International Football Musings

crashcarson15

I would hope this is mortifying for Barca fans...

Another reason I hate Barca.

...and players from Milan, Chelsea and Bayern don't dive/feign injury?

Unfortunately diving is common place in the game now and not limited to any teams/nations. To single out a single team/player is wrong, especially when a team you show support to has been equally as bad already this season.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to ESPN's Ian Darke on Twitter, NBC is getting the Premier League broadcasting rights. Three-year deal starting next season reportedly worth $83M per season (compared to FOX/ESPN's $23M). I looked around and found reports from about an hour ago saying that the EPL had informed FOX it was not accepting its bid for the EPL rights either.

There's the NBC Sports Network's next big get.

FOX still has the Champions League and Europa League rights as well as the men's/women's World Cups after 2014, but looks like after all the effort ESPN has put in, the worldwide leader is going to be left in the cold when it comes to International Football. Or does ESPN still have the Euro Championship rights?

And how big of a blow is this for the FOX Soccer network? They show live/replayed games/analysis for the EPL ad nauseum. What are they going to fill time with?

http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2012-10-26/nbc-the-frontrunner-to-land-english-premier-league-games

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

OK, who saw NBC coming out of nowhere to land the EPL rights for this part of the world? I know I didn't and I bet a lot of you guys didn't either.

I, for one, see it as a good move because NBC and NBCSN has done a decent job with the MLS package they have right now. I think it's a great deal.

And how big of a blow is this for the FOX Soccer network? They show live/replayed games/analysis for the EPL ad nauseum. What are they going to fill time with?

Fox Soccer is going to be rebranded as Fox Sports 2 within the next 18-24 months regardless.

Speed will be Fox Sports 1 and FuelTV will be Fox Sports 3.

http://fangsbites.com/2012/10/what-is-fox-sports-1-how-does-it-affect-you/

Fox Soccer is going to be rebranded as Fox Sports 2 within the next 18-24 months regardless.

Speed will be Fox Sports 1 and FuelTV will be Fox Sports 3.

http://fangsbites.com/2012/10/what-is-fox-sports-1-how-does-it-affect-you/

Really? My god... We're running out of space for these cable sports networks.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

This is going to be great for the EPL. How many people know where to find their Fox Soccer Channel? I'm pretty sure NBCSN comes standard with most cable packages.

Without the Premier League, though, I feel like ESPN will focus on Spanish, Italian and/or French football, just to stay in the international football pool.

And is Fox really changing their sport-specific channels into just generic "premium package" sports channels? Ugh.

spacer.png

Official.. NBC takes over Premier League rights next year. 18-20 matches on NBC proper. Bulk of matches on NBCSN, other NBC channels may carry games as well. Said every game will be available live on tv or online in some form (likely the Live Extra App and NBCsports.com)

Fantastic. They say they're airing six matches per weekend and'll use a second network.

Hell, you can do it most weeks without a second network. If they'd air one at 7:45, 10:00, and 12:30 in addition to two Sunday matches and the Monday one. Should be interesting what they do, but it ensures United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, and Spurs are on virtually every week. Maybe it'll mean for more Villa matches on... well, that is, if they stay up.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived