SI Greatest 100 Sports Photos of All Time list

Ark

I'd love to know what this list is based on; historical significance of the events involved? Quality of the photograph as a whole? Because it doesn't seem to be either. There are some pictures in the top 25 that I'm not even familiar with historically, and they're not great photos either.

This is one of those things that's almost pure opinion, so I have hard time engaging in any type of debate over something like this.

The one with Jacques Plante is my own personal favorite. I think it perfectly captures what original 6 hockey was like. Nobody is wearing a helmet, there are no ads on the boards, the ice looks terrible, there's very few women in the crowd and the vast majority of the fans are in suit and tie with hats. You will never see any of those things happen again and its all captured in brilliant color.

It doesn't help that the Michael Jordan dagger vs. the Jazz is #1. :mad: While I would even agree that it's easily top 10 material, it doesn't quite seem like #1 IMO. Bobby Orr at #80? Ali/Liston at #93? "Miracle on Ice" at 78?!? Dwight Clark at #97?!?!

If it's any consolation, Gordon Hayward's buzzer-beater attempt at the Butler/Duke NCAA Championship is #17 FWIW. :alien:

This article lost it's credibility when Bobby Orr's leap was put at #80.

That, and Ali standing over Liston at #93. It's one of the most recognizable images in history.

Maybe the most recognizable image in sports history. And yeah the picture with Provan and Summers should certainly be there, but the list is clearly made to appeal to a younger American audience. I personally would have just had the 100 greatest sports images and not ranked them at all, but I wasn't consulted and I'm just looking at is as a collection of great images and not much else.

This article lost it's credibility when Bobby Orr's leap was put at #80.

That, and Ali standing over Liston at #93. It's one of the most recognizable images in history.

Maybe the most recognizable image in sports history. And yeah the picture with Provan and Summers should certainly be there, but the list is clearly made to appeal to a younger American audience. I personally would have just had the 100 greatest sports images and not ranked them at all, but I wasn't consulted and I'm just looking at is as a collection of great images and not much else.

Yeah, um, I have this book.

516WZEZ10BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There's a reason it's on the cover.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

The Tittle photo should certainly be on that list, but I personally hate that photo almost to the point where I wish it had never been taken and the reason for that is two fold. One because of how famous it became and the other is because of how great of a player Y.A. Tittle was. That's capturing him at the absolute lowest point of his career and unfortunately that's all most people know him for and I think that's an incredibly unfair legacy for him to have.

But there is another way of looking at it which is if not for that photo people wouldn't know who he is at all, so maybe it is better people know him primarily in a negative light then not at all. I really don't have an answer for that, but I really do think photos can make and break guys. Lynn Swann is not in the Hall of Fame without those highlight catches in Super Bowl ten and without that hit on Frank Gifford most football fans probably don't know who Chuck Bednarik is. Tittle I feel could be in many ways the flip side of that. His legacy now is the personification of the broken down veteran that stuck around too long, and again to have that as his legacy is incredibly unfair, but it is what it is at this point.

This list seems more about a compilation of Great Sports Moments That Happened to Have Neat Photos Taken than a collection of truly amazing pictures.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived