Favorite National Teams

smzimbabwe

So I assume most people cheer for their national teams, national athletes in the Olympics, events like that. Or I could be horribly wrong, I root for all USA teams except the men's basketball team, I always want to see them lose, so maybe people aren't 100% behind their athletes, but it could just be me...

But other than your own countries athletes and teams, what are your favorite countries to root for?

After the United States, I root for all Finnish teams and athletes. Pretty simple, my family is Finnish, got to root for the ancestral home. However, not all their teams or athletes are world-class competition worthy, won't be seeing the soccer team in the World Cup any time soon, so on those occasions where there are no Finns and no Americans, I generally go for Germany and Canada...

And the one country I will never cheer for is France. I take great joy in their losing anything. Doesn't matter what the event is, if there's a French competitor, I hope he/she finishes dead last...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of the Olympics I only represent the stars and stripes. I wouldn't even think to cheer for another country even if USA wasn't in the competition. At that point I want them all to lose!

But for international soccer, I root for Spain and Germany, two of my ancestral roots. I can also tolerate France winning as well.

Every other sport it's USA, USA!!!

Manchester-City-icon.png

I generally support the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland (country of birth)

I spent most of my childhood in Canada, a country where I obtained my love for hockey. So I support Canada in hockey.

I have lived the last 15+ years of my life here in the U.S.A, I support them whenever it doesn't clash with the other teams I'm mentioned. For example, in the 2008 Olympics, I was a big follower and supporter of swimmer Micheal Phelps and gymnasts Nastia Liukin, and Shawn Johnson.

I support the USMNT when it comes to soccer, but my family strongly support Mexico (father's side) and Italy (mother's side) so I will watch and somewhat support them as well.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I'm Canadian, but I have English and Welsh heritage, so after Canada I tend to support England in most international sports. I pay attention to the Welsh national soccer team a little, but they always seem to come just short of making any major tournaments, as opposed to England who make the tournament, get overhyped and fail miserably <_< . In the olympics, I really only care about Canada.

In hockey, if Canada is out I like to see teams like Finland or Slovakia do well.

New Zealand, specifically the All Blacks. The most successful team in national sporting history.

In over a hundred years of rugby, the All Blacks hold an 84% winning record against all oppostion played. They have also won 74% of all test matches played.

In a century, they have only been beaten by 7 national teams (if you include a World XV and the Lions). In the history of the sport, major international teams including Ireland, Scotland and Argentina (USA & Canada too) have NEVER beaten them.

Not bad for a country with a population half that of New York City.

Otherwise, anyone playing Australia.

French and Dutch decent. But, mainly the Netherlands for many reasons. Canada, duh, and England.

When it comes to the Olympics, out side of Canada. Usually a nation that has a chance at upsetting a power nation. (USA, China, Germany)

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Sweden, only because I like their hockey uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

USA first and foremost.

Ancestry leads me to support Croatia as well as Germany and Ireland to an extent. (And France, Italy, Hungary, and Slovakia). In soccer specifically, I also like to see England do well - my first ever match was at Wembley.

I also pull for Cameroon as my girlfriend was born there.

6fQjS3M.png

US in everything first. Even in sports we aren't good at I'll always pull for the American.

Then really for soccer I pull for Germany second since I'm mostly German. (US all the way first though)

I do pull for Canada number 2 when the US isn't involved or have been eliminated.

I really don't get being from one country and pulling for another one over your home country. I can understand people who immigrated here but even then I'd think they'd pull for the US a little bit. I know if I moved somewhere and became a citizen I would start rooting for that country and the US.

USA first and foremost.

Ancestry leads me to support Croatia as well as Germany and Ireland to an extent. (And France, Italy, Hungary, and Slovakia). In soccer specifically, I also like to see England do well - my first ever match was at Wembley.

I also pull for Cameroon as my girlfriend was born there.

Hold up, Crash...you be dippin' in the chocolate, man? I knew you was cool like that. :P

-----------------------------------------------------------

Back on topic...outside the U.S. of A., I have one rooting interest...its in my sig. I've mentioned this a couple tines previous, but I really got all thethe wayunderdog back into soccer during my overseas deployments, and for whatever reason the Argentine national team would be on frequently. It eventually got to where I recognized the uniforms and from then on I'd find myself watching their games whenever I could. That I found myself seeing this fine lil' Argentine chica during my time in Maryland, and seeing how bonkers she was over the fact that I a/ actually knew s#!t about her home country and b/ followed their mens national soccer team really only solidified that fandom.

So yeah...that's how I became an Argentina fan.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived