2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always despised that thick piping, and the Braves are not the only team that use it.

Yes, they are. Teams like the Brewers have borrowed elements of it, but nobody in the majors uses it the way the Braves do.

Actually , the Brewers used the thick piping in the set they had before their current unis and I hated it then. I thought Tampa used it now but after further inspection, they appear to use the thinner variety piping.

That was almost 15 years ago.

I didn't realize you were talking about thicker piping in general - I thought you meant color/color/color piping. A couple teams like the Angels and Giants use on cuffs and at the neck, and the Brewers use it on their cuffs only. The Braves are the only ones who use it on heir placket and cuffs.

Here's a comparison:

PiratesAltComparison_zpscd177f8b.png

The white outline isn't bad, but fails in comparison to the straight gold on black. The gold does look much bolder when there's no white around it, which seems to dull it a bit.

That is a perfect example of why the white outline is not only extraneous, but impairs the design. The letters are just so much more legible without it.

Whatever became of the talk of a new Pirates logo? Is that still slated to happen?

I think the assumpotion was they will ditch the Pirate mascot logo and go with a Nationals, A's, Rangers, Padres stye roundel. Their classic P with Pittsburgh Pirates written around it.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I think the assumpotion was they will ditch the Pirate mascot logo and go with a Nationals, A's, Rangers, Padres stye roundel. Their classic P with Pittsburgh Pirates written around it.

Like this one?wghqrev2xvmfd75hf5zhttf2f.gif

That is pretty bland, but it is better than the string of cartoon pirate logos they have used.

Like this one?wghqrev2xvmfd75hf5zhttf2f.gif

That is pretty bland, but it is better than the string of cartoon pirate logos they have used.

I fully expect this to be their new primary next season. Because there just aren't enough roundels in baseball.

Still prefer this pirate

7xkp9hnp9jq11e1zia4tdcqjh.gif

maybe it's because he's Clooney-esque :blush:

Actually, it looks like Kramer. If the Pirates are going with a roundrel, that sucks. I think having a pirate logo is good for their identity. And it's not like it would displace the P on caps. It would be dumb not to have one.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The best Pirates uniforms were the ones used from the "Bonds" era. The 1987-1996 look was perfect.

barry-bonds-pirates.jpg

51537163_display_image.jpg?1311307542

Even their 1998-99 Gray road caps were ok. (They stopped wearing the gray caps on the road in early 99 and wore black instead)

4597873970_a41485fe42_z.jpg

I love that road script, wish they would go back to that and wear this as an alt

mIl_Irm1QOJVNLe6ndpRVTg.jpg

and I hope that they bring back the vests

santiago_display_image.jpg?1277490643

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

The best Pirates uniforms were the ones used from the "Bonds" era. The 1987-1996 look was perfect.

barry-bonds-pirates.jpg

51537163_display_image.jpg?1311307542

Even their 1998-99 Gray road caps were ok. (They stopped wearing the gray caps on the road in early 99 and wore black instead)

4597873970_a41485fe42_z.jpg

I love that road script, wish they would go back to that and wear this as an alt

mIl_Irm1QOJVNLe6ndpRVTg.jpg

and I hope that they bring back the vests

santiago_display_image.jpg?1277490643

who is that skinny guy in Barry bonds uniform?

I love the Dodgers look as it's classic/timeless. However, the road uniform really gets on my nerves without any white (especially because there's white on the cap). IMO, they need to just go to something like this:

DodgersUpdate_zpsd71a275b.png

Thoughts?

I wouldn't have minded if they'd just stuck with these:

adrian-beltre.jpg

lg_beltre_all-01.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I love the Dodgers look as it's classic/timeless. However, the road uniform really gets on my nerves without any white (especially because there's white on the cap). IMO, they need to just go to something like this:

Thoughts?

adrian-beltre.jpg

lg_beltre_all-01.jpg

The white hat logo doesn't bother me with their road uniforms, but the white hat logo on the Braves hat has always bothered me when they're wearing the grey uniforms.

I wouldn't mind the Pirates wearing the old script on the road again, just avoid pinstripes. I'm not a fan of Pittsburgh in pinstripes.

Ideal set, in my opinion, would be:

Home:

capt_0db7f745b6e84ff2a721b2804bd403b3_di

Road:

fantasy_u_laroche_300.jpg

Alt:

Current black jersey with old "Pittsburgh" script and no white trim.

Caps: Current black cap and a yellow version with black brim.

I also believe that the Pirates should be the one team that wears vests, if any team does.

I, personally, don't mind their primary logo, but they really should match up the wordmarks. I can't stand the one in the primary logo.

I also can't say I'd be mad if they stuck the Pirate head in a roundel, but I'd much prefer they get something new. Waving flag with a "P" would be simple, and do the trick.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I loved the Pirates' vest uniforms originally, but it was time to retire them. Around 2004 or 2005, Majestic messed up the vests. Instead of actual vests, with shorter shoulders, they just took the sleeves off regular jerseys. Look how sloppy the shoulders look above. This is how vests used to, and should look over the shoulders:

Roberto%2520Clemente%25203.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Thoughts?

adrian-beltre.jpg

lg_beltre_all-01.jpg

There was a discussion about white outlines earlier this year, so that might be of interest to you if you missed it the first time around.

I'm fine with the Dodgers current road look with no outlines. That being said, I might be persuaded to agree with their having a white outline, but the examples you posted go way too far with it. The white is overkill in those photos.

Archived