Rays new TBTC

Island_Style

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can they be unique when it's a direct copy of the San Diego Padres?

top+100+_60+Dave+Winfield.png

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

You don't know what "lighten up, Francis" is from? Dude!

Damn. I haven't seen that movie in nearly 15 years. And the only parts I really remember are near the end with the RV.

Or, in other words, the only part of the movie that sucked? Shame.

Whatever happened to the actor who played "Psycho"?

(By the way... "Stripes" should be the official CCSLC movie... we love to discuss stripes.)

Really hope the Tigers aid the cause and give us a little 70s throwback as well.

They are. It was said in this thread a while back and they said it during the the game last night. Kind of pumped for this game. Really want to see both teams.

Looks like the team went all out with matching helmets and everyone wearing navy stirrups/gold sanis. Props to Detroit for getting the correct white-outlined orange D caps instead of just using their normal road caps.

Also, I tweeted CC after I picked up a fauxback cap the other day, but I noticed the caps the team is wearing have the tapered powder blue front panel, whereas the ones sold to fans just have the front two panels solid powder blue.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

Looks like the team went all out with matching helmets and everyone wearing navy stirrups/gold sanis. Props to Detroit for getting the correct white-outlined orange D caps instead of just using their normal road caps.

Also, I tweeted CC after I picked up a fauxback cap the other day, but I noticed the caps the team is wearing have the tapered powder blue front panel, whereas the ones sold to fans just have the front two panels solid powder blue.

I noticed that too on TV. I bought the cap last night at the game and noticed the difference tonight.

The gold sanitaries were a great touch. The team should have gone with a 7" or 9" stirrup to show them off more.

Also, it seemed like the sizing of the Rays' pullovers was far better than Majestic's other notoriously baggy work.

Now, don't get me wrong here. This Rays fauxback wasn't an original look, and I don't even know if it's a "good" look in the context of modern baseball. But I'd rather see them wear this than their usual set 162 times out of 162. Add a white jersey with navy sleeves, maybe even light blue and yellow alternates, and there ya go. I'm sold.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's a good think the Rays didn't exist in 1979, because their uniforms suck and supplant the White Sox short uniforms as the worst in baseball.

I wouldn't go that far.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The picture of Jim Leyland can be described as "chillingly appropriate." That picture could be from the '70s and we'd never know.

Not crazy about the Rays' fauxback. I don't like the numbers, and the recolored Padres uniform just looks weird to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Fun one-time thing. Now put them away.

Haven't we seen stuff like this in the concepts section? "What if the Carolina Panthers were around in the 50's?" and such?

You know, I can't help really liking this as an idea, and hoping other newer teams try it out as a one-off... I'm such a huge sucker for the horrible yet beautiful baseball uniforms from the 70's. In practice, though, just lifting the Padres template so completely turned out a little less interesting than something more original might have (although designing something completely from scratch was probably more work and money than they wanted to get into for a quicky fun promotion deal).

As far as ripping off an existing template, think about this one. What if the went with the Astro's rainbow guts as a model, but used their original Devil Rays name and colors? The rainbow would be a complete spectral rainbow (ROYGBIV), the Astro's star would be replaced with the 70's silloutte style Devil Ray, purple hats, sleeves, and high stirrups. Picture it, and try to control yourself.

Archived