2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Homes are horrible. Aways are okay. Both are way worse than their original uniforms. I'll part a better review of these when I'm not in phone.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would literally take this clownsuit over the Lightning and Hurricanes uniforms.

Ales+Hemsky+Edmonton+Oilers+v+New+Jersey+Devils+xjlWenKPRHAl.jpg

Was that typical Edgefied garbage? Yes, absolutely it was... but at least it didn't look like a mashup of two far more established teams in the same league. There was clearly even less thought put into Carolina's new uniforms than into those Oilers :censored:piles - the 'Canes couldn't even bother to pick one generic striping pattern!

Well, let's not go that far...

I'm exaggerating, but still.... why is every team so scared to try something new? The way things are going, we'll have a league full of recolored Maple Wings and Red Leafs soon enough.

I think part of the problem isn't with the simple striping (generally, I'm usually in the "less is more" crowd) but with the colors teams are using, there are already successful teams (from a branding standpoint) using very similar color schemes. For example, if I were in charge of a royal blue/orange team and went with a traditional striping, I would immediately draw comparisons to the Oilers and Islanders. Red/white you have Canada/Red Wings/Blackhawks. Blue/white - Leafs. If the Lightning went black/blue or even black/white, there wouldn't have been as much outcry. Heck, if the Stars premier the exact same uniforms as the Canes tonight except in green/black/white, they'd get a better reception because you don't immediately draw those conclusions to other teams.

^ Concept 3 posts up would've been so much better. I don't hate the new ones, but they are terribly plain, compared to the old set that was- although in common colors- still unique. Also, no warning flag shoulder patch. Fail.

It seems as though they changed it just for sake of changing it. They had a top 10 set that could've used a little tweaking, but not this.

When was the last time you guys were actually happy after an unveiling? I'm trying to remember personally. I want to say Nashville's most recent rebranding (although the apron piping sucks). But before that even, maybe Boston's update.

sig.png

Simple old-school look. The road white reminds me of the 1976-77 Cleveland Barons.

Nit-picky Dislikes:

The home and road striping don't match in the least

Why no laces on the home whites?

With the stripes and laces not matching, perhaps the team that designed the reds should have called the team that did the whites to coordinate a little bit.

Solid red pants. Those need a stripe down the side to break up all the red, red, red. Black pants with the reds are long overdue.

The crest is a tad too high, crowding the laces. An inch or two down would have been better.

Hates:

I really loved the old, italicized name and number font. Going to miss that.

The damn logo is STILL upside down! We're looking at the BOTTOM of the puck and it still drives me crazy.

Hurricaneslogocomparison.jpg

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I am a prime candidate to consider this an upgrade. I did not like the Old Storm. I thought it was a bit overdone and I did not like the flags running around the waist.

The home jersey is terrible. In needs black in the striping pattern. And while the road jersey is better they lose points for the mismatch.

I actually think the striping pattern on the white jersey is an upgrade. They lost the flags and went simple but not "Lightning" simple. However, as someone pointed out a few pages ago, the smaller logo pushed way to the top makes it look cheap (Edmonton original Edge cheap). The loss of the (much superior) alt logo on the sleevs contributes to the cheap look. I prefer the number font and if they replicated the Northwestern striping pattern on the road to the home, and put the logo where it belongs, I would consider it an upgrade. But for now, it just looks cheap.

And they did not touch the thing that bothers me the most...that logo just stinks. The alternate logo was way better. Not only did they not replace the primary with the alt (which I was hoping for early), but the ditched the alt.

Better:

-Number font

-No flags

-Striping on road

Worse:

-No sleeve logos

-logo too tall

-mismatch

-Awful home striping

-Overall cheap edge look

-Dumping gray...there is plenty of red/black to go around.

Downgrade...missed the boat on the potential to upgrade in my opinion.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Upon second review.. that front crest looks a) Too small and B) Way too high up the jersey

Really not feeling this set at the moment

that was my initial reaction. maybe the interns heard "chest" and not crest :therock:

similar to others, i like the whites, but black stripes should be added...but then people will complain they are blackhawks and devils rip-offs. just too many red and black teams...

I would literally take this clownsuit over the Lightning and Hurricanes uniforms.

Was that typical Edgefied garbage? Yes, absolutely it was... but at least it didn't look like a mashup of two far more established teams in the same league. There was clearly even less thought put into Carolina's new uniforms than into those Oilers :censored:piles - the 'Canes couldn't even bother to pick one generic striping pattern!

I'm exaggerating, but still.... why is every team so scared to try something new? The way things are going, we'll have a league full of recolored Maple Wings and Red Leafs soon enough.

Read: RBK Edge. Granted, a lot of teams used the same template but it was new looks never seen before, universally panned. I think what we're seeing now is the overcompensating for such mistakes.

Don't care for the red one as it looks like a recolored Maple Leafs jersey. I do like road whites.

overall these aren't bad. I do wish they could have kept the storm flag pattern. I honestly like this set. Granted there is room for improvement but overall I'm not too disappointed in these set.

The real fun comes when you get a load of what the stars is unveiling. :lol:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I still cannot get over the two different home/road designs. Why? At least when the Senators, Wild, and Thrashers pulled that crap each uniform in the set was noticeably different in terms of aesthetics. These two uniforms might as well be the same. They both use a traditional striping pattern. They just don't use the same one. It's a pointless difference to make in the first place.

That is, of course, on top of the disappointment that comes with seeing yet another sunbelt team trying to look like an older, more traditional team. Let's just dress the Panthers up as the Rangers and the Predators up like the Bruins while we're at it.

The old set (whatever version of it, they're all upgrades over this garbage) really was perfect in that it balanced everything design-wise perfectly. They did their own thing with the hurricane warning flag stripe, but they didn't go overboard with it, and the uniform design in general was still very straightforward. It was new, it was unique, but it didn't get lost in the craziness of trying to be new and unique. Yeah, the numbers were very NASCAR-like, but given the team's location that was almost a plus.

I always sort of rated the Hurricanes' look as being in the upper level of the middle of the pack. Looking back? I really under-appreciated that old look. Sure the colours were a bit tired, but all in all it was the perfect look for the kind of team they were. This? This is just bad. Almost insulting.

Hate the new set. Don't mind the white road set all that much if they weren't so similar to the Nike Team Canada set, but the mismatched designs don't work for me, the new font in nice but pales in comparison to what they had and the negative space below the smaller logo looks huge and is completely unbalanced.

Huge downgrade.

patriotssignature.png

Read: RBK Edge. Granted, a lot of teams used the same template but it was new looks never seen before, universally panned. I think what we're seeing now is the overcompensating for such mistakes.

Hopefully the pendulum will start to swing back toward a middle-ground between over-simplified, bland designs and over-the-top/trying to hard to be modern designs.

Hopefully the pendulum will start to swing back toward a middle-ground between over-simplified, bland designs and over-the-top/trying to hard to be modern designs.

I'm not ready to say we're fully into the realm of blandness. Just two years ago the Jets came out with a uniform that, while traditionally styled, was not bland and managed to do its own thing. We still have the Stars to look forward to later today as well. Maybe, hopefully, the Lightning and Hurricanes will just be the teams that don't "get it" while everyone else manages just fine.

Archived