancouver), 2 seed (St. Louis) and 3 seed (Phoenix) in the same postseason.

Calgary Flames, 2004 (although they were seeded sixth)

Also coached by Darryl Sutter, strangely enough.

It's funny to me how our POV effects how we see everything.

I get what you're saying about the Coyotes, I can see where you'd be coming from.

And my perspective is of course jaded at this point. Just as many of yours are either by being so upset about the situation with the franchise or by having been eliminated by the team or both.

I don't who will admit to that, though, but it's pretty evident in this thread.

Hehe. I never denied that my anti-Couotes sentiment was due to my frustration with how the league and city of Glendale have handled this mess.

I called the goal that sent the Coyotes packing the "Goal of Justice" for cripe's sake. I wouldn't use such obvious hyperbole for a team I simply disliked.

The antics of Doan, Smith, and their fans just kind of added to a sentiment I never denied having.

Both ideas are completely ridiculous.

When will people realize that refs/leagues fixing sports events is not only ludicrous, but next to impossible to put in practice (inconspicuously, that is). In a game like hockey, nothing short of a blatantly obvious travesty of officiating would have to happen for a team to be "guaranteed" to win. And I think we can all agree the last thing the NHL needs right now is to risk trying to fix games, even if it does mean putting two mega markets against each other.

The thing is, there have been times where it's completely conspicuous.

On the other hand, I don't think the league guarantees anything. Fixing games is next to impossible. Guiding games is more realistic.

All this and yet lost was Smith getting free punches in on any King checked into the crease.

you've gotta fight to protect your crease that's holy ground anything goes there including feigning your own death to get a call because that's your precious precious crease derp derp derp

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived