Most unfairly hated logos and uniforms

Ark

For years I thought I was the only one. I agree about the timing, but most importantly the aqua blue.

The 3 squigglies always reminded me of Aquafresh toothpaste.

Aquafresh_logo.png

They also make no sense considering the origin of the 4 stripes is to recognize the 4 straight Cups.

Without a doubt, this

890.gif

a different team, a different history, maybe on a better jersey, that's a great logo. It's the only one to actually depict an "islander", and did so pretty well. But, with a conservative-looking team with a very effective very beloved logo that won four consecutive cups, it just didn't fly, and the backlash has been so bad that nobody has tried to use it since. A real shame.

This X 1000

It's vastly superior to the traditional logo in every way (it, along with the Nordiques logo are among the two worst in pro sports history). I think perhaps the colour scheme and the jersey design itself played a large part in getting this thing ridiculed the way it was, but the logo itself is very well executed.

I agree... nice logo. Horrible uniforms, though.

I am glad to know that I am not the only person on this board that loves this logo.

+100, It was the right logo in the wrong time in Islander hockey.

I like that logo, too. Horrible uniform, though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For no apparent reason I used to hate Washington, and I dislike their older husky logos intensely. Naturally, the one their fans seem to dislike, I love

yer7kx9iyefegr281fmaap900.gif

I love this logo. Since Washington's started taking dumps on their football uniform already, I would love to see this on the helmets. Big. Make it as big as you can. Gold helmets, purple-white-purple stripes, and that logo on the side. Maybe even give it the Michigan Panthers treatment. It would look terrific.

Maybe I'll do a concept for the first time in years.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So "unfairly hated" means "logos I like that most other people don't". There's nothing "unfair" about a lot of people hating a logo for objective reasons.

Kind of like "unpopular opinions".

First thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

The second I saw this thread, I was immediately going to put up the Robo-pen logo. Since Ark already handled that, I think I'll defend Tampa Bay.

(Lightning Logo)

Give this logo some depth, add black & silver, and this logo is top 10 in the NHL easily. I don't see the love over the the previous Lightning era. Sure the colors were great, but they were poorly executed (especially the Rbk Edge era but then again, most Edge era uniforms were poor). I think that with an update of this logo(mentioned above) and some creativity in the uniforms along with it, the Lightning will have their best look within their short history.

That's the thing though. With said fixes, it would be a great logo. However, as it stands now, it's a crappy, uninspired clipart logo, and thus deserving of the hate.

I disagree. I think the logo is simple and beautiful as is. I do not understand everyone screaming for the old logo or for adding elements to the logo that are not needed.

The worst thing they did was add the knee-jerk reaction black elements to the uniforms. Made the whole uniform look disjointed and jarring.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Speaking of the 4 Stripes logo, I have no idea why that gets go much hate.

NYIslandersAlternate.png

It's just a simple shoulder logo that commemorates the team that won the most consecutive playoff series in pro sports, yet if you look at the comments about it on this site, all you read is "terrible" or "crap".

NYIslandersAlternate.png

It's just a simple shoulder logo that commemorates the team that won the most consecutive playoff series in pro sports, yet if you look at the comments about it on this site, all you read is "terrible" or "crap".

I found it to be lazy and obtrusive. The 4 striped hockey stick on the current logo is a much better way to commemorate the 4 cups.

park-796261.jpg

The crest is awful but the sweater design is so much better than what they wear now.

2001-02-SPx-Rookie-Redemption-Tim-Thomas.jpg

Not bad at all, other than the secondary logo. The template was distinctive, yet not a huge departure from the Bruins' history. Would have preferred a brown and yellow color scheme though.

sabourinsave.jpg

I don't usually like Edge piping and panels, but for some odd reason, this worked as an Edgefied update of the aforementioned Bruins uniforms. Maybe it's the abundance of yellow.

MILLER%202001-2002.jpg

The collar still gets a lot of flak to this day, but I liked it. Very unique.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

MILLER%202001-2002.jpg

The collar still gets a lot of flak to this day, but I liked it. Very unique.

Ah...so THAT'S where Nike got that idea from! :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I disagree. I think the logo is simple and beautiful as is. I do not understand everyone screaming for the old logo or for adding elements to the logo that are not needed.

The worst thing they did was add the knee-jerk reaction black elements to the uniforms. Made the whole uniform look disjointed and jarring.

While I agree that the double outline they added clutters it up, it's the only think stopping them from being Maple Wings clones. As beautiful as it may look in a vacuum, you have to consider the rest of the league, and they need to do more to separate themselves from the two previously mentioned teams.

My want for a return of the old elements isn't only due to the issue mentioned above. Even in a vacuum, these colours do not suit a team named the "lightning". When you think of a lightning storm, you don't think of a pleasant shade of royal blue. You think of a dark, black, stormy night, which is why black/silver/blue (and yellow for a time) fit in so well for them.

NYIslandersAlternate.png

I found it to be lazy and obtrusive. The 4 striped hockey stick on the current logo is a much better way to commemorate the 4 cups.

Yes.

I love the idea of saluting their Cup dynasty. However, just slapping 4 stripes on a shoulder is incredibly lazy and unimaginative. Subtly tying it into your logo, like the stripes on the stick, it a much more clever idea.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

208.gif

Doesn't scream "Canucks", but independently is a good logo.

The creativity behind the logo was sharp, but the orca is clearly the worst Canuck logo ever, hands down. For one, the orca, which is supposed to reflect Native Haida art doesn't even come close to doing that. The Seahawks original logo had a much better Native representation. Two, the orca was shoved down the throats of Canucks fans by the former ownership, Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment because Orca Bay wanted to promote their corporate brand, not the hockey club's brand. Originally, they wanted to change the name of the team to Orcas due to the success of the SJ Sharks and their merchandising success. Three, too many dark colours and hardly any contrast on the uniforms. Four, the Mark (Mess)ier era.

I'm probably the only one that likes this logo:

blue_jays-logo-1.gif

THe black jerseys were a mistake, but the graphite caps were cool with the white jerseys. I would have loved to see this logo applied more to that blue and graphite color scheme and used with a blue alt instead of black.

New York Mets & New York Jets

For years I thought I was the only one. I agree about the timing, but most importantly the aqua blue.

The 3 squigglies always reminded me of Aquafresh toothpaste.

Aquafresh_logo.png

They also make no sense considering the origin of the 4 stripes is to recognize the 4 straight Cups.

Without a doubt, this

890.gif

a different team, a different history, maybe on a better jersey, that's a great logo. It's the only one to actually depict an "islander", and did so pretty well. But, with a conservative-looking team with a very effective very beloved logo that won four consecutive cups, it just didn't fly, and the backlash has been so bad that nobody has tried to use it since. A real shame.

This X 1000

It's vastly superior to the traditional logo in every way (it, along with the Nordiques logo are among the two worst in pro sports history). I think perhaps the colour scheme and the jersey design itself played a large part in getting this thing ridiculed the way it was, but the logo itself is very well executed.

I agree... nice logo. Horrible uniforms, though.

I am glad to know that I am not the only person on this board that loves this logo.

+100, It was the right logo in the wrong time in Islander hockey.

I like that logo, too. Horrible uniform, though.

The three-squiggly art is a depiction of Long Island, which has a north and a south fork.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

Redskins logo...solid in design and NOT REALLY racist.

I don't think the Redskins logo is hated. Yes, it is solid in design. But I think most people in here prefer the spear logo for the Redskins. I know I do.

And I agree, the Redskins logo isn't racist. The name, on the other hand, is.

208.gif

Doesn't scream "Canucks", but independently is a good logo.

The creativity behind the logo was sharp, but the orca is clearly the worst Canuck logo ever, hands down. For one, the orca, which is supposed to reflect Native Haida art doesn't even come close to doing that. The Seahawks original logo had a much better Native representation. Two, the orca was shoved down the throats of Canucks fans by the former ownership, Orca Bay Sports & Entertainment because Orca Bay wanted to promote their corporate brand, not the hockey club's brand. Originally, they wanted to change the name of the team to Orcas due to the success of the SJ Sharks and their merchandising success. Three, too many dark colours and hardly any contrast on the uniforms. Four, the Mark (Mess)ier era.

I agree with you that this is one of the worst Canucks logos but the recoloured version looks fantastic.

I'm probably the only one that likes this logo:

blue_jays-logo-1.gif

THe black jerseys were a mistake, but the graphite caps were cool with the white jerseys. I would have loved to see this logo applied more to that blue and graphite color scheme and used with a blue alt instead of black.

Seems to me that most people hated the lack of blue rather than the actual logo. I've got a light blue hat with the J-Bird logo that would have looked great with the home jersey.

93607917_display_image.jpg?1307918921

^These uniforms are very underrated. When these uniforms are in the sun or on a bright day, the brown pants really accent the orange helmets and the jersey.

P.S. Everyone hated the bland look. I loved it, because I thought it was so different and unique.

So "unfairly hated" means "logos I like that most other people don't". There's nothing "unfair" about a lot of people hating a logo for objective reasons.

Kind of like "unpopular opinions".

First thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

The second I saw this thread, I was immediately going to put up the Robo-pen logo. Since Ark already handled that, I think I'll defend Tampa Bay.

(Lightning Logo)

Give this logo some depth, add black & silver, and this logo is top 10 in the NHL easily. I don't see the love over the the previous Lightning era. Sure the colors were great, but they were poorly executed (especially the Rbk Edge era but then again, most Edge era uniforms were poor). I think that with an update of this logo(mentioned above) and some creativity in the uniforms along with it, the Lightning will have their best look within their short history.

That's the thing though. With said fixes, it would be a great logo. However, as it stands now, it's a crappy, uninspired clipart logo, and thus deserving of the hate.

Same thing I was going to say.

As it is, it's just plain awful. If it had depth, maybe I wouldn't hate it so damn much.

2ly2w09.jpg

Archived