2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

Sanchez could throw five more INTs and Rex still isn't going to play Tebow.

He traded for Tebow to sit him, thus killing his popularity and career. Mission accomplished, a$$hole!

He did nothing. That was clearly all Woody, trying to once again get the Jets back into the headlines.

Rex wants to win games. Woody wants to make money. The two aren't always the same.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- That's an incredibly stupid rule and another example of the NFL's overly-complicated rule book getting in the way of its own game. (other examples include the tuck-rule, the Calvin Johnson rule, the "football move" rule, the now corrected force-out rule, the Packers-Seahawks rule). The league needs to go through the rule book and simplify. Instead they'll continue to make it more complicated and it's why football is #3 on my list of favorite sports.

- The refs blew that so hard. He was down. Everyone on the Lions knew he was down. Everyone in the stands knew he was down. Everyone watching at home knew he was down. Everyone on the Texans knew he was down. He knew he was down. The only people who didn't, the most important ones on the field, didn't. The whole scenario is their fault.

- Jim Schwartz threw a challenge flag on a play that was already going to be reviewed. So what? Why does that change anything? Let's just say that the refs blew it so hard that he was being extra cautious. If you say he was showing up the officials, then I'd say they deserved to be shown up. They blew (or didn't in this case) their job about as bad as they could. They deserve ridicule.

- Why is that even a penalty? Isn't the point of replay to get the call right? Okay, unsportsmanlike penalty, fine, but why does it become non-reviewable?

- Schwartz said he knew the rule, but got caught up in the heat of the moment. I can understand that. The Lions had a ten point lead and the refs were in the process of gifting the Texans 7 points. I probably would've thrown the red flag too.

- I'm placing 75% of the blame on the boneheads in striped shirts, 15% on the idiotic, overly-complicated rule book, and 10% on Jim Schwartz.

- BTW, that wasn't the only call that went against the Lions. I didn't care who won so as a pretty impartial observer, Detroit got jobbed quite a few times.

- Still, the Lions gave the Texans the game. They had so many chances to put it away and didn't.

PvO6ZWJ.png

the "football move" rule

This used to be my favorite rule because of all the meathead color commentators watching the replays and asking "okay see he moved to the left here but did he make a football move?" Dan Dierdorf really workin' to get to the bottom of things was one of the little pleasures of sports.

The league needs to go through the rule book and simplify. Instead they'll continue to make it more complicated

The NFL trades too heavily on jargon, contrivances, and illusions of cerebral warfare to do something like simplify. This is America, dammit; we want our microwave directions simple and our televised sports REALLY EFFIN' DIFFICULT. Presenting THE GAME OF FOOTBALL THIS PERFECT MATCH OF BRAINS AND BRAWN as little more than rows of fat guys running into each other headfirst like mating elk would be a little too man-behind-the-curtain.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Everything in the game of football when a football player steps onto the football field, no matter which football team has the football, is a football move.

Well duh... but that's what you get when you have a narcissist as commissioner, dumbass refs who want a ton of excuses to cover their ass in any situation, and a rulebook that's more needlessly convoluted than the tax code.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I liked the time Roger Goodell made such a hash out of the Saints thing that he had to get his old boss to fix it, as if that represented some sort of departure from his own misguided will.

Also, Bettman doesn't care what anyone thinks of him--he lets himself get booed every time he appears in public--and I don't think that's proven to be a positive character trait.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Trainer: Michael Vick still can't drive a car, sleeps all day

Given his age, his lackluster play, and now this tremendous concussion, we may have seen the end of Michael Vick. What a strange career.

edit: Also the Browns have dumped their White Flag promotion.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

That last drive just showed how hilariously stupid the Bears are.

What game are you watching?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Note the time I wrote that. It was after Cutler was called for taunting an Marshall ran backwards.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Note the time I wrote that. It was after Cutler was called for taunting an Marshall ran backwards.

Ah. Well it was a dumb call, anyway. I dig Jay's toughness, was fine w/ the taunt.

edit: Also, :censored: . Bears have no active offensive linemen left. They're officially moving backup tackles inside to play guard, and if anyone else gets hurt, tight ends will start shifting to the edge.

edit 2: Bears season is unwraveling play to play. How many more injuries can happen in one game? Hester, Louis, Spencer, Forte, and Tillman. Just ridiculous.

twitter

Archived