2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

Cincinnati also has green seats at Paul Brown.

The Bucs have the best helmet in football, and any talk of change worries me.

I think their current set is a close to perfect mix of modern and traditional, "new" Bucs and "old" Bucs.

Change for the sake of change never turns out well.

Couldnt have said it better myself Shoop.

I agree with this as well. They did "charger" it up without "chargering" it up. They kept orange in the current set by using it as the football on the helmet, trim on the stripes on the pants, and trim on the numbers. They didn't force a multitude of colors like the Chargers did with their update.

Their unis could use slight tweeks like maybe adding a red outline around the pirate ships/wordmark on the white jersey (getting rid of nike's toilet seat collar). Their set is beautiful. Best in the NFL IMO. Going toward the throwbacks (or mixing the colors in a new current design) wouldn't work as they've moved away from that identity and it's a treat to have a game like last weekend. The only other complaint I have (but will never change) is that they wear white way too much.

^ What he they said. (And yeah...they do wear both the white jerseys and pants way too much.)

Now let me explain something to y'all about how alternates are supposed to work: the allure of a successful alternate is that a/ it really is truly an alternate look from a team's usual primary look and b/ it is (here's the key) RARELY SEEN. Once that starts getting overexposed, it loses its luster, and people might just start pining for a previous look—see the Tennessee Titans for a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Soon as they unveiled that baby-blue alt, people started pining for it to become the primary. Well, they did it—and now look what's done happened...people are wanting the navy jerseys to become the primary again. (Let that also serve as a lesson to you folks in the Carolinas and especially out in San Diego.)

In Tampa's case, they now have two truly distinct looks, both of which were and are the most disctinctive in all of football. With the creamsicles, they had a truly unappreciated uniform from the past to draw from, one that many of you younger posters probably weren't even alive to see (and I'm still having to wrap my head around the fact that some of y'all high schoolers were born in 1996—I was just starting high school then). As for everyone else, they now see what Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, John Lynch, and Mike Alstott saw way back since at least 2002: how successful a creamsicle alternate would work. They just never could convince Old Man Glazer to pull the trigger on that back then—and bear in mind he HATED those uniforms, especially considering the past futility attached to them, so much so that one of the first things on his agenda once he bought the team was to change everything about its identity, henceforth, what we have now. Somehow or other he was finally convinced to greenlight the throwback alts for the Buccaneers' 35th anny three years ago...and now, here we are.

So all that said....I don't see the creamsicle look coming back as the primary, nor should it (and this is coming from someone who bleeds creamsicle orange). That age of Buccaneer history is long over...it's great that I—um, we—get to relive the old days once per year, but that's all it should be. What the Buccaneers have now, uniform wise, might well be a distinctive modern classic.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give you that the creamsicles are among the NFL's most distinctive, but the current ones just look like washed-out 49ers uniforms from a distance. I mean, I guess no one else uses pewter, but that's probably because it doesn't look terribly good. It's particularly too dreary for sunny Tampa.

The comedy of errors era associated with the creamsicles is over, but so too is the era of Cover-2 dominance and perennial contention, so why hang on to what they have? They've now been mediocre to bad in pewter and skull logos (nine and counting) longer than they were good (six). At this point, just look your best, which it turns out might just be the creamsicles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One word re: your third- and second-to-last sentences: EQUITY. (You lucky the Bears have only had one look in the Super Bowl era...otherwise I'd turn this entire discussion back around on you. :P )

It's interesting you brought up the 49ers, though. Many may not realize this, but both those seys came out at about the same time, and save two or three seasons of schizophrenia, were damn near facsimiles of each other, right down to the jersey numbers, Niners' dropshadow notwithstanding. (Off-topic, but the same can be said of the Jaguars, Eagles, and Ravens as well, since all thosr came out about the same time, as well.) As for the pewter and Florida sunshine, yeah Florida does get a lot of sunshine, and those bright creamsicles did look particularly great in that—but on the other side of that, the Tampa Bay area is also the lightning-strike [read: thunderstorm] capital of the world (well, after Rwanda, anyway)...and what one color is most typically associated with thunderstorms? Gray. (Now can soneone please forward that piece of intel to Steve Yzerman?) Additionally, what color is a cannonball most typically associated with? Gray. (If you doubt that, go play Super Mario 3 for an hour or two. B) ) And what one weapon is most closely associated with pirate ships? Cannons. I'm saying all this because this is the imagery from which they drew their current identity, and they've built up way too much stock in it to turn back now and retrograde their identity to capitalize on the nostalgia factor. Oh, and then there's this little nugget: as soon as the then-new stuff came out, team apparel sales INSTANTLY shot through the roof, and actually catapulted Buccaneers merch sales up into the top 5-10% of the league—and if memory serves me right, for a short spell Bucs merch was the single-highesy-selling NFL stuff. Shoot, a good many people became Buccaneer fans just off the new identity alone (and as we know well up un here, that ain't all that uncommon.

All of which is to say...what they have now makes too much sense. Sure, the visual identity could use a good tweak or three, bur what they shouldn't do is junk it and pretend it's 1976 all over again...my opinion, that'd be a huge mistake.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

First of all, I will never stop anyone from taking shots at the Chicago Bears.

I get your argument that they've built up a lot of stock in the new stuff, and that the stadium has the cannons and pirate ships to tie in, but man, it's just so clear now which set is better. Like you said with the Chargers, that's the risk you run when you straddle the past and the present like this (the Brewers are the worst offender). As for the sunshine versus thunderstorms and all that, I have to ask: are Buccaneers games generally sunny afternoon affairs or stormy and grey? I don't catch many at all, but what highlights I do see tend to be pretty bright, where the creamsicles look best.

While the fundamentals of the uniform could conceivably go on for a long time, I think the logos are really starting to show their age. It's a certain sort of cartoonishness that lacks the gravity we expect from the NFL. The Ravens are another one like that, where they could really benefit from making the Maryland shield the primary and dropping the bird head, but especially those cartoonish numbers. But rather than update the logos for a pretty good color scheme, why not update the logos for a really good color scheme?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

While the fundamentals of the uniform could conceivably go on for a long time, I think the logos are really starting to show their age. It's a certain sort of cartoonishness that lacks the gravity we expect from the NFL. The Ravens are another one like that, where they could really benefit from making the Maryland shield the primary and dropping the bird head, but especially those cartoonish numbers. But rather than update the logos for a pretty good color scheme, why not update the logos for a really good color scheme?

On this snippet here, I agree with you, particularly that bolded part —that's actually what I was getting at when I said they could use a tweak or three (and I've gone on record as saying that before). I don't, however think a wholesale ovethaul is necessary, though.

Here's where I'm torn, though: the creamsicle aficionado in me (again, check the avatar) is enamored with the thought of an updated creamsicle-colored identity (everyone please re-read what I just wrote VERY CLOSELY)...but then, that would come ay the expense of the red and pewter, a great look in its own right. And see, this is where the whole Throwback Sunday thing succeeds—it allows the nostaljacks like myself to re-live the creamsicle age once or twice a season while maintaining continuity under their current color scheme.

One word re: your third- and second-to-last sentences: EQUITY. (You lucky the Bears have only had one look in the Super Bowl era...otherwise I'd turn this entire discussion back around on you. :P )

It's interesting you brought up the 49ers, though. Many may not realize this, but both those seys came out at about the same time, and save two or three seasons of schizophrenia, were damn near facsimiles of each other, right down to the jersey numbers, Niners' dropshadow notwithstanding. (Off-topic, but the same can be said of the Jaguars, Eagles, and Ravens as well, since all thosr came out about the same time, as well.) As for the pewter and Florida sunshine, yeah Florida does get a lot of sunshine, and those bright creamsicles did look particularly great in that—but on the other side of that, the Tampa Bay area is also the lightning-strike [read: thunderstorm] capital of the world (well, after Rwanda, anyway)...and what one color is most typically associated with thunderstorms? Gray. (Now can soneone please forward that piece of intel to Steve Yzerman?) Additionally, what color is a cannonball most typically associated with? Gray. (If you doubt that, go play Super Mario 3 for an hour or two. B) ) And what one weapon is most closely associated with pirate ships? Cannons. I'm saying all this because this is the imagery from which they drew their current identity, and they've built up way too much stock in it to turn back now and retrograde their identity to capitalize on the nostalgia factor. Oh, and then there's this little nugget: as soon as the then-new stuff came out, team apparel sales INSTANTLY shot through the roof, and actually catapulted Buccaneers merch sales up into the top 5-10% of the league—and if memory serves me right, for a short spell Bucs merch was the single-highesy-selling NFL stuff. Shoot, a good many people became Buccaneer fans just off the new identity alone (and as we know well up un here, that ain't all that uncommon.

All of which is to say...what they have now makes too much sense. Sure, the visual identity could use a good tweak or three, bur what they shouldn't do is junk it and pretend it's 1976 all over again...my opinion, that'd be a huge mistake.

to me the bucs creamsicle are the nfl equivalent of the padres taco bell era....great for selling merchandise and nostalgia but not a strong enough identity to last through a whole season or decade for that matter before the look becomes stale...I think the O's are another great example...the cartoon bird is fun and nostalgic but it's already a tired look and nowhere near as good as the classic bird.

I guess it can be best summed up that 70's-80's era uniforms are best left to being worn on field in very small doses and merchandise.

While the fundamentals of the uniform could conceivably go on for a long time, I think the logos are really starting to show their age. It's a certain sort of cartoonishness that lacks the gravity we expect from the NFL.

Wait. Are you saying that the Bucs current logos are showing their age, or the throwbacks? The flag logo, in my opinion, is absolutely perfect. What could possibly be wrong with it? It's slick, it can stand alone, it works on tv graphics and merchandise, and it flows perfectly on the helmet.

SigReflect.png

Only at this place, would so many people actually be "pining" for a full-time return of the 1970's era Creamsicles with the, uhh, swishy pirate logo.

Those things look decent for one game a year. A quick look-back at the dark days of a terrible franchise, which used to the laughing stock (some of which had to do with their colors and uniforms) of the NFL.

There are a bunch of teams that NEED to change their uniforms. The Titans being at the very top of that list. The Bucs? Are you kidding me? The only tweak that needs to be made is to darken up the red on the pant stripe. It looks a bit "pinkish" on TV. And I think their very underrated look of red jersey's with white pants, should be brought out for a couple of home games a year. But don't screw with the uniforms. They actually have them right.

Wasn't there an issue with Nike replicating the Reebok pewter or something to that effect? Could the change be related to a color tweak and not a full redesign?

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

On this snippet here, I agree with you, particularly that bolded part —that's actually what I was getting at when I said they could use a tweak or three (and I've gone on record as saying that before). I don't, however think a wholesale ovethaul is necessary, though.

Here's where I'm torn, though: the creamsicle aficionado in me (again, check the avatar) is enamored with the thought of an updated creamsicle-colored identity (everyone please re-read what I just wrote VERY CLOSELY)...but then, that would come ay the expense of the red and pewter, a great look in its own right. And see, this is where the whole Throwback Sunday thing succeeds—it allows the nostaljacks like myself to re-live the creamsicle age once or twice a season while maintaining continuity under their current color scheme.

I wish they'd all go back to the 80s looks w/ modern logo tweaks(like the Orioles and Jays). Make the pirate tougher looking. I think I just heard Brent Musburger say, "you are looking live at...."

The Bucs, IMO, are as close to perfect as possible. I personally like the white pants (don't know why but I feel there's a lot of uniforms out there that look good with them), but I wouldn't shed a tear if they ditched them because the pewter ones are just that good. As their look is now, it's simply the colors and logos that make it what it is. That's why they were able to go with the traditional pant stripe and simple black trim on the jerseys and it came out looking awesome. I was never big on the creamsicle look, but it kind of makes the perfect alternate as Buc mentioned. Maybe they're just adding an updated Bruce to the logo guide for merchandising purposes. Or, even though I like the ship logo on the sleeves, maybe put him there. But overall, the entire uniform has become a modern classic. Traditional yet contemporary. A perfect product that works in every since with the name and sport. No need to mess with a good thing. So few get it right in only their second (true) change. They did.

The Bucs, IMO, are as close to perfect as possible. I personally like the white pants (don't know why but I feel there's a lot of uniforms out there that look good with them), but I wouldn't shed a tear if they ditched them because the pewter ones are just that good. As their look is now, it's simply the colors and logos that make it what it is. That's why they were able to go with the traditional pant stripe and simple black trim on the jerseys and it came out looking awesome. I was never big on the creamsicle look, but it kind of makes the perfect alternate as Buc mentioned. Maybe they're just adding an updated Bruce to the logo guide for merchandising purposes. Or, even though I like the ship logo on the sleeves, maybe put him there. But overall, the entire uniform has become a modern classic. Traditional yet contemporary. A perfect product that works in every since with the name and sport. No need to mess with a good thing. So few get it right in only their second (true) change. They did.

I think the current set works in spite of the logos. It works because the colors are good and distinctive. IMO, the logos are all bad and kinda dated.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think the current set works in spite of the logos. It works because the colors are foot and distinctive. IMO, the logos are all bad and kinda dated.

Heh, disagree about the logos. I think they're great. Especially the flag logo on the helmet. If they replaced the ship logo on the sleeve with an updated Bruce, that would be cool. But that flag logo makes a much better helmet logo than Bruce did. The forward motion and design looks awesome against the unique pewter shell.

The potential Buccaneers changes absolutely horrify me as a fan. Their logo and color scheme is the best in the NFL IMO. It's actually part of the reason I love the team so much and have since I was a little kid. I'm gonna be crushed if they change to the old colors and logo. If they put out some terrible mishmash of eras that's a mix of pewter and Florida orange, I may even have to jump shop entirely (no pun intended).

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

Bucs are in the same category with the Panthers. That is, zero changes are needed. Having their third uniform option be their classic Bucco Bruce instead of a cheesey black jersey is the icing on the cake. I hope neither team makes any significate changes.

Archived