Renaming the Big East

Waffles

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From BloombergBusinessweek:

The Big East is taking steps to ?tweak? its name now that it includes schools from California, Idaho, Texas, Tennessee and Florida, according to Joe Bailey, the conference?s former interim commissioner.

The Big East has commissioned a study to consider alternative names, Bailey said today at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit hosted by Bloomberg Link in New York. He wouldn?t say when the names would be presented to conference presidents for their consideration.

The Big Travel Nightmare?

They need to leave their name the same and not invite teams from across the country. I find it crazy that San Diego State and Boise State are going to be in the conference. I have a feeling that Boise will do a TCU and back out of the deal and go to a bigger conference. But the funny thing about the name change for me is that in the last two conferences that Louisville has been apart of, those conferences changed or may change their name. Metro Conference to C-USA and now the Big East to WE NEED TEAMS.

And who would that be? I don't think the PAC12 is interested.

I was thinking the BIG 12? I would think that at some point they would like to get back to 12 teams and Boise seems like a logical fit, well at least more logical than the Big East.

You can't assign logic to this. TCU to the Big 12 is about the only logical conference moved that has happened in the latest realignment.

True. But one could argue that the Texas A&M move was fairly logical...at least from the SEC standpoint.

Oh, and Temple moving back into the Big East made sense (although it is Temple we're talking about).

gYH2mW9.png

Just leave it as the Big East... who cares if it's not accurate. Inaccuracy doesn't seem to affect the Big 10 or Big 12.

Just like the East Coast Hockey League.

That's not the name anymore and hasn't been since the West Coast Hockey League buyout. The official name is the "ECHL".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Holy Roman Empire

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

How about the Metro Conference? Many of the teams are in the cities (Louisville, San Diego, Houston, Dallas, Tampa and others).

Because that was a basketball league.

Today, we are all otaku.

They aren't interested now, but when the superconferences start forming and the PAC has to expand, they won't have many good options to get to 16.

I think they could very well end up with the Oklahoma schools and Texas in that scenario (which has been rumored for a while now), but then who else is left that makes any sense at all geographically? Hawai'i? Fresno State? San Diego State? Not a lot of great options there. At least Boise is a relevant top-flight program with BCS bowl wins to their name who can draw in ratings, even if the academics are lacking.

As for the Big Least's new name - how about the Blue Turf Conference? :P

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

They aren't interested now, but when the superconferences start forming and the PAC has to expand, they won't have many good options to get to 16.

I think they could very well end up with the Oklahoma schools and Texas in that scenario (which has been rumored for a while now), but then who else is left that makes any sense at all geographically? Hawai'i? Fresno State? San Diego State? Not a lot of great options there. At least Boise is a relevant top-flight program with BCS bowl wins to their name who can draw in ratings, even if the academics are lacking.

Not to disrespect Boise State, but Boise mostly played in a weak conference in the WAC and now the Mountain West. Boise has the opportunity to prove that they're a top program by playing UL in the BE in 2013.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Not to disrespect Boise State, but Boise mostly played in a weak conference in the WAC and now the Mountain West. Boise has the opportunity to prove that they're a top program by playing UL in the BE in 2013.

But they haven't proven that by beating Georgia or Virginia Tech?

But they haven't proven that by beating Georgia or Virginia Tech?

Or Oklahoma, or Oregon (twice), or TCU, for that matter? I mean, Louisville is pretty far down the totem pole, realistically.

Oh yeah! I was just trying to think of their last 2 opening season games.

I meant that Boise plays in a real conference.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

The Big 12 has had plenty of chances to grab the Broncos, and yet they haven't. What does that tell you?

That they're still mourning the losses of the Tigers, Aggies, Buffs and Huskers?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived