Mis-matching home and road unis

Blue Falcon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Wild's uniforms would be forgivable if not for the fauxback. Get rid of that and the non-matching uniforms aren't that bad.

...because Minnesota has no hockey heritage at all, of course.

But the franchise has no connection to the North Stars and there's nothing about that uniform that says "North Stars" to me. If you won't/can't do something that properly honors that heritage, then just don't bother.

Because the NHL is the only hockey in existence? Newish NHL teams in states that have had all sorts of hockey for ages aren't supposed to have classic-style looks?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Wild's uniforms would be forgivable if not for the fauxback. Get rid of that and the non-matching uniforms aren't that bad.

But the franchise has no connection to the North Stars and there's nothing about that uniform that says "North Stars" to me. If you won't/can't do something that properly honors that heritage, then just don't bother.

Because the NHL is the only hockey in existence? Newish NHL teams in states that have had all sorts of hockey for ages aren't supposed to have classic-style looks?

Regardless, this

3337_2006_07_marian_g.jpg

is better than this

70476462_1-Pictures-of-nhl-jersey-MINNESOTA-WILD-9-Kolvu-red-color-jersey-Minnesota-Wilds-24-Boogaard-red-color.jpg

(I think one or both of these might be fakes, but my point still stands)

spacer.png

Regardless, this

3337_2006_07_marian_g.jpg

is better than this

70476462_1-Pictures-of-nhl-jersey-MINNESOTA-WILD-9-Kolvu-red-color-jersey-Minnesota-Wilds-24-Boogaard-red-color.jpg

(I think one or both of these might be fakes, but my point still stands)

The red one is fake but I still agree with you. I would love to see the original green jersey return.

I'm in Detroit and can tell you this town would be ticked off if the home uniform were changed. The "Detroit" script from the roads is very popular. As for the mismatched set, the current roads, along with the 1984 "Detroit" in block lettering - both with orange, are much beloved.

Eh, I'm torn on the reds vs the original greens. But the original whites were definitely better than their Edge counterparts; it's all in the little details.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I am a fan of mismatching uniforms. Especially from a fan's perspective because it gives two different styles to choose from when buying a jersey.

Yeah... this. I've always liked the way Michigan in particular has used their roads to be more contemporary and modern in contrast with their classic homes. Although for my 1/50th of a dollar, this is the best they've ever looked on the road.

72536874_display_image.jpg?1301542830

I agree with you. Home and road scripts should match--when they're both scripts, of course. Obviously that mandate doesn't exist when you have a chest logo or monogram. Home and road hats should match, as well. You might even say there shouldn't be a "road hat" at all!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I could possibly get on board with the Rays using "TB" as a chest logo on the road, since it would at least match the typeface of the home script, and "Tampa Bay" straight across in the style that "Rays" is looks unwieldy and word-processed.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Lights Out post about the Mets coming in 3...2...1...

It isn't just the Mets... I'm a huge proponent of either using all script or all block. Mixing the two together just looks wrong IMO.

BAD:

al_1995_kansascity.gifal_2011_cleveland.gif

nl_2009_washington.gifal_1982_milwaukee.gif

GOOD:

al_2006_kansascity.gifal_1994_cleveland.gif

nl_2006_washington.gifal_1990_milwaukee.gif

Can't agree - in all those examples, the Nationals are the only ones I consider better-dressed in the lower pictures.

I'm actually with LO on this one, specifically with the Mets. The Blue Jays at least tried to match their homes and roads for the first half of the Black Jays era, but the script looked horrendous:

zqn3nzv1pom4tuehhey8dkw8n.gif

It's saying a lot that "TORONTO" arched and beveled in Agency was better than that (though I was a fan of that road jersey posted above).

There's also the Jets: Home Road

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived