2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And guys: We need to have a talk about striping. Let's take a gander at a great year from my childhood in terms of NHL unis: http://www.nhluniforms.com/1990-91/1990-91.html What do you notice? All teams are wearing "traditional" jerseys with "bland striping" and Original 6 rip-offs. The Nordiques have a different pattern, but I mean, come on. No one is breaking any ground with how you break up the striping on a hockey uniform. I get that we had less teams then and blah blah blah, but look at the sweaters. Seriously. What do you notice? That said, Carolina doesn't look great after seeing the unveiling. Very underwhelming... Stars, on the other hand, look amazing.

Wow, look at all that color. Five teams in red white and blue, yet not one of them look alike. And none of those teams look bad. There are some that aren't great (Canucks, etc.) but they were different.

sig.png

And guys: We need to have a talk about striping. Let's take a gander at a great year from my childhood in terms of NHL unis: http://www.nhlunifor...91/1990-91.html What do you notice? All teams are wearing "traditional" jerseys with "bland striping" and Original 6 rip-offs. The Nordiques have a different pattern, but I mean, come on. No one is breaking any ground with how you break up the striping on a hockey uniform. I get that we had less teams then and blah blah blah, but look at the sweaters. Seriously. What do you notice? That said, Carolina doesn't look great after seeing the unveiling. Very underwhelming... Stars, on the other hand, look amazing.

That really was a great era. Most teams stood out from each other but nobody was yet trying to hard to be kewl. My only complaints in this snapshot are the Blues use of red and Quebec's one-color numbers. That does not mean every uniform is great, but there are very few "perplexing" choices (Like the Oilers Edge jersey). Basic horizontal stripes work great.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

And guys: We need to have a talk about striping. Let's take a gander at a great year from my childhood in terms of NHL unis: http://www.nhlunifor...91/1990-91.html What do you notice? All teams are wearing "traditional" jerseys with "bland striping" and Original 6 rip-offs. The Nordiques have a different pattern, but I mean, come on. No one is breaking any ground with how you break up the striping on a hockey uniform. I get that we had less teams then and blah blah blah, but look at the sweaters. Seriously. What do you notice? That said, Carolina doesn't look great after seeing the unveiling. Very underwhelming... Stars, on the other hand, look amazing.

Wow, look at all that color. Five teams in red white and blue, yet not one of them look alike. And none of those teams look bad. There are some that aren't great (Canucks, etc.) but they were different.

This is exactly what I think people complain about, and rightfully so. As of this past season, of the 30 teams in the league, 26 of them wear primary uniforms that are Black, Red, or Blue (and you could easily make the case for Colorado). That leaves Philly, Nashville, and San Jose who don't. San Jose has a black uniform that might as well be their primary, leaving two teams that aren't outfitted in red, blue, or black (I'm not counting the pants, helmet, or accents for Philly).

Then, you have teams coming up with uniforms that are the exact same colors and styles as those of other teams. The big issue is the lack of variability in the league, which is the big issue. 1990-1991 was great because most teams used unique striping and colors, making them stand out. In the case of Carolina, Tampa, and Phoenix, they went away from distinctive looks so they could look extremely similar to other, more established teams.

The reason why Dallas' rebrand is good is because green is the primary color now, and that the striping they use is unique (sure, there are similarities between the home and the Blackhawks home, but it is clearly different when examined).

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

The reason why Dallas' rebrand is good is because green is the primary color now, and that the striping they use is unique (sure, there are similarities between the home and the Blackhawks home, but it is clearly different when examined).

You're right about similarities with the Blackhawks home, but the Rangers' home, on the other hand...

StarsRangers.png

You're right about similarities with the Blackhawks home, but the Rangers' home, on the other hand...

StarsRangers.png

I could care less about that, but is the Dallas home a new template? It doesn't look like one I've seen before.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

There is nothing wrong with the Carolina set. They finally dont look like a roller hockey team!

People here just bitch about everything. "we want more traditonal stripes, stupid edge"

"wow, way to copy another teams stripes..."

Bitch bitch bitch...

That's not what's happening here. What's happening here is that the Hurricanes introduced a load of hot garbage and people are calling it like they see it.

When a good uniform is unveiled a majority of the posters here will give credit where its due. The reaction to the new Carolina nonsense isn't bitching for the sake of bitching.

The new Canes uniform is not a load of hot garbage by any stretch of the imagination. It is a nice, simple, traditional jersey. It may be bland, it may be derivative, it may be unoriginal, but that doesn't make it hot garbage. The problem people seem to have is that the new design pales in comparison to the old one, and I agree--the previous Canes set was a top-10 uniform and the warning flag pattern was very distinctive and cool, so this is a significant downgrade. But that doesn't mean the new jersey is hot garbage, just that the old one was much better.

There is nothing wrong with the Carolina set. They finally dont look like a roller hockey team!

People here just bitch about everything. "we want more traditonal stripes, stupid edge"

Bitch bitch bitch...

That's not what's happening here. What's happening here is that the Hurricanes introduced a load of hot garbage and people are calling it like they see it.

When a good uniform is unveiled a majority of the posters here will give credit where its due. The reaction to the new Carolina nonsense isn't bitching for the sake of bitching.

The new Canes uniform is not a load of hot garbage by any stretch of the imagination. It is a nice, simple, traditional jersey. It may be bland, it may be derivative, it may be unoriginal, but that doesn't make it hot garbage. The problem people seem to have is that the new design pales in comparison to the old one, and I agree--the previous Canes set was a top-10 uniform and the warning flag pattern was very distinctive and cool, so this is a significant downgrade. But that doesn't mean the new jersey is hot garbage, just that the old one was much better.

bland, derivative, unoriginal, inconsistent, thoughtless, unattractive, tired, stale, phony, etc.

It's (red) hot garbage.

Besides, that wasn't my point to our friend up there. My point was that the "bitch bitch bitch" wasn't just baseless bitching for the sake of bitching. There's a reason the response here has been so negative.

PvO6ZWJ.png

StarsRangers.png

I could care less about that, but is the Dallas home a new template? It doesn't look like one I've seen before.

It's "couldn't"...but yeah, even though the striping is virtually the same, at least the colors are great. It's a definite upgrade over their previous set, logo and all. A tweak here and there are the only things keeping their set from being Top 5 instead of just Top 10.

Bitch bitch bitch...

You're not getting the point that the "edge" stripes (while considered modern) are an extreme variation of modern that became the standard in 2007. Many teams transfered to this cookie-cutter BS (to the point where the Penguins and Senators are virtually identical with the exception of colors, logos, and font). Now, we're seeing a transition into a new standard that people also don't care for: Original 6 ripoffs. This is a tale of two striping patterns: Modern gone wrong, and traditional gone wrong. When both ideas are poorly executed, it's not just a black and white issue where one should stand on one side or the other, and if one doesn't, they are considered whiners. When a look is not good...it's...not good.

so who's up next with uniform changes? Sharks? Blues? Caps? (wishful thinking)

I've never liked the shoulder yoke on the homes jerseys for the Sharks. It's not that the black, white and teal clash in some major way, but I think it would much better if you took it off, mainly because I like the idea of teams differentiating with a dominant color, which teal does for them. I have a soft spot for the last modern set a couple years back since that's what they were wearing when I became a fan, but I think those black yokes need to go.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

If everybody goes "classic", all the teams will be lookalikes.

Yes.

The league should have a good balance of traditional and modern looks. Both can look great, and there's no reason for some '90s expansion team to go all "retro" because they think that's the only way they can look good. Sure, simple designs look great, but if you had so many teams wearing them, it would get repetitive and you'd want to see more creativity. So many people think that a simple uniform makes a look iconic - it doesn't. History and tradition do. If the Isles wore Fishsticks for their Dynasty years, they'd be considered "iconic".

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Sharks06.png

Simple. Classy. Timeless. Iconic.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

You don't know what iconic means.

I do like that uniform a lot though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

You don't know what iconic means.

I do like that uniform a lot though.

If you wanna go there, the Cambridge Dictionary defines "iconic" as "very famous or popular, especially being considered to represent particular opinions or a particular time". Pretty much sums up why classic hockey looks are considered "iconic" - being very famous and representing old-time hockey tradition and greatness. The Habs' uniforms are iconic because they're associated with some of the greatest dynasties in the sport, and heck, even an entire culture. Anyone who knows a lick about hockey knows that logo and what it represents. That is iconic.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived