8jtSJ.jpg

Old UH:

2Jo3z.jpg

XkpYs.jpg

New UH:

kCwfS.jpg

FsjgB.jpg

A8QWX.png

My thoughts? The new cat is an improvement, if only because the old cat looked like Wilford Brimley in cat form. The "cat within an oval" is a little overused - e.g. Penn State and Missouri - but the simplicity works pretty well. The new UH, however, is a disaster. The old one wasn't that great, but all the unnecessary beveling looks busy. In addition, crazy amounts of beveling look dated as of the mid-2000s (Atlanta Hawks rebrand, Milwaukee Bucks rebrand, Texas Tech, Texas A&M).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for shiggles, I decided to do a few mock ups with the new UH without the bevels.

houston_uh.png

Had they come out with this, I could easily see a lot of complaints about how it was too generic and that they look like a D3 team. Even though part of me wishes they would've just brought back the old, thinner UH, I can't complain about the route they went.

As far as the cougar... nothing is wrong with it per se, but as I pointed out here, the aggressive-animal-in-an-oval thing has been done to deal, especially with cats.

Overall, though, I'd have to say solid upgrade.

Well done. Looks similar to Penn State, Mizzou, and Kansas State. Not so similar as to be a problem and I guess there are only so many different ways to illustrate a cat but that was my firm thought.

univmocolumbia_logo.jpg

kansas-state-logo.gif

6g3sx3a2zxgt5z2vb10g.gif

Posted this in the other thread, I'll just add it here.

Excellent upgrade for Houston.

Their interlocking UH was a ripoff of the already bad interlocking UK that Kentucky uses. Now they've got a unique (though interlocking block letters will never be THAT unique) version AND a pretty badass cougar head.

I'm a fan.

Looks great, but why even more blue? When I think of U of H, I think red. I recall getting a whole history of UH when I went to school there but don't recall mentions of blue. But, hey, that was two logos ago.

And I found this on their website

The UH Color Palette

University of Houston?s primary color is red, PMS 186, sometimes known as ?Cougar Red?. Secondary colors are black, white and silver/grey. These colors should comprise the UH Brand Color Palette. As with all graphic elements, these school colors have a rich historical tradition and are immediately identifiable amongst internal and external audiences.

The Pantone PMS (Pantone Matching System) numbers are:

186 red, black and white

Red RGB colors:

204 (red)

0 (green)

0 (blue)

Silver RGB colors:

153 (red)

153 (green)

153 (blue)

To provide greater flexibility in designing materials the PMS color 877 silver has also been added.

Silver is 60% of black

Red CMYK Formula: C=0, M=100, Y=81, K=4

The RGB color combinations are:

Red HEX color #CC0000

Silver HEX color #999999

Where the hell did the navy come from.

Archived