International Football Musings

crashcarson15

So why aren't these fans who are going to boycott any different from Cleveland Browns fans who can't get over it?

Because the Football Association and Football League originally ruled against the move, only to have a panel reverse course at the last minute.

Also, franchise relocation's never really happened in soccer before/after.

EDIT: Also circumstances are much different. With the Browns deal, the Browns were assured of a spot in the National Football League. With AFC Wimbledon, they have never been assured a spot in the league they left (League One) and still have not returned to that league, having to endure ten years now of work to get to League Two, where they still sulk in the bottom half of the table.

I know and understand that franchise relocation doesn't usually happen in soccer, but that should be irrelevant here. The supporters, as much as they want to believe, don't own the team (except for a few circumstances), and it does suck when the team moves. Sounds like here, it wasn't the supporters' fault the team left, so I can sympathize with them in that regard, but it's been 10 years; the supporters immediately formed a team and they have clawed their way, very admirably, up to League Two, but again, it's been 10 years. I think they should just go and support their team; don't view it as giving MK Dons money, view it as supporting AFC Wimbledon, the team you like.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't recall any games being played today... it's all blank...

Hm, maybe you're right.... or since I see ManUre in your sig, maybe I'll take the high road...

Oh, who am I kidding? :D

tumblr_mcgzzqbQoG1r4t7nto1_500.gif

tumblr_mc0xzf3mj41r2dkjw.gif

tumblr_mcf40jWUs61qa0z6j.gif

(Sorry, I don't get to savor such wins very often.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Well... Brasileirão is over, Libertadores too, Copa Sul-Americana ain't going to take long to end... Guess I'll have to watch those European Leagues again.

So why aren't these fans who are going to boycott any different from Cleveland Browns fans who can't get over it?

Because the Football Association and Football League originally ruled against the move, only to have a panel reverse course at the last minute.

Also, franchise relocation's never really happened in soccer before/after.

EDIT: Also circumstances are much different. With the Browns deal, the Browns were assured of a spot in the National Football League. With AFC Wimbledon, they have never been assured a spot in the league they left (League One) and still have not returned to that league, having to endure ten years now of work to get to League Two, where they still sulk in the bottom half of the table.

I know and understand that franchise relocation doesn't usually happen in soccer, but that should be irrelevant here. The supporters, as much as they want to believe, don't own the team (except for a few circumstances), and it does suck when the team moves. Sounds like here, it wasn't the supporters' fault the team left, so I can sympathize with them in that regard, but it's been 10 years; the supporters immediately formed a team and they have clawed their way, very admirably, up to League Two, but again, it's been 10 years. I think they should just go and support their team; don't view it as giving MK Dons money, view it as supporting AFC Wimbledon, the team you like.

.Well, it's more of a choice based on pride. For the people who supported Wimbledon back then, Milton Keynes Dons was the result of their old and beloved team being stolen out of their hands to another place, disrespecting their old fans. And no fan like that. Then we had the fans creating a new Wimbledon on their own and taking it to League Two. They ain't my favorite team and I'm not really willing that they promote from there (specially when you have other teams that deserve it, such as Cheltenham), but I hope that one day they actually get better than their original team. That makes me wonder, wouldn't there be sparks if these two meet in some Cup or something?

...Totally forgot I had an account.

Abramovich fired Di Matteo.

What the :censored:. Chelsea were on top of the Premier League five :censored:ing weeks ago, are still only in third place, are the defending FA Cup Champions, are the defending European champions, and Di Matteo has the backing of the players. I'm starting to think Abramovich hates Chelsea. He's too quick to pull the trigger on his coaches.

Not to mention Chelsea is taking on The Other Manchester Team this weekend. No way they're winning that one with a new head coach.

spacer.png

What the :censored:. Chelsea were on top of the Premier League five :censored:ing weeks ago, are still only in third place, are the defending FA Cup Champions, are the defending European champions, and Di Matteo has the backing of the players. I'm starting to think Abramovich hates Chelsea. He's too quick to pull the trigger on his coaches.

Not to mention Chelsea is taking on The Other Manchester Team this weekend. No way they're winning that one with a new head coach.

I remember when Abramovich was actually a good owner. I miss those days.

Seriously, what was his logic behind this move? I'm guessing that something must had happened behind the scenes, leading Abramovich to pull the trigger on Di Matteo.

Shame on Chelsea.

I remember when Abramovich was actually a good owner. I miss those days.

Seriously, what was his logic behind this move? I'm guessing that something must had happened behind the scenes, leading Abramovich to pull the trigger on Di Matteo.

Shame on Chelsea.

It was a pretty absurd move (even if Chelsea were playing WAY over their heads to start the season and were finally regressing towards the mean). This just leads me to think that Roman didn't want to keep Di Matteo on in the first place (as evidenced by the fact that he was labored to even name him the full-time manager after the CL run) and was looking for any reason to fire him, and their failure in this season's CL was just the right opportunity to do so. Getting the feeling that this was one of those Coach Boone from "Remember the Titans" scenarios where Di Matteo basically had to win out just to keep his job. It's a shame too because he was a great fit for them. Rafa's a great manager as well and he should do a good job (assuming Roman actually gives him time to do so & doesn't try to "fix" the mistake by bowing to the supporters), but they really shouldn't have fired Di Matteo in the first place.

And now, to add even more logs to the fire roaring under Abramovich and Benitez's @$$es, West Ham gets two shock 2nd-half goals and is now on the verge of sending the Blues away from Upton Park empty-handed.

Update: Make that three shock 2nd-half goals, the last one basically gifted by a Blues blunder deep in their own end.

CCSLC signature.png

With maybe the exception of Newcastle. I don't think I get more excited when a team scores, then I do with Celtic. 10 minutes away from the last 16 of the Champions League.

Clubs through to the Knockout stage.

PSG

Porto

Schalke

Arsenal

Malaga

AC Milan

Borussia Dortmund

Real Madrid

Shakhtar

Juventus

Bayern Munich

Valencia

Barcelona

Celtic

Manchester United

Galatasaray

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

That's because they're the two best leagues in the world.

/At the very least, the Bundesliga's the most entertaining league in the world, that's for sure.

Really, the only team I don't want to see PSG draw is obviously Real Madrid. I'd be fine with the other 6. Good on Celtic for advancing to the Knockout Stage of the competition.

And Chelsea became the first defending champion to fail to advance from the Group Stage the subsequent year (exception to Marseille after they won in 1993).

6fQjS3M.png

Der-de-der-der It's a shame about the Chelsea! :P

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

So Euro 2020 will be staged around cities in Europe. That sounds like fun......

They're not thinking big enough. Euro around the world!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, it seems inevitable that the country that hosts the final will be thought of as the de facto host nation.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

So Euro 2020 will be staged around cities in Europe. That sounds like fun......

They're not thinking big enough. Euro around the world!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note, it seems inevitable that the country that hosts the final will inevitably be thought of as the de facto host nation.

More than likely.

It will be like Wembley, Camp Nou, Berlin Olympic Stadium. Big city, big stadium.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Archived