Giants add memorial to CT shooting victims on helmet. In Comic Sans?

Anubis2051

Because its not something that fits your personal tastes does not mean its a meaningless gesture. Cynicism is something there is already too much of. These guys are doing it for nothing more than a memorial to innocent children and adults who were killed in this tragedy. If you don't like seeing these written tributes, then ignore them or don't watch. But don't act like you see some deeper, selfish meaning in them and that they shouldn't be done in respect to your personal opinions.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because its not something that fits your personal tastes does not mean its a meaningless gesture. Cynicism is something there is already too much of. These guys are doing it for nothing more than a memorial to innocent children and adults who were killed in this tragedy. If you don't like seeing these written tributes, then ignore them or don't watch. But don't act like you see some deeper, selfish meaning in them and that they shouldn't be done in respect to your personal opinions.

Not sure who you're addressing here but if it me- ice said I think everything that's been done so far has been perfectly dignified and fitting.. But I just said Rex Ryan's headgear is boardering on losing touch with the real meaning behind the gesture and is approaching gimmicky.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I agree.

That the cause is worthy does not automatically make all the tributes worthy of the cause.

At some point they become more about self-aggrandizement. I'm not sure I can agree that we're there yet, but I respect my fellow posters' ability to judge for themselves.

I like the Giants' solution better.

Pick one, Kraft - either the seal or the ribbon would be perfect. Together they're ugly.

Your were just complaining about the Giants solution...

And I don't think the Pats picked that particular ribbon/seal combo. That's become the default for this tragedy. I like it, makes it stand out from all the other multitude of other ribbons out there.

TOTALLY not sports related, but the television show "The Voice" actually did one of the better tributes I've seen.

I'm posting this merely as proof that you can have a "corporate" style tribute without it being tacky or insensitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1JvtStvoYw

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Rex Ryans headset tomorrow night

154936_577056295654776_1177721264_n.jpg

And now we get to the jump-the-shark portion of the tributes. You see this ALL the time in sports, from 9-11 american flags to pink for breast cancer to camo jerseys for military (although the camo jerseys is a debatable one I know some people think it is fitting way to honor military in that way while other's dont).

The gestures start off dignified and meaningful, and then someone tries to make a gimmick out of it. Before you know it you have star-spankled shoes and gloves and a month-long overload of pink where the pink/women's merchandise sales REALLY seem to outweigh the awareness aspect.

Everything we've seen so far for this tragedy as far as simple patches and moments of silence have seemed appropriate and sincere. But Rex putting the school innitials on his headset reaks of gimmicky and now I feel it will be the first of many such things where players/staff/teams try to show how much THEY care more than the next guy.. when really - sincere intent or not - it comes off as a look-at-me promotion.

I am in total agreement...I also happen to think the gestures are lazy, tacky, and selfish. Much like the annual pink washing it's a self-congratulating gesture saying "look at us! we care" which is pretty damn obvious considering this was a national tragedy. Also given the 3 days of 24/7 nonstop coverage I don't think the nfl audience needs to be made aware of said event.

The perfect acknowledgement is a moment of silence and that's all. If people feel the need to do more they should take the time to find out whatever outreach/contribution opportunities are available.

I understand it could mean a lot to the victims’ families and surviving victims to feel that people care about them. For example Victor Cruz had one child’s name on his shoes because I that child was a big fan of his. I’m sure that meant a lot to that child’s family. So in that respect, while I agree that most of the time the best gestures would be more anonymous, in certain cases it is beneficial to publically showing you care.

Having said that, you have to keep it dignified. The specifics of the awareness itself shouldn’t outweigh what you are creating awareness of. Is October breast cancer awareness month, or is it pink armband and sneakers month?

Honestly, I think that Providence hoops had the best memorial, leaving 26 seats empty.

704127678.jpg?w=600&h=600

Why do I think that's the best? Because A. it's very symbolic and B. They could have sold those seats to profit. They elected not to, in honor of the victims. That speaks more to me than a decal.

That said, now that I realize that the Giants memorial was handwritten, I actually like it a lot more. In fact I love it. It's such a nice little touch to do it hand written - someone took the time out to do it individually instead of just running off 100 copies on a computer. It has more of an impact that way if you ask me.

Wait, the OP wrote a post in Comic Sans complaining about the use of Comic Sans?

It was meant to be ironic...

Anubis.png

enough of this already...this is becoming a memorial mockery as to what team comes up with the better tribute.

Newtown is the new pink.

Called it a page ago.. i KNEW this would happen and it pisses me off. Everyone tries to do one better or more original than anyone else. i'm NOT saying its not sincere.. I'm sure everyone cares just as much.. but the more outlandish and obvious the tributes get it just makes it look like the TRIBUTE itself the focus rather than the meaning OF the tribute.

Decala, black arm bands, moment of silence. Nice and simple. I know (for a fact by the way but I can't say exactly how right now) but I know that organiziation have marketing type meetings to discuss how they will do these tributes and what they can do different. Again -- they DO care... these are human beings that care about other human beings. But they just need to understand how a tribute is best served.

Honestly, I think that Providence hoops had the best memorial, leaving 26 seats empty.

704127678.jpg?w=600&h=600

Why do I think that's the best? Because A. it's very symbolic and B. They could have sold those seats to profit. They elected not to, in honor of the victims. That speaks more to me than a decal.

I noticed they didn't leave front row seats emply :-)

Archived