Giants add memorial to CT shooting victims on helmet. In Comic Sans?

Anubis2051

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd really rather they didn't add any decals. I'd rather they have a moment of silence or something along the lines of what SNL did last night,

The success of SNL has always been about the jokes they tell and how we the audience hears it. A moment of silence, eliminating that briefly works

Football is a visual sport and we all look for big plays and highlights. A memorial for the visual aspect works for me too. Decals and things like this is fine and very appropriate. Remember, TV broadcasts might not be able to show the moment of silence so the home audience won't be able to be a part of it

Go A's!

I'd really rather they didn't add any decals. I'd rather they have a moment of silence or something along the lines of what SNL did last night,

The success of SNL has always been about the jokes they tell and how we the audience hears it. A moment of silence, eliminating that briefly works

Football is a visual sport and we all look for big plays and highlights. A memorial for the visual aspect works for me too. Decals and things like this is fine and very appropriate. Remember, TV broadcasts might not be able to show the moment of silence so the home audience won't be able to be a part of it

They actually showed the moment of silence at the Bears-Packers game on TV. I think it's nice that the local teams are doing something visual as well and I like how the Giants decided to handwrite it.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

They actually showed the moment of silence at the Bears-Packers game on TV. I think it's nice that the local teams are doing something visual as well and I like how the Giants decided to handwrite it.

That's good. But not all games were able to do that, so the visual I think are very appropriate in this case

Go A's!

I think all of the tributes are fine. Hand written? Fine. Simple circle? Fine. Town seal/ribbon? Fine. I don't see oneupsmanship and I think they are all done with well meaning. I don't wish to nitpick it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Rex Ryans headset tomorrow night

154936_577056295654776_1177721264_n.jpg

And now we get to the jump-the-shark portion of the tributes. You see this ALL the time in sports, from 9-11 american flags to pink for breast cancer to camo jerseys for military (although the camo jerseys is a debatable one I know some people think it is fitting way to honor military in that way while other's dont).

The gestures start off dignified and meaningful, and then someone tries to make a gimmick out of it. Before you know it you have star-spankled shoes and gloves and a month-long overload of pink where the pink/women's merchandise sales REALLY seem to outweigh the awareness aspect.

Everything we've seen so far for this tragedy as far as simple patches and moments of silence have seemed appropriate and sincere. But Rex putting the school innitials on his headset reaks of gimmicky and now I feel it will be the first of many such things where players/staff/teams try to show how much THEY care more than the next guy.. when really - sincere intent or not - it comes off as a look-at-me promotion.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

And now we get to the jump-the-shark portion of the tributes. You see this ALL the time in sports, from 9-11 american flags to pink for breast cancer to camo jerseys for military (although the camo jerseys is a debatable one I know some people think it is fitting way to honor military in that way while other's dont).

The gestures start off dignified and meaningful, and then someone tries to make a gimmick out of it. Before you know it you have star-spankled shoes and gloves and a month-long overload of pink where the pink/women's merchandise sales REALLY seem to outweigh the awareness aspect.

Everything we've seen so far for this tragedy as far as simple patches and moments of silence have seemed appropriate and sincere. But Rex putting the school innitials on his headset reaks of gimmicky and now I feel it will be the first of many such things where players/staff/teams try to show how much THEY care more than the next guy.. when really - sincere intent or not - it comes off as a look-at-me promotion.

I am in total agreement...I also happen to think the gestures are lazy, tacky, and selfish. Much like the annual pink washing it's a self-congratulating gesture saying "look at us! we care" which is pretty damn obvious considering this was a national tragedy. Also given the 3 days of 24/7 nonstop coverage I don't think the nfl audience needs to be made aware of said event.

The perfect acknowledgement is a moment of silence and that's all. If people feel the need to do more they should take the time to find out whatever outreach/contribution opportunities are available.

I am in total agreement...I also happen to think the gestures are lazy, tacky, and selfish. Much like the annual pink washing it's a self-congratulating gesture saying "look at us! we care" which is pretty damn obvious considering this was a national tragedy. Also given the 3 days of 24/7 nonstop coverage I don't think the nfl audience needs to be made aware of said event.

The perfect acknowledgement is a moment of silence and that's all. If people feel the need to do more they should take the time to find out whatever outreach/contribution opportunities are available.

I understand it could mean a lot to the victims’ families and surviving victims to feel that people care about them. For example Victor Cruz had one child’s name on his shoes because I that child was a big fan of his. I’m sure that meant a lot to that child’s family. So in that respect, while I agree that most of the time the best gestures would be more anonymous, in certain cases it is beneficial to publically showing you care.

Having said that, you have to keep it dignified. The specifics of the awareness itself shouldn’t outweigh what you are creating awareness of. Is October breast cancer awareness month, or is it pink armband and sneakers month?

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Archived