2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The Blue Jackets name is fully derived from the Civil War, and the name references the attire of Union soldiers.

While Confederate soldiers wore uniforms that consisted of various colours (depending on what year it was), guess what colour they are most synonymous with? Yep. Gray.

It's kinda like when the NE Patriots break out the alt/throwback red's. Sure, they may look good, but based on their name, and its origins, wearing red as the dominant colour is about the last thing they should be doing. Columbus has no need to emphasize gray beyond the extremely minimal role it plays right now.

spacer.png

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double blue fits the name, but it's about as overplayed as red, white, and blue currently.

EDIT- The 90s Capitals scheme might work for them, actually.

The '90s Capitals scheme would actually be perfect for the Capitals, seeing as how it's the colors of the presidential seal. The teal they used isn't blue enough to be the main color of the Blue Jackets, IMO.

I do think the '90s Cavs color scheme with blue emphasized over black could possibly work, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

IMHO, the next teams to change uniforms will have to go modern instead of classic.

After MIN, TB, CAR, DAL...

If everybody goes "classic", all the teams will be lookalikes.

I know this has been the consensus, but how many teams truly look like another? Tampa does look like Toronto, yes. You want to make the case with the Canes? I guess. You're making it sound like an epidemic.

OK- so if you guys had it your way, how would each team look?

Me:

Anaheim- Change the black to a dark green, make the duck mask logo the primary in updated colors. Webbed foot as shoulder patch.

Boston- Change nothing except add a hem stripe to the alt.

Buffalo- Remove piping, lighten the blue.

Calgary- Go back to either the pre-edge set or maybe add some black to the 80s set.

Carolina- Go back to two days ago.

Chicago- Change nothing.

Colorado- Pre-edge set.

Columbus- I'm really not sure. I think they need something new altogether.

Dallas- I'm content with the new unis, save for a few tweaks here and there.

Detroit- nothing.

Edmonton- never change again.

Florida- Back to the gorgeous pre-edge set.

Los Angeles- I don't mind their new unis, although a little purple would be nice. Remove piping.

Minnesota- Make the third your template for home and away. Add the bear head logo to the front.

Montreal- nothing.

Nashville- Navy alternate would be nice, but for now, just remove the piping.

New Jersey- nothing

NY Islanders- nothing, but for the love of god burn all the alternates ever produced. A well done orange third could be nice.

NY Rangers- nothing.

Ottawa- Go back to anything you wore before these cookie cutter pieces of crap.

Philadelphia- Could use some tweaks, but nice altogether.

Phoenix- I loved their original set, but I understand that most people didn't. Add a hem stripe to an otherwise solid set.

Pittsburgh- Who's in charge here? Pre-edge or modernize your 80's-90's unis. Come on now, your uniforms are gross.

St. Louis- Same as Pittsburgh. Pre-edge or modernize the 70's unis.

San Jose- Remove orange, replace with silver.

Tampa Bay- They need black.

Toronto- nothing.

Vancouver- remove workmark, atleast off the home.

Washington- Use a striping pattern based on your retro, make a blue alternate with the Weagle logo.

Winnipeg- They've sort of grown on me, but they need a little more red.

Anaheim- Colours are fine. I'd change up the hem striping to something less asymmetrical and disjointed.

Wait !! At present, Anaheim is the only team to use a "unique" / asymmetrical hem striping. If they follow your change, won't this be Original 6 dress-up??

IMHO, the next teams to change uniforms will have to go modern instead of classic.

After MIN, TB, CAR, DAL...

If everybody goes "classic", all the teams will be lookalikes.

I know this has been the consensus, but how many teams truly look like another? Tampa does look like Toronto, yes. You want to make the case with the Canes? I guess. You're making it sound like an epidemic.

Its more a matter of variety then a matter of same looks.

There's nothing wrong in watching something else then classic. Seen nice modern looks in the last decade: Ott, Pitt, Dallas, Colorado, LA are exemples. The current Kings is splendid.

If everybody looks "classic", it becomes less "classic".

Anaheim- Change the black to a dark green, make the duck mask logo the primary in updated colors. Webbed foot as shoulder patch.

Anaheim- Colours are fine. I'd change up the hem striping to something less asymmetrical and disjointed.

Wait !! At present, Anaheim is the only team to use a "unique" / asymmetrical hem striping. If they follow your change, won't this be Original 6 dress-up??

As a Ducks fan I'd be totally OK with them going for a traditional look - but preferably only as an alternate uniform. As far as the regular set is concerned I'm starting to think the diagonal hemstripes need to be done away with. In a way it's nice that they've established that as their own tradition, carrying that forward from the original Mighty Ducks jerseys, but they would look worlds better having diagonal striping on the sleeves and straight hemstripes like everyone else.

If they're gonna come up with a "classic" uniform somewhere down the line, something similar to this (again, preferably as a third) would be ideal:

Ducks-Third_zps8dc9ad95.png

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Columbus-Overhaul. Not too big on another red and blue team. Maybe they could try a blue and grey dominant colour scheme?

The Blue Jackets should not emphasize grey in any way what so ever.

Maybe, but they certainly don't need to be another red and blue team. I'd like to see them find an identity thats somewhat unique or at least interesting.

They have one.

There's currently two navy blue and red teams in the NHL, which is less than the number of red and black teams. It's not that tired of a color scheme. Additionally, the other team who wears navy blue and red wears red jerseys and blue pants. The CBJ have already have a look to themselves.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Me:

Boston- Change nothing except add a hem stripe to the alt.

Buffalo- Remove piping, lighten the blue.

Calgary- Go back to either the pre-edge set or maybe add some black to the 80s set.

Carolina- Go back to two days ago.

Chicago- Change nothing.

Colorado- Pre-edge set.

Columbus- I'm really not sure. I think they need something new altogether.

Dallas- I'm content with the new unis, save for a few tweaks here and there.

Detroit- nothing.

Edmonton- never change again.

Florida- Back to the gorgeous pre-edge set.

Los Angeles- I don't mind their new unis, although a little purple would be nice. Remove piping.

Minnesota- Make the third your template for home and away. Add the bear head logo to the front.

Montreal- nothing.

Nashville- Navy alternate would be nice, but for now, just remove the piping.

New Jersey- nothing

NY Islanders- nothing, but for the love of god burn all the alternates ever produced. A well done orange third could be nice.

NY Rangers- nothing.

Ottawa- Go back to anything you wore before these cookie cutter pieces of crap.

Philadelphia- Could use some tweaks, but nice altogether.

Phoenix- I loved their original set, but I understand that most people didn't. Add a hem stripe to an otherwise solid set.

Pittsburgh- Who's in charge here? Pre-edge or modernize your 80's-90's unis. Come on now, your uniforms are gross.

St. Louis- Same as Pittsburgh. Pre-edge or modernize the 70's unis.

San Jose- Remove orange, replace with silver.

Tampa Bay- They need black.

Toronto- nothing.

Vancouver- remove workmark, atleast off the home.

Washington- Use a striping pattern based on your retro, make a blue alternate with the Weagle logo.

Winnipeg- They've sort of grown on me, but they need a little more red.

No I'm fine with their striping pattern. Just would prefer green over black.

sig.png

My thirty cents:

Anaheim: Eggplant/Teal and a staighter striping pattern.

LA: match home with road.

San Jose: Go back to original pattern with grey.

Phoenix: go back to pre edge jerseys

Dallas: Nothing

Vancouver: heritage jersey (40th Ann.) as basis for home and road

Calgary: go to alternate as full time home and road

Edmonton: Nothing

Minnesota: pre edge jerseys

Colorado: Everthing and anything would be better

Chicago: nothing

Detroit: Nothing

St Louis: more traditional striping, like originals

Nashville: get rid of cookie cutter jersey, but keep unique

Columbus: base something off of pre edge jerseys

Montreal: switch to the white jersey that matches the home:

Ottawa: make heritage / white heritage full time set

Toronto: Nothing

Buffalo: remove grey everything and lighten blue

Boston: switch to 70-80's striping on road

NY Rangers: Nothing

NY Islanders: Nothing

New Jersey: bring back green

Philadelphia: Keep orange but switch to pre edge striping pattern

Pittsburgh: Lemieux era jerseys

Florida: Switch to pre edge whites

Tampa Bay: Switch to something based off of original striping with Hawaiian blue

Washington: Make set based off alternate

Winnipeg: back to original jets striping

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

I think it's a real shame that a little more time wasn't spent on linking the Canes' set into their franchise history, particularly the road jersey, because I think even a limited additional input could have made it instantly recognisable as something belonging to the Carolina Hurricanes. I literally spent 5 minutes drawing a couple of lines and some squares in Paint, and came up with this that re-incorporates the flag pattern and harks a little back to the Whalers days with the silver...

MyCanesJersey_zps6a8d6ea6.jpg

Double blue fits the name, but it's about as overplayed as red, white, and blue currently.

The '90s Capitals scheme would actually be perfect for the Capitals, seeing as how it's the colors of the presidential seal. The teal they used isn't blue enough to be the main color of the Blue Jackets, IMO.

I do think the '90s Cavs color scheme with blue emphasized over black could possibly work, though.

The Presidential Seal doesn't use teal either ;)

What I mean is take the Capitals' 90s colour scheme and replace that teal/slate blue colour with a more traditional blue- navy or Columbia. That, with copper and a hint of black, wouldn't be a bad look for the Blue Jackets. At the end of the day, though, I'm with McCarthy. The current Blue Jackets' colour scheme is fine. They just need to tweak the uniforms a bit.

The Presidential Seal doesn't use teal either ;)

What I mean is take the Capitals' 90s colour scheme and replace that teal/slate blue colour with a more traditional blue- navy or Columbia. That, with copper and a hint of black, wouldn't be a bad look for the Blue Jackets. At the end of the day, though, I'm with McCarthy. The current Blue Jackets' colour scheme is fine. They just need to tweak the uniforms a bit.

Might work. And for the bottom striping go with something closer to the Pre-Edge flames to evoke the shape of this unused logo (which would make a great shoulder patch):

0222-cbj-prototype-stein.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1330283924590

70389454.png

Anaheim: What they have now, possibly with the wordmark replaced by the D/duck foot logo. Drop all hints from the Mighty Ducks era.

Boston: Perfect as is.

Buffalo: They could stand to loose the Bettman stripes.

Calgary: A modified version of their 1995-2000 set without the podium striping.

Carolina: The Cup Era uniforms, without a doubt.

Chicago: Perfect as is.

Colorado: Go back to the pre-Edge look.

Columbus: 2003-2007 alternates as the home, matching whites for the road.

Dallas: Take the 1988-1991 North Stars look and replace the N/star with a D, working an arrow and star into left upward stroke of the D.

Detroit: Perfect as is.

Edmonton: Perfect as is.

Florida: Go back to the 1998-2003 look.

Los Angeles: Use the road striping on the home jerseys, and dump the pencil logo for an update of the Gretzky era logo with a new font for the wordmark and the current crown.

Minnesota: Go back to the 2003-2007 look.

Montreal: Use the white version of the classic home reds on the road.

Nashville: Perfect as is.

New Jersey: As much as I love the current look, I think I prefer the 1982-1992 red and green look.

New York Islanders: Drop the alternate. Burn it. Modify the logo to include Brooklyn on the map of Long Island.

New York Rangers: Drop the fauxback alternate. Re-introduce the Liberty Head uniforms as alternates.

Ottawa: Use the alternate as the home uniform, but with white used in place of vintage white. Make a matching white version for the road.

Philadelphia: Go back to the 1984-2001 look.

Phoenix: Go back to the 1996-1998 set (no green alternate) but use just the Picasso Coyote head as the logo. The full bodied Picasso Coyote head was just a bit to much.

Pittsburgh: Go back to the 1988-1992 look.

St. Louis: Go back to the 1998-2007 look.

San Jose: Go back to the 1991-1998 colours, use over the shoulder stripes ala the California Golden seals, and a recoloured version of the current updated logo.

Tampa Bay: Use the 1992-2001 colour scheme of electric blue, black, white, and hints of silver. Use the original striping designs with updated logos.

Toronto: Go back to either the 1963-1967 look or the 1967-1970 look.

Vancouver: Go back to the 1970-1972 look, but use the updated stick-in-rink logo and the V/Johnny on the shoulders. Use a royal blue, green, and white version of the flying V sweater as an alternate with either the updated stick-in-rink logo or V/Johnny on the shoulders in place of the flying skate. Burn everything with the orca.

Washington: Perfect as is, save for the logo. Switch the Capitals script and the W/eagle/Capital.

Winnipeg: Home and road are perfect as is. Use a Columbia blue, navy, and white sweater with the Jets script as the primary logo with the roundel primary on the shoulders as an alternate.

Teams not mentioned below are fine as is:

Anaheim: "D" foot on chest. Green/Orange colors. No lame asymmetrical stripes.

Calgary: 

Carolina: Use the new white template as the model, but get the alt on the chest (And not so high on the chest).

Colorado: Dump the side panels, add hem stripes, dump black

Columbus: Use 3rd as template (but no laces) with color scheme of primaries

Dallas: Use North Stars colors.

Edmonton: 

Florida: Original look

Los Angeles: 

Minnesota: Original look with current red as the 3rd (the current red is better than the original red alt).

New Jersey: Go back to my favorite NHL uniform ever...

New York Islanders: Dump the alt.

Ottawa: Back to original look

Philadelphia: 

Pittsburgh:

St. Louis: 

Tampa Bay: Tough one for me because I would really like this if it was not so derivative of two original 6 teams. Keep the logo, change up the stripes, add gray or silver trim.

Toronto: 

Vancouver: Most importantly, pick a logo and colors and stick with it. For me, get some green on the logo and numbers. Dump the "Vancouver" work mark.

Washington: "W" logo on the 80s striping template.

Winnipeg: On the road, change the blue sleeves to a yoke so it's not broken by the sleeve stripes

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Might as well follow suit.

Anaheim: Please, for Gods sakes, bin the wordmark already. And those regular jerseys too. I'm sick to death of having to stare at this lifeless uniform. Get a new set loosely based on the third jersey, with hemstripes instead of the side panels and no piping. Maybe some sort of "classic" third jersey to cater to that crowd who wants one like that. As for the primary logo, I'm OK with the webfoot D but I'd much prefer a Duck Mask 2.0. Throw in a Mighty Ducks throwback to wear once a year while you're at it too.

Boston: Home and roads are perfect. Third jersey is dull, take that logo and stick it on a gold jersey instead.

Calgary: The pre-edge set without the black third.

Carolina: Bin the new jerseys and forget that ever happened.

Chicago: Everything is fine in Chi-town.

Columbus: Ditch the third jersey. Or at least get rid of the football/soccer-esque crest and replace it with something more befitting to hockey. Lose the vintage white for actual white.

Dallas: Keep the new set, and add a black third jersey vaguely reminiscent of the Stars early days in Dallas. Ditch that Texas State outline logo or rework it because it's awkward and unbalanced.

Detroit: All good.

Edmonton: Wouldn't mind seeing a third jersey based on their 90's navy uniform. Home and roads are fine.

Florida: Go back to the inaugural look.

Los Angeles: Make the striping more consistent and ditch the stupid piping. Add in some purple and dump the shield logo for an updated crown because the crown logo they use now is terrible.

Minnesota: Stop trying to abandon your primary logo. Get a matching uniform already.

Montreal: Absolutely fine! Nothing to change here! And me saying that has nothing to do with the people behind me holding torches and pitchforks. Whatsoever.

Nashville: Lose the piping. Add a blue third.

New Jersey: I got nothin'

NY Islanders: Dump those thirds and run 'em over with the Ultrazord.

NY Rangers: All good.

Ottawa: Dump the 3D Sen Head for the updated 2D one. Lose the generic Edge template for something closer to the earlier years.

Philadelphia: Look guys, come on. The modern era isn't that bad. I know that third you had before and that generic edge set was terrible to the point where it apparently traumatised you, but you can't bury yourselves in the 70's forever. Just bring yourselves forward a bit to the 80's and everything will be alright. Also, those coloured nameplates are bad, and you should feel bad for introducing them.

Pittsburgh: Go back to the pre-edge set. I don't mind if they go back to athletic gold or keep the metallic vegas gold, anything is better than khaki. Maybe get an early 90's/late 80's inspired third.

St Louis: Return to the pre-edge set, ditch the roundel on the current third for the primary logo.

San Jose: lose the orange. Go back to your pre-edge uniform or the original set. Keep the updated logo.

Tampa Bay: current logo needs some tweaking. Add some black and silver to the home and roads. Add a black third vaguely reminiscent of the early era.

Toronto: Leaf them be.

Vancouver: I don't know anymore. Make your Goddamned minds up.

Washington: THIS [/shamelessplug]

Winnipeg: Home and roads are perfect. I dunno, throw in a retro third to keep the fans happy.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived