Los Angeles Clippers

buckeyes

Did a little search didn't see much, I feel like I've seen whispers of the Clippers changing identities. I went on to the NBAShop today and saw this hat on there. Now it could very easily be a throwback fashion hat or something like that, but is there any chance they slipped up and leaked a new logo?

http://store.nba.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12788322&cp=2132627.2132627&lmdn=Team

newsig.jpg

-The Few, The Proud, The Paint Users.-

That looks like a San Diego Clippers logo on the back of the cap.. so I think it might be a fashion cap.. but ah.. I dunno on that...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

There are few teams in pro sports that could improve their visual identity as easily as the Clippers could. Yet for some reason they refuse to do so. I don't get it. Just par for the course for these guys, I suppose.

There are few teams in pro sports that could improve their visual identity as easily as the Clippers could. Yet for some reason they refuse to do so. I don't get it. Just par for the course for these guys, I suppose.

Sterling's never gonna pony up the cash for a full rebranding. The logo tweak from a couple of years back is about as close as we'll get...

The only thing that sucks about their identity is the color scheme and the primary logo, and even that is par for the course as far as blandness goes in the NBA. They're the only NBA team that still rocks a retro baseball-style script on a regular basis, and I like the design of the current Clipper uniforms. Get a better primary logo and change the color scheme on the current unis to powder blue and orange and they'd have a top 5 identity in the league.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The only thing that sucks about their identity is the color scheme and the primary logo, and even that is par for the course as far as blandness goes in the NBA. They're the only NBA team that still rocks a retro baseball-style script on a regular basis, and I like the design of the current Clipper uniforms. Get a better primary logo and change the color scheme on the current unis to powder blue and orange and they'd have a top 5 10 identity in the league.

I guess I should go to the "unpopular opinions" thread, but overall, I like the Clippers' look. The primary logo is terrible, but the rest is quite good. I like the color scheme. I think they use red, white, and blue as well as any team in sports.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

There are so many nautical symbols that could lead to a unique and iconic Clippers identity but their current look from logos, to colors, to the unis is about as generic as it gets in American sports.

There are so many nautical symbols that could lead to a unique and iconic Clippers identity but their current look from logos, to colors, to the unis is about as generic as it gets in American sports.

I think you nailed it there. I agree with the sentiment expressed earlier that the colour scheme is pretty good and the jerseys are not bad too. I guess the issue isn't that the Clippers identity is terrible so much as it is bland, generic and forgettable. Their entire look is like something from a video game made without a licencing agreement, where you just have generic-looking teams (e.g., PLAYER 1 = PHILADELPHIA, PLAYER 2 = LOS ANGELES). And yes, the resemblance to the LA Lakers logo is inexcusable. One of those logos is enough for LA.

But then, I do find the whole ownership regime for the Clippers to be odd and idiosyncratic. Donald Sterling reminds me of no one as much as the late Harold Ballard, legendary former owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs. He ran the Leafs the way a slumlord runs a tenement - with no regard for anything at all except squeezing as much profit as possible from the operation. Sterling approaches the Clippers the same way, I believe. (The Leafs always had a loyal fanbase because they were the only team in town... why anyone in LA would be a Clippers fan instead of a Lakers fan is beyond me. But I digress.)

Improving the Clips identity would be a bold statement, but of course since it takes money and effort to do that, it simply won't happen. Bizarre.

There was something that looked like sails on the ad board behind the court in the series against the spurs. I posted a pic in the nba logo uniform. Changes thread but got no reply. Anyone have any idea of this is relevant to any changes or if it's just a random design they used??

Simply changing back to the San Diego color scheme and nautical flags spelling out Clippers would go a LONG way in improving their look.

Seconded.

It is what it is.

The only thing that sucks about their identity is the color scheme and the primary logo, and even that is par for the course as far as blandness goes in the NBA. They're the only NBA team that still rocks a retro baseball-style script on a regular basis, and I like the design of the current Clipper uniforms. Get a better primary logo and change the color scheme on the current unis to powder blue and orange and they'd have a top 5 identity in the league.

So..change everything but the wordmark? That would pretty much constitute an overhaul.

I think the nautical flags are corny, but the powder and orange would look awesome. I love the Clippers, but hate the generic look they have. It's one thing if your team has a patriotic theme or you play in Washington, DC, but it's a boat theme in Los Angeles... nothing about that says 'red'. The blue I can buy, but not the red. Heck, they could even try a two-colour uniform set Celtics-style with just blue and white, and it couldn't look worse than what they have now.

I don't mind the uniform template they use, and I really like their wordmarks. The logo says 'We wish we were the Lakers', though, which should be a huge no-no. They can finally come out from under the shadow of the Lakers now, and that is going to require a brand new primary logo. Or an updated old one... always liked the triangles, as simple as they may be.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived