New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

The Padres didn't even revert to their past. They just further stripped down their 2004 redesign down to navy blue and varsity block.

The varsity block was from the city's past. It came from the PCL days.

Back to the Astros, their site is now diverting to a single page, showing a video of their uniform history. Relaunches tonight.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Padres didn't even revert to their past. They just further stripped down their 2004 redesign down to navy blue and varsity block.

The varsity block was from the city's past. It came from the PCL days.

Back to the Astros, their site is now diverting to a single page, showing a video of their uniform history. Relaunches tonight.

Glad they shut down the main pages. Too busy probably preparing them to leak everything 10 minutes before the launch.

A. I went to look for Astros logos on the mothership so I clicked on the National League logos section, didn't see the Astros and now I'm sad.

B. I wish they'd take this logo

220px-Houston_Astros_logo.gif

and put good ol Enron Field in there.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Someone here did that in the Concepts folder but I can't find it anywhere. I was really impressed with it and wanted to steal the general idea, but couldn't find it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I could go for the orbiting baseballs, but the Astrodome made sense in the logo because of 1) its uniqueness, and 2) its resemblance to a flying saucer. MMP has a distinctive shape, but not that distinctive. And since there is nothing space-like about it, it would be meaningless in the context of the logo.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Everything I've seen so far leads me to believe that the Astros' new set will be more than fine.

When a team rebrands from the past, you guys complain that they aren't doing anything new or innovative. When a team tries something new and innovative, you bitch that they didn't go traditional.

Seriously, I'm glad more execs don't read these boards. They'd go crazy trying to figure out whatever it is you guys really want. You're all like the worst girlfriends ever when it comes to this stuff.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I don't think that's totally fair. A sports league should be a continuum of modern and classic designs. A team that's been around since the 19th century should look the part. An expansion team in a smallish town should creatively distinguish itself. The Marlins fell short in execution but had their heart in the right place for what and where they are. The Padres had an interesting history of uniforms (and don't tell me navy blue varsity block is a tribute to the PCL, oh, gargle me) and a perfectly acceptable modern design, but went to a muddled "classic" set that didn't work for them. The Astros are going to go back to their original color scheme and general aesthetic, but perhaps not be as creative as they're allowed to be with their name and standing in the league. That's an acceptable criticism, I feel. I know people bitch about everything here, but as long as they can do so constructively, that's preferable to just rubber-stamping everything that comes out because they're the pros and we're not.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've said it before and I'll say it again: all the Houston Astros had to do was resurrect the 1965-70 "shooting star" uniforms, or bring back the 1989-93 "rainbow shoulder" uniforms. Period. If they'd opted to go with the 1965-70 unis, maybe - maybe - they could have elected to render "HOUSTON" on the road jerseys in the same font as was used for "ASTROS" on the home jerseys.

That's it. Perfection.

Archived