2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

I love watching John Axford pitch for the Cardinals with his high socks and mustache, (would love it even more if the hat was blue, but that's another story).Anyway, it just reminds me of that classic image of the early 20th century baseball player.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love watching John Axford pitch for the Cardinals with his high socks and mustache, (would love it even more if the hat was blue, but that's another story).Anyway, it just reminds me of that classic image of the early 20th century baseball player.

Just wait until he starts blowing games.....

47 brand has the postseason hats. Dodgers just clinched

Did they always do that? Havent been paying attention to playoff hats past few years

But are the 47 caps official? That's the question.

Yes, they're the locker room authentics. They have been for a few years, some as Twins Enterprises.

The Cardinals retired 42 for Bruce Sutter a few years back. I don't think the MLB mandate can keep teams from honoring their own history. There are only a few cases anyway, and unless Mo Vaughn... never mind.

Different teams treat it differently. The Cubs, for example, don't display it with their retired numbers, but on a roof flag with championship and milestone flags.

They retired the number twice. As cheese noted, it's not the first time.

Besides, their Jackie Robinson treatment isn't the same as all the others.

(pic went here)

They've replaced the Dodger blue 42 with a pinstriped one for Rivera, and put up a gold 42 plaque for Robinson:

mlbf_30849309_th_43.jpg

mariano-rivera-retirement-ceremony.jpg

I've always thought it was very neat how Rivera was the last to wear #42, and how well he represented the number and how well he and the Robinson family coalesced about it. Pretty amazing.

--

In regards to this thread, crazy circumstances beget the rare same-colored jerseys today in Texas. Both the Angels and Rangers wearing red. I haven't paid too much attention to the Rangers aesthetics this year, but I'm guessing they've kind of made it so that the red jerseys are home alts, and the blue jerseys are road alts? Because, otherwise, wearing white or blue makes more sense than matching the Angels in red.

spacer.png

Whats weird to me about the Rivera retirement is that the plaque says "retired throughout baseball 1997" that makes it sound like the number was retired for Rivera in 1997. It should say something like "Retired for Jackie Robinson 1997. Retired 2013 for Mariano Rivera."

EDIT: You can kind of make out the plaque here:
Giants1.jpg

EDIT 2: Even better

img_1831.jpg

Anubis.png

Archived