2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

And guys: We need to have a talk about striping. Let's take a gander at a great year from my childhood in terms of NHL unis: http://www.nhlunifor...91/1990-91.html What do you notice? All teams are wearing "traditional" jerseys with "bland striping" and Original 6 rip-offs. The Nordiques have a different pattern, but I mean, come on. No one is breaking any ground with how you break up the striping on a hockey uniform. I get that we had less teams then and blah blah blah, but look at the sweaters. Seriously. What do you notice? That said, Carolina doesn't look great after seeing the unveiling. Very underwhelming... Stars, on the other hand, look amazing.

Could not agree more on your striping take.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of yesterday's reveals, I would say the Carolina away is the best. ( I love the colors) Any agreements?

Followed by Dallas home, away, Carolina home.

I agree though it's a tie with Dallas away IMO, and I hate Carolinas new home.

And guys: We need to have a talk about striping. Let's take a gander at a great year from my childhood in terms of NHL unis: http://www.nhlunifor...91/1990-91.html What do you notice? All teams are wearing "traditional" jerseys with "bland striping" and Original 6 rip-offs. The Nordiques have a different pattern, but I mean, come on. No one is breaking any ground with how you break up the striping on a hockey uniform. I get that we had less teams then and blah blah blah, but look at the sweaters. Seriously. What do you notice? That said, Carolina doesn't look great after seeing the unveiling. Very underwhelming... Stars, on the other hand, look amazing.

Thanks, bud. I think people severely missed my point (not sure how, exactly), so I thank ye tremendously.

The fact that some people were calling the Stars jersey "lame" because it "stole" from the Rangers is siiiiiiiiiiilly, and I'm the biggest Ranger fan around. I don't look at that jersey as "stealing" anything.

And honestly, to some teams looking for direction, feel free to pilfer from the Rangers or any other team that LOOKS GOOD on the ice.

I said a long time ago that teams should fix their jerseys very simply by recoloring workable templates like the Rangers and Bruins.

And frankly, that's what teams have always done...

I'm not looking at the page of jerseys right now, so forgive my memory, but basically....

Aren't the Flames (red/yellow/white) just the Blues with replacing the blue for red?

Aren't the monochrome Wings a red version of the monochrome Maple Leafs?

Aren't the Devils essentially the Rangers with black instead of blue?

The Panthers are essentially the Flames, with exchanging black for navy blue....

The Kings' black/silver/white wasn't breaking any new ground. It borrowed from a few teams, namely the Red Wings... They weren't some iconoclast. They also blatantly stole from the Raiders. How creative is that?

The Penguins are notorious for doing the exact same thing (taking from the football team). And in fact, their scheme was (if you don't believe me, go here: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=56510 ) so close to the Bruins that they friggin' protested the then-change.

The Islanders ARE the Oilers except without the yokes...

The Sabres were basically the Blues, with some inverting of the colors on the sleeves.

Someone spoke earlier about cognitive dissonance. I feel like that's going on here.

We want to hearken back to the good old days, where (despite there being 5-10 less teams) we... STILL "STOLE" from one another and had teams that basically looked like one another, save an inversion here or there. With 30 teams, you are going to run into a few similarities....

Thanks, bud. I think people severely missed my point (not sure how, exactly), so I thank ye tremendously.

The fact that some people were calling the Stars jersey "lame" because it "stole" from the Rangers is siiiiiiiiiiilly, and I'm the biggest Ranger fan around. I don't look at that jersey as "stealing" anything.

And honestly, to some teams looking for direction, feel free to pilfer from the Rangers or any other team that LOOKS GOOD on the ice.

I said a long time ago that teams should fix their jerseys very simply by recoloring workable templates like the Rangers and Bruins.

And frankly, that's what teams have always done...

I'm not looking at the page of jerseys right now, so forgive my memory, but basically....

Aren't the Flames (red/yellow/white) just the Blues with replacing the blue for red?

Aren't the monochrome Wings a red version of the monochrome Maple Leafs?

Aren't the Devils essentially the Rangers with black instead of blue?

The Panthers are essentially the Flames, with exchanging black for navy blue....

The Kings' black/silver/white wasn't breaking any new ground. It borrowed from a few teams, namely the Red Wings... They weren't some iconoclast. They also blatantly stole from the Raiders. How creative is that?

The Penguins are notorious for doing the exact same thing (taking from the football team). And in fact, their scheme was (if you don't believe me, go here: http://penguins.nhl....ge.htm?id=56510 ) so close to the Bruins that they friggin' protested the then-change.

The Islanders ARE the Oilers except without the yokes...

The Sabres were basically the Blues, with some inverting of the colors on the sleeves.

Someone spoke earlier about cognitive dissonance. I feel like that's going on here.

We want to hearken back to the good old days, where (despite there being 5-10 less teams) we... STILL "STOLE" from one another and had teams that basically looked like one another, save an inversion here or there. With 30 teams, you are going to run into a few similarities....

Like i said, could not agree more. Most of which you'd never notice unless it was pointed out side by side.

Oooh, I'll play this game!

Anaheim: Make the alts the home uniform with a matching road. I was never a fan of the Mighty Ducks jerseys outside the Nike alts FWIW

Boston: Keep everything as is. Yes, even the alts

Buffalo: Keep it

Calgary: Pre-edge and keep the retro uniforms as a third. That or go to the pre-edge black alts but swap the horsehead with the red C

Carolina: Go back with what they've been wearing to this season

Chicago: Keep everything as is

Columbus: Keep the homes and aways, replace the alt with something red. I'd be interested in seeing a red Jackets logo, perhaps with the shoulder patch as the primary crest

Dallas: Keep everything as is, just swap the roundel with the Texas logo. A black alt with the Texas logo down the road should look good, too

Detroit: Don't touch anything

Edmonton: Keep the homes and aways, but maybe bring back navy for an alt

Florida: Do a navy alt that matches the homes and aways

Los Angeles: Consistent striping please

Minnesota: For gods sakes, go back to the original look. Make the homes the alts again and all is well in the world

Montreal: Bring back the vintage alt. I love their stripes in the middle in blue on white

Nashville: Keep everything as is

New Jersey: I know this will never happen over Lou's dead body, but a black alt would be killer

NY Islanders: Obviously kill the alts, but I'd absolutely love a re-color for an alt swapping the royal and orange around

NY Rangers: I like the alts they have now, but I feel like Lady Liberty needs a nice return

Ottawa: I would actually like them to consider moving the alts to full time homes with a matching away and then a red version (or barberpole!) for an alt

Philadelphia: Go back to the Lindros-era look. Orange at home and black as an alt

Phoenix: Well, considering god only knows what the future holds, keep it as is for now. If there's some stability, I would say come up with something new and combine both era's colors or something (like the brick red with the green or something)

Pittsburgh: Change the striping. I'm fine with them using Vegas Gold, but the striping leaves a lot to be desired considering they went with a generic template

St. Louis: Pre-Edge set. Maybe modernize the 90s trumpet logo for a shoulder patch or to use for a navy or gold alt

San Jose: Unpopular opinion, but keep it as is. I like the orange.

Tampa Bay: Take your BOLTS uniform, slap the Edge-era primary on it as the crest, remove the "Tampa Bay" on the bottom of the back, make a matching away, and go back to the Pre-Edge blacks for the alt. I solved a whole bunch of problems there.

Toronto: Leave the homes and aways be, go back to the white alt

Vancouver: Umm... figure out what logo to make your primary, but keep the striping on the homes and aways the same. Make a green alt with one of the 50 logos you use that isn't the primary mark as the main crest of the alt.

Washington: Keep the logo that's there now, but get more traditional striping. Also a navy alt with the Weagle as the front crest.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

So now that Dallas and Carolina changed. What teams are we still expecting to change?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

So now that Dallas and Carolina changed. What teams are we still expecting to change?

Icethetics has mentioned the following:

1. New Sharks home and away

2. New Wild away

(I'd put the rest at maybes)

3. New Sabres third

4. New Flames third/ swapping out the retro

5. Laces for Habs?

6. Pens going without third jersey

I hate that logo and I don't know why it shows up in every Blue Jackets concept on the boards.

The only thing I do not like about Columbus' home and away is the red breezers on the away. It would look MUCH better with Union Blue.

70389454.png

Icethetics has mentioned the following:

1. New Sharks home and away

2. New Wild away

(I'd put the rest at maybes)

3. New Sabres third

4. New Flames third/ swapping out the retro

5. Laces for Habs?

6. Pens going without third jersey

Sucks about the Flames. I liked the retro 3rds.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Here is what I would love to ideally see for all 30 NHL teams with their uniforms.

ANAHEIM DUCKS:

*Bring back the Mighty Ducks full uniform with primary logo for the crest. But in current color scheme!

*No secondary logo on the shoulders.

*Maybe change the exact pattern of the diagonal stripes from the Mighty Ducks design that is more receptive to today's trends.

BOSTON BRUINS:

*No changes to home and away jerseys except make nameplate style a standard block font.

*Replace current alternate jersey with 2010 Winter Classic jersey. Do same nameplate font change.

BUFFALO SABRES:

*Remove phantom armpit outline to home jersey.

*Create royal blue and yellow version as new alternate jersey.

CALGARY FLAMES:

*Completely simplify home and away uniforms with current crest logos.

*Remove all ugly side panel striping and flags on shoulders.

*Change nameplate font to exactly what Carolina just had.

*Create a new black alternate jersey that matches or is close enough to revised home jersey. Use a red or white colored flaming C logo with proper outlining in team's other current accent colors.

*Retain vintage red jersey worn a limited number of times last season. Wear for at least 15 home games each season.

CAROLINA HURRICANES:

*Change back to the now-previous uniform, except remove the phantom yolk!

*Keep black alternate jersey as is.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS:

DO NOT change anything. BUT... bring back the black alternate with the same design as current home and away jerseys.

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS:

Very difficult to narrow it down to one choice among concepts I have seen, but maybe create a white road version to the new alternate jersey.

Change nameplate and number style to standard block font on all jerseys.

DALLAS STARS:

Eliminate the new primary crest logo and secondary rondell on shoulders.

Replace with simple star logo reminiscent of Dallas Cowboys' logo except make it in slanted Stars style. Add new alternate logo with Texas outline onto the shoulders.

DETROIT RED WINGS:

DO NOT change anything. BUT... maybe the nameplate font as the same as what the Colorado Avalanche have OR what was worn on their 2009 Winter Classic jersey.

EDMONTON OILERS:

No changes.

FLORIDA PANTHERS:

Go back to the original uniform set, except in the 1997 version (noticeably the nameplate and numbering fonts) immediately before the league-wide Reebok overhaul.

LOS ANGELES KINGS:

*Either bring back the 1998 version of the Gretzky-era jerseys as is or place a new crown logo as the crest. The crown would be fuller and a more accurate depiction of an actual crown, only not too detailed.

*All jerseys would include this new crown logo. Current primary logo would be eliminated from all uniforms.

*Bring back original solid color home and away jerseys from their inaugural season as two alternate jerseys.

*Standard block font for nameplate and numbers for all jerseys as was used during early 1980s and Gretzky era. This includes proposed return of 1967 original jerseys.

*Wordmark logo would what was used during Gretzky era and what is used right now on the Kings' helmets for home and away games. The city name would match the word "KINGS" seen on those helmets.

MINNESOTA WILD:

*Go back to the original uniform set in franchise history, except also include the original red alternate jersey. These three uniforms were last worn in the 2006-207 season. OTHERWISE...

*Create new green home jersey and matching white road jersey. Each has two not too thick stripes for hem and sleeves in complementary colors. Each a small space in between them or done adjacent to each other.

*New red jersey would become an alternate.

*All three new jerseys would bear the primary logo as the crest. Rondell logo on current home jersey and wordmark logo used on current alternate jersey ELIMINATED altogether.

*Nameplate and numbering fonts currently on home and alternate jerseys to be used on all three new jerseys as a complete and consistent set.

MONTREAL CANADIENS:

DO NOT change anything! Except bring back white vintage alternate jersey last worn during 2006-2007 season.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS:

Replace current primary logo with 2006-2007 season's mustard alternate jersey's crest logo for ALL jerseys, including proposed navy blue alternate jersey.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS:

*No changes to current home and away jerseys.

*Consider a black alternate jersey with a new full size devil head (facing straight at you, not a side profile one) for a crest logo.

*Bring back vintage red away jersey with its green accents as seen at least twice in the past three years. Only to be used at home against teams from new Atlantic Division and Boston, Montreal and Toronto.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS:

*Keep current vintage themed home and away jerseys.

*Change to nameplate and numbering format last seen on 2006-2007 home and away jerseys.

*Add their blue color outline around primary logo as crest to the current away jersey.

*ELIMINATE current hideous alternate jersey.

NEW YORK RANGERS:

*Bring back either their 1994 home and away jerseys or theirs from the 2006-2007 season, which was immediately before the league-wide Reebok overhaul.

*Bring back BOTH "Lady Liberty" jerseys and be sure the outlining of names and numbers are in all three colors each jersey originally had.

*Consider using current alternate "Heritage" jersey and 2012 Winter Classic jersey for upcoming outdoor games in January 2014. Each will be worn at least 3 more times per season.

*Heritage jersey has logo from 2012 Winter Classic jersey replacing the "NEW YORK" on the front.

OTTAWA SENATORS:

*Remove sidepanels from both the home and away jerseys. Complete white and black striping all the way around the cuffing area.

*Change to standard block font for nameplate on new "Heritage" jersey currently being used as an alternate.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS:

*Extend width of stripe running down shoulders to the end of each sleeve to full width of sleeves. Looks this way on Flyers replica jerseys. That way the numbers DO NOT OVERLAP as they do on current vertical sleeve stripes.

*Use 2012 Winter Classic jersey for 2 games per season, at least in consideration against the New York Rangers.

PHOENIX COYOTES:

*Consider adding sand and black accenting to current home and away jerseys. Leave nameplate and numbers as they are right now. Otherwise, leave both jerseys alone.

*ELIMINATE "leaping fox" logo on alternate black jersey. Replace it with primary crest logo OR crescent moon logo in current team colors right now seen on one pants leg.

*Remove team name from paw print within team's rondell logo seen on current alternate jersey.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS:

*Create modernized version of 1991 Stanley Cup championship uniforms, complete with current nameplate and numbering fonts. Use current primary logo on the front.

*Keep 2011 Winter Classic jersey as an alternate, but use primary logo on the front instead. Adjust outlining to colors in that jersey.

ST. LOUIS BLUES:

*Bring back inaugural season home and away jerseys, but with current "Blue Note" primary logo on front and current nameplate and numbering fonts.

*Create royal blue version of new home jersey as an alternate, but add black accenting.

SAN JOSE SHARKS:

*Eliminate orange from team identity. Toughest to do this for the primary and alternate "full body" logo.

*Straighten triangle on both the primary logo and alternate full body logo.

*Create updated version of inaugural season jerseys right down to the nameplate and numbering fonts.

*Decide if original secondary "fin" logo is used or new one to be added for the shoulders.

*Eliminate the "SJ" on shoulders of the current alternate black jersey, which will remain part of overall uniform set. That will have name and number fonts matching new home and away jerseys.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING:

*Add black outlining and accenting stripes to current home and away jerseys. Incorporate black into current primary logo.

*Replace old alternate jersey with a black version of the home jersey. Use same pants for entire uniform set as what was used on current alternate jersey this season.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS:

DO NOT change anything!

VANCOUVER CANUCKS:

*Make current alternate jersey with modernized "stick in rink" logo as the new home jersey. Create matching white away jersey.

*Eliminate orca logo completely from team identity. Use "Johnny Canuck" logo on both shoulders for both home and away jerseys.

*Consider using 1994 black road jersey for select home games.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS:

*Eliminate side paneling to both the home and away jerseys. Fix striping along hem to match what is on vintage home white jersey that has been an alternate this season.

*Replace current wordmark crest logo with the vintage version.

*Create a blue alternate jersey with the "winged eagle" secondary logo as the crest logo. Use a US Capitol Building logo on the shoulders.

WINNIPEG JETS:

*Simply bring back the 1996 logo and uniforms. Maybe with modernized detailing updates.

Am i seriously the only person who likes Vancouver's Orca? Don't get me wrong i like the stick in rink and Johnny Canuck as well.

I'm with you. Orca or bust.

Sharks06.png

slap the current logo on these and call it a day

I never realized how different the home and road were.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ducks: Become Mighty once again

Bruins: Perfect

Sabres: Lose the piping and bring back the alternate

Flames: Go back to Pre-Edge jerseys and keep current alt

Hurricanes: Go back to Monday

Blackhawks: Bring back the black alternate

Avalanche: Go back to Pre-Edge

Blue Jackets: Perfect

Stars: Put the Texas logo on the shoulder

Wings: Bring back the Winter Classic jersey as an alt

Oilers: Navy and orange, bring back old shoulder logo

Panthers: Bring back the Pre-Edge set

Kings: Add hem stripes to home

Wild: Invert colours on home jersey, use as basis for away

Canadiens; Perfect

Predators: Switch colours on home, use yellow as alt

Devils: Add black alt

Islanders: Burn alt

Rangers: Perfect

Senators: Use alt as basis for new home and away, make alt using now-defunct side-profile logo

Flyers: Perfect

Coyotes: Recolour original logo to match new, slap on current jerseys with added hemline

Penguins: Recolour dynasty jerseys with vegas gold, retire alt

Sharks: Lose front number, stop using alt in playoffs

Blues: Perfect

Lightning: Use current logo on alt

Maple Leafs: Perfect

Canucks: Lose wordmark and orca, use stick-in-rink on home-away, use full-body Johnny Canuck on alt

Capitals: Use weagle on home and away

Jets: Add light blue alt

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Sharks06.png

slap the current logo on these and call it a day

I never realized how different the home and road were.

Yeah, that's always bugged me about that set. Particularly the coloured underarm mesh. If you got rid of the black mesh on the teal sweaters it would all come together better, I think.

It always bothered me how the white socks stripe went teal-gray-teal when it so obviously should've gone black-gray-teal. The sleeves have that striping scheme, why didn't the socks?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I prefer the original Sharks set myself, only because I like more of a hem pattern. I know that there's the teal band running at the bottom of the sweater, but that really doesn't do much to erase all that empty space.

But I can appreciate the set above because it was distinctly San Jose's, and not particularly garish, either.

spacer.png

Archived