Favorite MLB ballparks

ltjets21

This stadium in Richmond has always intrigued me, but I've never been:

Diamon98.jpg

4611968259_8521082db2_o.jpg

It's like a cookie cutter minor league ballpark. Anyone ever catch a game there? ಠ_ಠ

Actually it looks like a somewhat shrunken version of Angel Stadium before they renovated it in the 70's.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to 3 ballparks in my life---

1. Marlins Park - Beautiful, excellent food, great views from everywhere. Makes me very proud it's finally built and on such a historical piece of land.

2. Shea Stadium- yes it was a dump and the food sucked, but it was great to watch a game there and feel what my grandpa felt in 69, 86 and 00 when it was jumping.

666. Dolphins Stadium, Joe Robbie, Sunlife, Pro Player. This place was :censored:. Run by the Dolphins, occupied by the Marlins and you knew it. Parking was $20, concessions were horrible and way over priced, different prices at souvenier stands depending on who owned them (Marlins little pop up stands, Dolphins the big ones). Hot, Humid, and very sticky to try to enjoy a game, even while looking straight out at CF and needing to crank your neck to the SP and Batter.

Who else has been to Marlins Park- your thoughts?

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

I've been to two ballparks; Tropicana Field and Great American Ballpark.

Tropicana Field:

I went there on a tour of the ballpark and found out that it wasn't as bad as it looks. The food is really good and there was paintings about the history of baseball in the area. The seats have really good views and are very cheap. I know that few people go to the games; but when it's packed, the atmosphere is almost unmatched with the combination of cowbells ringing and loud fans. One more thing, there is a touch tank filled with cownose rays and you get to touch them (which is something most parks don't have). I hope to go to a game this summer.

Great American Ballpark:

I been there with my father and his best friend a few years back. I liked the modern look with the steampipes and the clock in left by the scoreboard. If I know correctly, it is a replica of the one on Crosley Field. I don't remember as much about the GAB as I do at Tropicana Field. Overall, it is pretty unique and will get better with age.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Target Field! Look at my sig, its beautiful. You know whats funny, it was built on one of the smallest square acre's ever in MLB history, yet its a pitchers ballpark. The Twins say it was built up not out.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Target Field! Look at my sig, its beautiful. You know whats funny, it was built on one of the smallest square acre's ever in MLB history, yet its a pitchers ballpark. The Twins say it was built up not out.

I like the whole look of Target Field. I'd like to see a game there.

Tf9TG.jpg

Coors field is one of the bigger disappointments for me. The outfield should be open. The Rockies as a backdrop? I would weep every 3 innings. I mean, you would understand why they are called the Rockies every time you looked up. Missed opportunity.

The White Sox missed a similar opportunity. If New Comiskey Park were rotated 90 degrees and the outfield were opened up a bit the fans would have an excellent view of the Chicago skyline. Instead, those views are from the ramps on the way out.

Here are my rankings of current stadiums I've been to:

PNC Park - Well-designed intimate ballpark with great views in a great location.

Citizens Bank - I really like the Ashburn Alley area with the rooftop seating homage to Shibe Park.

Great American Ballpark - Great view of ships traveling by on the river.

Turner Field - One of the few places I've been pleasantly surprised by when I visited. There's nice, open concourses, food areas, the seats are good, and the scoreboard is great.

Safeco Field - Another very nice stadium without anything especially notable about it.

Petco Park - Love the building in left field and the sand beyond center.

AT&T Park - Great location on the water; ballpark itself was good, but nothing special.

Progressive Field - Very nice.

Wrigley Field - Lots of great seats- and some terrible ones too; concourses are dark and cramped.

Fenway Park (post-renovations) - Love the new open concourses and food areas; has some of the worst seats I've ever sat in for a game.

Miller Park - It has a bit of a warehouse field, but the windows in the outfield and along the foul lines help.

Coors Field - Very nice stadium; nothing really stands out about it though.

New Comiskey Park (post-renovations) - My "home" stadium. It's much improved since the renovations. It's a fine place to watch a game, but I'll never get over how badly they missed with the initial design.

Target Field - I really like parts of it (like the plaza in right field) and parts I don't (the upper deck concourse is a mess).

Busch Stadium - Nice, but underwhelming. Great view of the arch though.

Kauffman Stadium (pre-renovation) - For a stadium with waterfalls in the outfield it was a pretty drab place.

Rogers Centre - It was so futuristic when it opened. It's so dated now.

I am glad to see Turner Field showing up a bit more. It's the only park I have been to, other than the minor league Jacksonville Suns. So I can't really comment on favorite stadiums. But glad to see my experience at Turner isn't the only positive one.

fP8H4Wf.jpg

The White Sox missed a similar opportunity. If New Comiskey Park were rotated 90 degrees and the outfield were opened up a bit the fans would have an excellent view of the Chicago skyline. Instead, those views are from the ramps on the way out.

Lots of people say that, but I disagree. I mean, it would have been a better view than the Dan Ryan expressway, but even from the upper deck, all you can see to the north is the large trees in Armour Park with a few buildings rising above them. It isn't a great view of downtown because it is too far south.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I hope to see every ball park before I die. My father and I have been to 20 together. As a Red Sox fan obviously Fenway is our favorite, you can't beat the atmosphere during a game there. However, of the new ballparks or relatively new ballparks my favorite would have to be PNC and AT&T with Camden trailing behind but not by much.

If we're talking just MLB parks then it's Camden Yards for me. If we're talking ballparks in general then my absolute favorite is 5/3 Field in Toledo. Bright House Field in Clearwater is a close second.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

If we're talking just MLB parks then it's Camden Yards for me. If we're talking ballparks in general then my absolute favorite is 5/3 Field in Toledo. Bright House Field in Clearwater is a close second.

Camden Yards' staff is so friendly! I wish the Citi Field ushers and whatnot were more polite, lenient, etc. It's also a beautiful, open ballpark. Camden Yards is a stadium you don't really understand until you go there. It's basically baseball heaven. I think it's really to the credit of the people who run the ballpark. They suck at putting together a good team but they know how to create a fan friendly atmosphere.

Tf9TG.jpg

Camden Yards is unique? To me it looks just like Citizens Bank Park in Philly and Coors Field in Denver with minor details differing.

Just a minor detail like a GIANT warehouse behind the outfield. It was very unique when it was built. Any parks resembling it are due to complete imitation.

No doubt it was trend setting when it was built, but its not unique anymore. I love the park and it is beautiful but its just not unique anymore.

Who cares, it's the original retro ballpark. It's the model of EVERY stadium since then save the New Yankee Stadium. Go to the stadium before making a judgment about it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Tf9TG.jpg

i've been to tampa, cincy, and seattle to watch games (later this year i'm going to catch games in phoenix). of the parks i have been to, i have to say i like safeco a bunch. when the dome was open (and we were lucky that for that series the dome was open the entire time) there were some really good shots of seattle's skyline.

great american was kinda "meh". for one of the newer ballparks i was kinda surprised about how unimpressed i was with it. there are real good shots of kentucky, and not much else.

tampa, well, i think the stadium is perfectly described by this: during the early part of the game, say 2nd or 3rd inning, the cubs made an error. the official scorekeeper didn't make an initial announcement until the 6th. the stadium inside is sterile, the stadium is not only on the wrong side of town but is isolated in the middle of a large parking lot in the wrong part of town. i would not miss that place if it was imploded tomorrow.

i'd love to visit wrigley, pnc, target, att, and the jake (ironic because i have been to cleveland several times for races which is pretty much right next to the place).

As a lifelong NJ resident and Royals fan, I'm a little bit biased.

Kauffman - love it but there's lots of cement and I don't like some of the renovations. They lost some of the fountains but made it such that you can walk all the way around. But that's what I see on TV, not being there post-renovation in person. Considering going this year.

Fenway - old but they maintain the place. A priceless experience.

Wrigley - old, feels dumpy, but the atmosphere in the neighborhood around it is something special.

AT&T - only been there once...really beautiful place. Loved it.

PNC - been there 3-4 times, it is GORGEOUS.

Turner Field - boring.

Camden Yards - doesn't do it for me. It is really good and I've been there so many times. It just set off the trend of the new parks and so it already seems dated to me.

Skydome/Rogers Center - enormous with a plastic feel. Not a ballpark. Can't believe people used to watch basketball there. Such a beautiful city needs a more intimate ballpark.

Citizens Bank Park - I like it. Considered a bandbox, but I enjoy it. Get a room at the Holiday Inn in CF, buy a cheap seat in RF and just take everything in.

Citi Field - only been once and my jury is still out. First impression was positive. Double dipped that day by crossing the rail line and going to the Tennis Center.

New Yankee Stadium - again, have to check my bias in at the door. Don't like it. The field is too small, the structure is too big. I don't know...I wish they had stayed in the old dump across the street.

Oakland Coliseum - DUMP!

Miller Park - hidden gem. Surprisingly awesome. All that midwestern charm in the tailgate, and then you get into the park.

RFK - for a cookie cutter, I thought it wasn't bad. Vibrated like hell when whatever crowd was there got feisty.

---

The one I miss is old Baltimore Memorial where I went many times as a kid (even though, yes, I have always lived in NJ). Also did a game at the Vet one night...don't miss that place.

I agree, Bright House Field is really nice, I'd much rather go there than the Trop. Out of the 4-5 MLB stadiums I've been to, I'd say Citizens Bank is the best, just a nice all around park. The Trop is an abomination, and Dolphin Stadium is just boring and sterile (and I was sitting in a suite).

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Tiger Stadium was my favorite place. I loved its history, its sightlines, that dead center was marked as 440 feet (it was probably in actuality only about 425 feet but still seeing that 440 on the wall was always cool) and of course, the overhang.

tiger05.jpg

I've been to lots of others and don't hate Comerica Park by any means, but Tiger Stadium will always be my favorite.

Archived