2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

OK- so if you guys had it your way, how would each team look?

Me:

Anaheim- Change the black to a dark green, make the duck mask logo the primary in updated colors. Webbed foot as shoulder patch.

Boston- Change nothing except add a hem stripe to the alt.

Buffalo- Remove piping, lighten the blue.

Calgary- Go back to either the pre-edge set or maybe add some black to the 80s set.

Carolina- Go back to two days ago.

Chicago- Change nothing.

Colorado- Pre-edge set.

Columbus- I'm really not sure. I think they need something new altogether.

Dallas- I'm content with the new unis, save for a few tweaks here and there.

Detroit- nothing.

Edmonton- never change again.

Florida- Back to the gorgeous pre-edge set.

Los Angeles- I don't mind their new unis, although a little purple would be nice. Remove piping.

Minnesota- Make the third your template for home and away. Add the bear head logo to the front.

Montreal- nothing.

Nashville- Navy alternate would be nice, but for now, just remove the piping.

New Jersey- nothing

NY Islanders- nothing, but for the love of god burn all the alternates ever produced. A well done orange third could be nice.

NY Rangers- nothing.

Ottawa- Go back to anything you wore before these cookie cutter pieces of crap.

Philadelphia- Could use some tweaks, but nice altogether.

Phoenix- I loved their original set, but I understand that most people didn't. Add a hem stripe to an otherwise solid set.

Pittsburgh- Who's in charge here? Pre-edge or modernize your 80's-90's unis. Come on now, your uniforms are gross.

St. Louis- Same as Pittsburgh. Pre-edge or modernize the 70's unis.

San Jose- Remove orange, replace with silver.

Tampa Bay- They need black.

Toronto- nothing.

Vancouver- remove workmark, atleast off the home.

Washington- Use a striping pattern based on your retro, make a blue alternate with the Weagle logo.

Winnipeg- They've sort of grown on me, but they need a little more red.

Anaheim- Colours are fine. I'd change up the hem striping to something less asymmetrical and disjointed.

Wait !! At present, Anaheim is the only team to use a "unique" / asymmetrical hem striping. If they follow your change, won't this be Original 6 dress-up??

You can have a jersey without horrible, unbalanced striping that isn't o6 dress up

Yes, I know. That was my point. Jeesh. Next time I'll put : "sarcasm alert." I agree with you. Not for nothing, guys.... I feel like most of you are solid fans who love hockey and the designs that make up our great sport, but a lot of you cannot read, form coherent thoughts, avoid contradicting yourselves or understand sarcasm. Read my posts over again, and I hope you'll find the common thread, pun intended. So far, guys like Fillmont and Means have really stood out in terms of FOLLOWING what I've been saying. So, yes, you CAN have "traditional" striping that doesn't infringe on the Original 6. Yes.

That's a pretty broad and condescending brush you're painting with. It's a fine point that the 1990-91 NHL teams looked great with universal hem stripes, but are you waiting for every board member to acknowledge it to prove they can read?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anaheim--Alternate becomes new home jersey, white version designed for road

Boston--Winter Classic jersey becomes new alternate, leave the other two alone.

Buffalo--Lose the pit stains and the needless piping

Calgary--Pre-edge set

Carolina--The set from a few days ago

Chicago--Bring back the throwbacks from 1991-94 (barber pole jerseys), leave the others alone.

Colorado--Pre-edge set

Columbus--Leave 'em alone, ditch the alternate

Dallas--Black outlines on the numbers, add silver to the jerseys. Other than that, leave 'em alone.

Detroit--Leave 'em alone

Edmonton--Leave 'em alone

Florida--Pre-edge set

Los Angeles--1980-88 road jerseys as alternate, leave the other two alone.

Minnesota--Pre-edge set

Montreal--Bring back the 1944-47 home jerseys as alternates, leave the others alone

Nashville--Leave 'em alone

New Jersey--Leave 'em alone

New York Islanders--Burn the alternates and dump the ashes in the Atlantic. Design an orange alternate based on this for the move to Brooklyn.

New York Rangers--Bring back the Lady Liberty blue jerseys as alternates

Ottawa--1997-99 set with current alternate

Philadelphia--Leave 'em alone, no black alternates!

Phoenix--(If they must stay in Phoenix) Hem stripes to both jerseys

Pittsburgh--Pre-edge jerseys with 1988-92 black jersey as alternate

St. Louis--1979-84 jerseys with current alternate

San Jose--Pre-edge jerseys

Tampa Bay--Current alternate jersey with 2007-11 logo for home, white version of that for road. Burn the current "Tampa Bay Maple Wings" set.

Toronto--Switch the current logo with the classic 35-point Leaf logo. Other than that, leave 'em alone.

Vancouver--Current alternate as home jersey, white version for road, green alternate with Johnny Canuck logo on the front.

Washington--Modern version of the retro jersey.

Winnipeg--Add 1978-79 WHA Jets road jersey as alternate, leave the others alone.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

OK- so if you guys had it your way, how would each team look?

Me:

Anaheim- Change the black to a dark green, make the duck mask logo the primary in updated colors. Webbed foot as shoulder patch.

Boston- Change nothing except add a hem stripe to the alt.

Buffalo- Remove piping, lighten the blue.

Calgary- Go back to either the pre-edge set or maybe add some black to the 80s set.

Carolina- Go back to two days ago.

Chicago- Change nothing.

Colorado- Pre-edge set.

Columbus- I'm really not sure. I think they need something new altogether.

Dallas- I'm content with the new unis, save for a few tweaks here and there.

Detroit- nothing.

Edmonton- never change again.

Florida- Back to the gorgeous pre-edge set.

Los Angeles- I don't mind their new unis, although a little purple would be nice. Remove piping.

Minnesota- Make the third your template for home and away. Add the bear head logo to the front.

Montreal- nothing.

Nashville- Navy alternate would be nice, but for now, just remove the piping.

New Jersey- nothing

NY Islanders- nothing, but for the love of god burn all the alternates ever produced. A well done orange third could be nice.

NY Rangers- nothing.

Ottawa- Go back to anything you wore before these cookie cutter pieces of crap.

Philadelphia- Could use some tweaks, but nice altogether.

Phoenix- I loved their original set, but I understand that most people didn't. Add a hem stripe to an otherwise solid set.

Pittsburgh- Who's in charge here? Pre-edge or modernize your 80's-90's unis. Come on now, your uniforms are gross.

St. Louis- Same as Pittsburgh. Pre-edge or modernize the 70's unis.

San Jose- Remove orange, replace with silver.

Tampa Bay- They need black.

Toronto- nothing.

Vancouver- remove workmark, atleast off the home.

Washington- Use a striping pattern based on your retro, make a blue alternate with the Weagle logo.

Winnipeg- They've sort of grown on me, but they need a little more red.

Anaheim- Colours are fine. I'd change up the hem striping to something less asymmetrical and disjointed.

Wait !! At present, Anaheim is the only team to use a "unique" / asymmetrical hem striping. If they follow your change, won't this be Original 6 dress-up??

You can have a jersey without horrible, unbalanced striping that isn't o6 dress up

Yes, I know. That was my point. Jeesh. Next time I'll put : "sarcasm alert." I agree with you. Not for nothing, guys.... I feel like most of you are solid fans who love hockey and the designs that make up our great sport, but a lot of you cannot read, form coherent thoughts, avoid contradicting yourselves or understand sarcasm. Read my posts over again, and I hope you'll find the common thread, pun intended. So far, guys like Fillmont and Means have really stood out in terms of FOLLOWING what I've been saying. So, yes, you CAN have "traditional" striping that doesn't infringe on the Original 6. Yes.

That's a pretty broad and condescending brush you're painting with. It's a fine point that the 1990-91 NHL teams looked great with universal hem stripes, but are you waiting for every board member to acknowledge it to prove they can read?

I apologize for the harsh post. It's certainly not a productive way to make friends or promote topical discussion.

For the love of God man, nobody thinks that straight hem stripes automatically mean Original Six dress-up. We appreciate modern and unique striping patterns, absolutely, but in cases like the 90s Kings (Gretzky era and the late '90s set), you can look modern with straight hem stripes. Again, nobody has said that straight hem stripes make a jersey a wannabe old-school. Go back through the pages and try to find one post that says that.

What I'm saying is that the consensus around the hockey world (not just limited to this board, but the sentiment is felt here) is the following: The Canes, for example, are pretending to be an Original 6 team by gutting their unique and modern flags and warning squares and replacing them with simple, no-frills striping.

Can we agree on this point? This has been the takeaway reverberating around Twitter, Icethetics, here, message boards. PEOPLE DON’T LIKE THE CHANGES.

So, let’s stop at this point. I’m not telling you what I think. I’m simply reviewing what’s been stated.

The hockey universe has reacted much kinder to the Stars’ changes, but detractors have said they’re copying the Rangers and Hawks.

So, all I’ve said is that people who oppose the changes we’ve seen this off-season have made allusions to “the way it was” (presumably memories from their childhood). They’ll joke about the Whalers and North Stars and wish things could have stayed how they were in 1991.

So that’s why I chose that year in uniform aesthetics from nhluniforms.com. It was a “simpler” time, and it featured some people’s favorite ballyhooed jerseys and designs.

Taking a gander at the uniforms world back then, I was simply noting that besides the Nords (with the fleurs-de-lis), everyone uses traditional striping, which has been suggested as a marker of modern teams trying to look retro.

Now, if you want to fast-forward to the late 90s, you’re right. We see all types of striping. Aesthetics certainly changed, and loud was in! We saw diagonals, stars and mountain ranges next to the simplicity of the Red Wings and Original 6. You’re right. Around 1999, you saw great disparity in jersey designs. However, if you are to look at jerseys in a continuum, the Blues and Flames and Stars (which started to get wild and crazy) started from simpler, cleaner templates more becoming of “retro” style. Even the Gretzky-era Kings unis look pretty traditional against the 1999 ones (which I love, as an aside). So, the landscape begins to change here, and I think we’d all agree.

So, perhaps my confusion and subsequent posts are because different individuals are entering the hockey-uniform timeline at different junctures and coming at the changes we see today from different vantage points.

I don’t judge the Stars and Canes changes based on their decision to “simplify” their sweaters or use older templates, as some have. Why? Because, honestly, most teams look good with the “traditional” hockey-uniform template; the majority of MLB unis share a commonality. Same with the NFL. Some logos or fonts are louder, but most baseball and football teams look alike before we start getting into colors and color schemes.

I judge the changes based on gut feel. The Canes look bad not because of trying to look like Team Canada or the Red Wings; they just feel uninspired and haphazard, and shrinking the crest doesn’t do them any favors. The Stars, on the other hand, look sharp and clean. They might have used another team’s canvas of sorts, but they look unique and sleek. I wish judging these changes had more to do with gut feel and less to do with zooming in to see who copied whom.

Every jets logo prior to this one has been a wordmark. Why do you all want to go back to that?

There was a certain charm to the simplicity of the two old Jets logos/uniforms. The first was bad and the second was worse, but there's something about the Brave Corporate Logo that doesn't quite suit passionate grassroots support in the league's smallest city (I like the logo itself, but the color scheme and uniforms let me down). I wouldn't go back to either logo, but you can make persuasive arguments for updating of the basic concept of "Winnipeg Jets" in a circle with a stick and a plane. Maybe every logo can't and shouldn't be brilliant in the same way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

For the love of God man, nobody thinks that straight hem stripes automatically mean Original Six dress-up. We appreciate modern and unique striping patterns, absolutely, but in cases like the 90s Kings (Gretzky era and the late '90s set), you can look modern with straight hem stripes. Again, nobody has said that straight hem stripes make a jersey a wannabe old-school. Go back through the pages and try to find one post that says that.

What I'm saying is that the consensus around the hockey world (not just limited to this board, but the sentiment is felt here) is the following: The Canes, for example, are pretending to be an Original 6 team by gutting their unique and modern flags and warning squares and replacing them with simple, no-frills striping.

Can we agree on this point? This has been the takeaway reverberating around Twitter, Icethetics, here, message boards. PEOPLE DON’T LIKE THE CHANGES.

So, let’s stop at this point. I’m not telling you what I think. I’m simply reviewing what’s been stated.

The hockey universe has reacted much kinder to the Stars’ changes, but detractors have said they’re copying the Rangers and Hawks.

So, all I’ve said is that people who oppose the changes we’ve seen this off-season have made allusions to “the way it was” (presumably memories from their childhood). They’ll joke about the Whalers and North Stars and wish things could have stayed how they were in 1991.

So that’s why I chose that year in uniform aesthetics from nhluniforms.com. It was a “simpler” time, and it featured some people’s favorite ballyhooed jerseys and designs.

Taking a gander at the uniforms world back then, I was simply noting that besides the Nords (with the fleurs-de-lis), everyone uses traditional striping, which has been suggested as a marker of modern teams trying to look retro.

Now, if you want to fast-forward to the late 90s, you’re right. We see all types of striping. Aesthetics certainly changed, and loud was in! We saw diagonals, stars and mountain ranges next to the simplicity of the Red Wings and Original 6. You’re right. Around 1999, you saw great disparity in jersey designs. However, if you are to look at jerseys in a continuum, the Blues and Flames and Stars (which started to get wild and crazy) started from simpler, cleaner templates more becoming of “retro” style. Even the Gretzky-era Kings unis look pretty traditional against the 1999 ones (which I love, as an aside). So, the landscape begins to change here, and I think we’d all agree.

So, perhaps my confusion and subsequent posts are because different individuals are entering the hockey-uniform timeline at different junctures and coming at the changes we see today from different vantage points.

I don’t judge the Stars and Canes changes based on their decision to “simplify” their sweaters or use older templates, as some have. Why? Because, honestly, most teams look good with the “traditional” hockey-uniform template; the majority of MLB unis share a commonality. Same with the NFL. Some logos or fonts are louder, but most baseball and football teams look alike before we start getting into colors and color schemes.

I judge the changes based on gut feel. The Canes look bad not because of trying to look like Team Canada or the Red Wings; they just feel uninspired and haphazard, and shrinking the crest doesn’t do them any favors. The Stars, on the other hand, look sharp and clean. They might have used another team’s canvas of sorts, but they look unique and sleek. I wish judging these changes had more to do with gut feel and less to do with zooming in to see who copied whom.

Yes.

Fair points all around, and now I see where you're coming from. I like traditional teams in traditional looks and modern teams in modern looks; you prefer traditional and good looks on teams regardless of when they were established and regardless of what other teams are wearing. It's really just a matter of preference, though I wish we could have come to this "settlement" of sorts without the bickering. Agree to disagree, then?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Anaheim - Alt becomes home jersey, new matching road, purple Mighty Ducks throwback alt

Boston - Winter Classic brought back repalces current alt

Buffalo - Drop pit stains, front numbers and piping, bring back fauback alt

Calgary - Pre-edge set

Carolina - Go back to last week

Chicago - Bring back the heritage jersey from last year

Colorado - Pre-edge set

Columbus - Nothing

Dallas - Black outlines around the numbers

Detroit - Use Winter Classic as alt jersey

Edmonton - WHA orange jersey for alt

Florida - Pre-edge set, create a new alt

Los Angeles - Tweak the crown and the main crest, use purple heritage jerseys for alt

Minnesota - Cream version of red jersey for road with cream helmets/socks.

Montreal - Bring back white jersey with blue chest stripe as alt

Nashville - Remove cross piping at the hem, create a new alt

New Jersey - Nothing

New York Islanders - Burn the alt jerseys, replace home jersey with the right cup era jersey

New York Rangers - Nothing

Ottawa - Nothing, that edge template suits the Sens

Philadelphia - Use fauxbacks for alt

Phoenix - Hem stripes to both jerseys

Pittsburgh - Modify jerseys, keep colors and shorts the same, use cup jerseys for alt

St. Louis - New home and road jerseys

San Jose - Remove front numbers

Tampa Bay - Add black to the uniforms, use cup jersey for alt

Toronto - Nothing

Vancouver - Current alt for home jersey, white version for road, new alt with Johnny Canuck logo for crest

Washington - Go back to old socks

Winnipeg - Use 1980-90 Jets blue jersey for alt

Yes.

Fair points all around, and now I see where you're coming from. I like traditional teams in traditional looks and modern teams in modern looks; you prefer traditional and good looks on teams regardless of when they were established and regardless of what other teams are wearing. It's really just a matter of preference, though I wish we could have come to this "settlement" of sorts without the bickering. Agree to disagree, then?

Ok, I'll agree to that. Truce, Bubba Gump, Chrome, Cubs....??? On a related note, there's a whole post on the front of this forum about Original 6 Dress-Up....

I like this. I could tell you weren't getting across like you wanted to and this post did good job of elaborating your point of view, and quite effectively to say the least. I'm still in the Cubsfan crowd though ;)

While at work earlier I was actually thinking about the whole franchise history vs. current city debate as far where uniform inspiration should lie. For example, its become clear that some people think that if the Stars wanted to, they could revert back to any template and color scheme from the North Stars era. Others prefer that they honor their current market and cup winning era. The same could be applied to varying degrees to the situations in Colorado, Carolina, and Tampa Bay, who have all abandoned certain looks fans have identified with, for lackluster designs.

The question was, is there one route that is clearly better when redesigning your uniforms? I got to thinking about the Stars and the Hurricanes specifically because the North Stars and Whalers were two of the best outfitted teams in NHL history and the temptation to throwback to them has been clamored for by various fans. The problem I found here though is that although these franchises may have every right to homage these teams in any way they want, they do themselves no favors. It's not like the people of Dallas and Raleigh are like "gee, I sure do miss the old days when we were the North Stars/Whalers." You could make the case for transplants, old commited fans, and the like but there's a much larger contingent being ignored in this line of thinking, who have little to no ties to their teams' previous incarnations. Someone here once argued for the little gimmicks Nike pushed with the new Minnesota Vikings uniforms that conveyed it perfectly. He basically said that redesigns can either come on the form of "here, we thought this uniform looked nice, because it's simple and timeless" or it can be "here, we thought and cared about you so much as our fans that we went the extra mile to redesign the uniforms to reflect the unique potential of your team." I'm not saying organizations should push the envelope and put gradients and :censored: on everything for the sake of being unique, but on the other hand who are the Stars really embracing if they harken back to the North Stars? Themselves? The people of Dallas, Raleigh, and Tampa deserve better than that and it makes far more sense from a financial standpoint to embrace the fans by giving them something they can make their own.

Just my thoughts on things which stems from a few certain organizations' ridiculous claims that they are really giving the fans what they want.

Midway.png

I'm not saying organizations should push the envelope and put gradients and :censored: on everything for the sake of being unique, but on the other hand who are the Stars really embracing if they harken back to the North Stars? Themselves? The people of Dallas, Raleigh, and Tampa deserve better than that and it makes far more sense from a financial standpoint to embrace the fans by giving them something they can make their own.

Just my thoughts on things which stems from a few certain organizations' ridiculous claims that they are really giving the fans what they want.

Just speaking for the Stars here, but the new logo and uniforms are meant to be Dallas' own, while still having some continuity with the past. At least that is what Gaglardi and co. set out to do. Watching the full reveal for the Stars is pretty convincing too. Yes, the jerseys are green, but we as a fanbase have been clamoring for it. Gaglardi was initially thinking of going blue, but he heard so much fan feedback (and feedback from Mike Modano) that he changed his mind. So they went green, but at the same time, they eliminated gold in favor of silver. There is something new going on here. There is a new logo that has a connection to the North Stars, and yet will only have been worn in Dallas. We have a color scheme that is reminiscent of the North Star days, and yet will be worn for the first time in Dallas.

So the ownership is basically attempting to have the best of both worlds: look to the past, while creating something new and unique to Dallas for the future. How well they succeed is up to debate, but I'd say they did pretty well.

IMHO, the next teams to change uniforms will have to go modern instead of classic.

After MIN, TB, CAR, DAL...

If everybody goes "classic", all the teams will be lookalikes.

I know this has been the consensus, but how many teams truly look like another? Tampa does look like Toronto, yes. You want to make the case with the Canes? I guess. You're making it sound like an epidemic.

Clearly not an epidemic, Nashville changed up their look recently, right?

Please go to this 2mpzqd4.png

A lot of times, I sift through post after post like this to find news and interesting commentary, but I stopped at this image. It's really dope. Good job. Sometimes, people's desires are not even remotely close to the direction a team is going. This, to me, is actually feasible, and it really should be sent to the club. I like it !

Please go to this 2mpzqd4.png

That would easily take the Ducks from one of the more boring brands to one of the best. Throw in a Webbed D alt that either uses dark green or black and I think it's perfect.

70389454.png

Archived