2012-13 MLB Off-Season Thread

Remember when head coaches in our major professional leagues had to serve meaningful apprenticeships as assistants and/or in the minors? Ten years ago, you'd be a laughingstock if your big offseason coaching hire were a local high school coach. Now he's coming in with more experience than Mike Matheny or Vinny Del Negro.

Well Robin Ventura did a good job with the White Sox, sand I thought it was a terrible hire so you never know.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Dodgers are throwing around more insane money. $25M in posting fees for a Korean pitcher that most people aren't sold on making the transition smoothly.

Allow me to be the millionth person on the internet to say that the Dodgers are Gangnam Style.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Seeing as how the Nationals turned out to be a pretty damn good team -- How hard is Jim Riggleman kicking himself right now?

He only quit because he knew he was gone at the end of the season. He wanted to talk about an extension, but the team changed its mind and said, "Ehh, we'll talk after the season." Realistically, he was only dumb for forfeiting the 2-3 months of salary he did. He didn't set the world on fire managing the Cubs, and the fact that it took him ten years afterwards to get another job shows that he is not highly thought of and will probably never manage in the bigs again.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Dodgers are throwing around more insane money. $25M in posting fees for a Korean pitcher that most people aren't sold on making the transition smoothly.

Allow me to be the millionth person on the internet to say that the Dodgers are Gangnam Style.

As a Rangers fan, I'm really glad the Yu Darvish posting was last offseason and not this one. God only knows how much the Dodgers would have sent Nippon Ham.

Bryce Harper wins National League Rookie of the Year.

Harper got 16 of 32 first-place votes and 112 points from the NL panel. Arizona pitcher Wade Miley was second with 12 first-place votes and 105 points, followed by Cincinnati slugger Todd Frazier with three firsts and 45 points.

Both managers did an outstanding job with the (lack of) talent they were given. But becuase Showalter's squad plays on the east coast, I predict he will get the nod over Melvin.

Why I think Bryce Harper won the ROY over Wade Miley.

Both managers did an outstanding job with the (lack of) talent they were given. But becuase Showalter's squad plays on the east coast, I predict he will get the nod over Melvin.

Why I think Bryce Harper won the ROY over Wade Miley.

Who's Wade Miley.

Both managers did an outstanding job with the

(lack of) talent they were given. But becuase Showalter's squad plays on the east coast, I predict he will get the nod over Melvin.

Why I think Bryce Harper won the ROY over

Wade Miley.

Who's Wade Miley.

Pitcher for the Diamondbacks

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Actually the Cardinals website already said yesterday or Sunday in an article about Matheny that Davey Johnson won the NL Manager of the Year. Don't think they were supposed to say anything.

As for the AL, I'll stay in the Beltway and go with Showalter.

Davey already won the Sporting News Manager of the Year Award, which is different from the "official" BBWAA Manager of the Year award. Maybe the article was referring to that?

Archived