2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

I really don't understand why the Phoenix Coyote's current identity get's almost universal acclaim on these boards... The inaugural set was never going to be considered a classic but at least it was a good visual representation of a hockey team playing in the desert... The colour palette was perfect and the logo can not be called "dated" because it was completely original. It doesn't represent the trends of the 90's, the 2000's or today... The current identity on the other hand is as dull and unoriginal as it gets. The aggressive logo is more "90's" than the "Picasso Coyote" and in a feat of truly bad design, is matched up with an uninspired striping pattern that looks about as far removed from the logo's as humanly possible... Hem-stripes or not, it's a bad identity

I like their logo set a lot actually, but everything else is about as lifeless as lifeless gets.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friz Quadrata doesn't at all lend itself to being smushed as much as it has to be for nameplate usage, so that's a fatal error right there.

I like the Picasso logo, but the color scheme for that set was just too much at once. I guess you could keep the colorful crest a la the Blackhawks, but strip the old uniforms down to brick, sand, and black.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

and the logo can not be called "dated" because it was completely original. It doesn't represent the trends of the 90's, the 2000's or today...

From a purely design and graphics perspective, I don't understand how anyone in their right mind can consider the Picasso logo more asthetically pleasing than what they have now.

Seriously: 86liul9vxxfapth3dt9z3cx6b.gif8lqmtthh0w2wgumr6goswqmki.gif

OttawaSenators.png

I really don't understand why the Phoenix Coyote's current identity get's almost universal acclaim on these boards... The inaugural set was never going to be considered a classic but at least it was a good visual representation of a hockey team playing in the desert... The colour palette was perfect and the logo can not be called "dated" because it was completely original. It doesn't represent the trends of the 90's, the 2000's or today... The current identity on the other hand is as dull and unoriginal as it gets. The aggressive logo is more "90's" than the "Picasso Coyote" and in a feat of truly bad design, is matched up with an uninspired striping pattern that looks about as far removed from the logo's as humanly possible... Hem-stripes or not, it's a bad identity

You know, I'm going to take a stab at this, not because I'm a Coyotes fan (I'm not), want the team to stay particularly long (Move 'em!), or because I love either look that much (I don't), but because I remember being in Junior High and hating the rebrand because it was so boring. This was also the time I thought the Flames' horsehead was the best look in the league and missed the Lightning's thunderstorm thirds, so I've grown up A LOT since then, and this is me rectifying those thoughts.

That logo and look might not be "dated", per se, but it is still representative of the wrong thing: that hockey in Phoenix is a gimmick. The crazy designs, the weird lines, the black and green and red and tan, the picasso coyote, purple in that logo, and so on...it just screamed that hockey was new and cool and not something to be taken seriously in the desert. Hell, they had cacti on their third jersey, with lizards climbing on the shoulders! How can anybody take that seriously? It's a joke!

But then came this classic sweater, brick red, darker than usual. Vintage white didn't exist then, rather, this was "vintage red", and it fit the desert. And the logo, brick red and tan. Simple. Coyote head howling. Looked realistic, looked classy. looked like it had been around for a while. You combine those two, and you have something that looks legitimately like a hockey team. A good hockey team. Not a gimmick. Serious, real, National Hockey League hockey. No lizards crawling around, no cartoon mascots with sticks, this was a team that was supposed to be taken seriously.

And why wouldn't you love that?

Think about it, the team switched when the vintage series was introduced and Minnesota had the most classic-looking all-star game ever. The Yotes took it the most serious and made their whole look vintage, rather than a few games here and there like others, and still so many teams were stuck with overly modern looks (Mooterus, Pooh Bear, Mustard, Nucks Fade). They were ahead of the curve. They were the first "fauxback" team in the NHL, and that deserves some recognition.

Maybe now it looks boring. We're in a sea of vintage looks and now it looks stale, it blends in, it doesn't pop. But for what it was, when it was...it deserves some love.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

*mask photos*

Kari Lehtonen's New Mask

I wish they'd post a full shot of the right side of the mask.

It's most likely a just mirror image

Look at the overhead view; it's definitely not a mirror image.

That logo and look might not be "dated", per se, but it is still representative of the wrong thing: that hockey in Phoenix is a gimmick.

But at this point, wherein the league is subsidizing the purchase with interest-free loans and subsidizing the operations of the team with revenue-sharing provisions that apply to no other teams, it is a gimmick, n'est-ce pas? Don't just let them embrace their goofy novelty status, make them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like the Picasso logo, but the color scheme for that set was just too much at once. I guess you could keep the colorful crest a la the Blackhawks, but strip the old uniforms down to brick, sand, and black.

I like this idea. The jerseys were much more dated to me than the Picasso logo. I'm not sure there's been anything like it before or since, so it's hard for me to classify it in a timeframe. It doesn't really fit what was typical of its era (in any league).

Unique doesn't fly for long in sports, I guess. Teal, road pinstripes, non-hemlined hockey jerseys... let's all conform. The new Coyote is fine, but could be used for any Coyotes team, anywhere. If anything, keep the simpler jerseys, but bring back the busy logo. Won't happen, though.

The Picaso logo had way more character and personality. The Coyote head is a fine logo, but it's lifeless and dull. I'd personally love the see the Picaso logo in the current colour scheme, as someone posted earlier I think.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

You know, I'm going to take a stab at this, not because I'm a Coyotes fan (I'm not), want the team to stay particularly long (Move 'em!), or because I love either look that much (I don't), but because I remember being in Junior High and hating the rebrand because it was so boring. This was also the time I thought the Flames' horsehead was the best look in the league and missed the Lightning's thunderstorm thirds, so I've grown up A LOT since then, and this is me rectifying those thoughts.

That logo and look might not be "dated", per se, but it is still representative of the wrong thing: that hockey in Phoenix is a gimmick. The crazy designs, the weird lines, the black and green and red and tan, the picasso coyote, purple in that logo, and so on...it just screamed that hockey was new and cool and not something to be taken seriously in the desert. Hell, they had cacti on their third jersey, with lizards climbing on the shoulders! How can anybody take that seriously? It's a joke!

But then came this classic sweater, brick red, darker than usual. Vintage white didn't exist then, rather, this was "vintage red", and it fit the desert. And the logo, brick red and tan. Simple. Coyote head howling. Looked realistic, looked classy. looked like it had been around for a while. You combine those two, and you have something that looks legitimately like a hockey team. A good hockey team. Not a gimmick. Serious, real, National Hockey League hockey. No lizards crawling around, no cartoon mascots with sticks, this was a team that was supposed to be taken seriously.

Think about it, the team switched when the vintage series was introduced and Minnesota had the most classic-looking all-star game ever. The Yotes took it the most serious and made their whole look vintage, rather than a few games here and there like others, and still so many teams were stuck with overly modern looks (Mooterus, Pooh Bear, Mustard, Nucks Fade). They were ahead of the curve. They were the first "fauxback" team in the NHL, and that deserves some recognition.

Maybe now it looks boring. We're in a sea of vintage looks and now it looks stale, it blends in, it doesn't pop. But for what it was, when it was...it deserves some love.

Well said. I like the original logo, but you can put me in the camp that likes their current look.

Reminds me of the Blue Jackets...those first jerseys they rolled out with that had Stinger on the shoulders just screamed "new team!". Their current uniforms look like a team that has been around longer than 13 years.

Not to say I dislike the picassoyote...i'm not the biggest fan because I'm no fan of surrealism, but I get it. And their current logo is alright, but it is a bit drab (I like the description of the "yawning coyote"). I would be very satisfied with a new look that is classy in color scheme and style, but pays homage to the original with hints of Native culture. A Southwest Native American coyote without being picasso or a skating cartoon. That's something I could get behind.

Reminds me of the Blue Jackets...those first jerseys they rolled out with that had Stinger on the shoulders just screamed "new team!". Their current uniforms look like a team that has been around longer than 13 years.

And I'll agree with that wholeheartedly. That's the goal, isn't it? To fit in with the big boys? Minnesota seemed to do it pretty well from the start, and now the others are catching up. Some might call it bland, i call it looking like a hockey team.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Technically it is a better logo than the Picassoyote. That was an OK logo in its own right but it's also a bit of a mess. The current logo, while not particularly interesting, does look more like it belongs to a team that's been around for 16 years. Problem is, 5 of the 9 years that logo's been in use, it's been associated with bankruptcy, threats to move the team, prospective owner after prospective owner with no money, empty seats, and bleeding the City of Glendale dry. It's got too much negativity attached to it. They need to start fresh with a new logo.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

*mask photos*

Kari Lehtonen's New Mask

I wish they'd post a full shot of the right side of the mask.

It's most likely a just mirror image

Look at the overhead view; it's definitely not a mirror image.

Not a mirror image, but just a D facing the other way is what I meant.

Brilliantly stated ! I agree :)

with piccasoyote, if they went with just

4w1srrv4rmum139lchzb1b526.gif

I could be happy with that reworked.

Something like this would work. I still don't think the full bodied Picasso Coyote is any good, recoloured or not.

4w1srrv4rmum139lchzb1b526_zpsf5d4ea34.pn

I suppose that could work? I mean it has more meaning behind than the yawning coyote (I like that term) which helps.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived