2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

but let's face it, Minnesota is the only team to do fauxback truly right. They've never been "boring" or "minimalist" to the point of looking bad. They never pulled a Lightning, they never truly destroyed their look like the Hurricanes, and they never made an abomination like the one the Stars just switched from.

Their red alt was classy, but it didn't look like any other jersey in NHL history. The greens might have a baseball-like logo, but it's still different and looks great. And frankly, as much as we look back on their original look nostalgically, it was very 2000s and I think we'd be sick of it now if it never changed. Minnesota will probably continue to pretend to be a century-old team, but they're going to do it really well. I have faith.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but let's face it, Minnesota is the only team to do fauxback truly right. They've never been "boring" or "minimalist" to the point of looking bad. They never pulled a Lightning, they never truly destroyed their look like the Hurricanes, and they never made an abomination like the one the Stars just switched from.

Oh, I agree completely. I'm a fan of their original progressive set, but I've loved both of their fauxback looks as well. I'd just like them to pick a look at this point. If they want to go with the roundel, commit to the roundel. If they feel the script is the way to go, then embrace that. This "three different sweaters, and none of them match" nonsense is what bugs me about the Wild's identity. Not their preference for older aesthetics. Minnesota's NHL team should probably look a bit traditional anyway.

call me crazy, but the wild's name alone means they shouldn't be wearing traditional uniforms...

i know "wild" can also mean a shortened form of the inclusive noun "wilderness," but it hits my ear as an adjective every single time. if nothing else, it's the same format/cadence as a WNBA team, a minor league team, or a post 2000's expansion team... the latter is actually true, and there's nothing wrong with that.

but something about putting that modern-classic logo inside a historical looking roundel is a travesty. not only are you marginalizing the saving grace of your identity, but you're also putting a modern sharp logo in a setting that doesn't make sense.

the twin cities can pull off a traditional themed hockey team, even if that team has no history... but step one of that identity shouldn't have been going with mountain dew colors, the name "Wild" and this logo. ever since that day, they've been trying to slowly drag themselves away from that identity, and to me, it just isn't working. they either need to go with a less dated name (and for the love of god, they can't just be the north stars) and totally rebrand around it, or they need to stay true to their roots as the minnesota wild, go with respectably modern uniforms, and showcase their primary logo as such.

to summarize, i feel like they're trying to go the houston texans route. very modern and young franchise in a market almost synonymous with their sport, after losing very well established and beloved identities that relocated. the texans came up with a clean, sharp, modern identity that isn't a copy of any other team's style, but also not a so called "clown suit" either... the wild want to be the texans, but they're turning out more like the tampa bay rays. young expansion team with no history, that is trotting out a bland lifeless "retro" look, paired with a name that doesn't fit that aesthetic.

call me crazy... but that's my 2 cents.

Another beauty shot of the Stars new uniform...

1176331_10153164884045215_1520043496_n.j

Its not that bad of a jersey, its pretty good looking. On a sidenote, am I the only one who like's Buffalo's idea for the 3rd's C & A? I also hope Minnesota doesn't mess up on their new roads as well.

man I love that logo.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Just because you think only six or so generic templates could ever possibly work doesn't make that the reality.

And just because you act like traditional/conservative designs are the spawn of Satan doesn't make that the reality.
I don't - in fact, there are plenty of traditional uniforms that I really like (i.e. sleeve-horn Rams; Spurs; A's). I just feel they aren't the ideal option for every team.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Get the 6 or 8 best templates and simply work off them.

Is any NFL team breaking ground uniform-wise? No. How many templates exist?

MLB??

There is absolutely no reason to have 30 different templates. NONE.

The difference between hockey and other sports uniforms is that you have much more room for creativity, to the point where not only the team's logo and colour scheme, but also their striping, becomes a part of any given team's identity.

The idea of a small few templates works in, say, basketball, because the jersey is basically a vest. Likewise with football, it's a short sleeved shirt with huge numbers on the front that leaves very liitle room for anything else, so, no hemstripes in football. And again with baseball.

Not every team has to look the same. Not every team has to be radically different. It's OK to build around a basic traditional template, but it's also great to try something that nobody else has done before. It's what makes each team unique. It's why generic click-and-fill template uniforms like the Avs, Pens, Sens, and Panthers suck. It's also why blatantly derivative uniforms such the Lightning and Hurricanes suck.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

call me crazy, but the wild's name alone means they shouldn't be wearing traditional uniforms...

i know "wild" can also mean a shortened form of the inclusive noun "wilderness," but it hits my ear as an adjective every single time. if nothing else, it's the same format/cadence as a WNBA team, a minor league team, or a post 2000's expansion team... the latter is actually true, and there's nothing wrong with that.

but something about putting that modern-classic logo inside a historical looking roundel is a travesty. not only are you marginalizing the saving grace of your identity, but you're also putting a modern sharp logo in a setting that doesn't make sense.

the twin cities can pull off a traditional themed hockey team, even if that team has no history... but step one of that identity shouldn't have been going with mountain dew colors, the name "Wild" and this logo. ever since that day, they've been trying to slowly drag themselves away from that identity, and to me, it just isn't working. they either need to go with a less dated name (and for the love of god, they can't just be the north stars) and totally rebrand around it, or they need to stay true to their roots as the minnesota wild, go with respectably modern uniforms, and showcase their primary logo as such.

to summarize, i feel like they're trying to go the houston texans route. very modern and young franchise in a market almost synonymous with their sport, after losing very well established and beloved identities that relocated. the texans came up with a clean, sharp, modern identity that isn't a copy of any other team's style, but also not a so called "clown suit" either... the wild want to be the texans, but they're turning out more like the tampa bay rays. young expansion team with no history, that is trotting out a bland lifeless "retro" look, paired with a name that doesn't fit that aesthetic.

Wild01.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

On 8/27/2013 at 2:43 AM, ColeJ said:

You are crazy.

I have uttered variations of this sentence over and over. In long form, they came up with a terrible name, partially redeemed themselves with an outstanding logo, and are now hiding it more and more every time they make a move.

I don't know that it is necessarily wrong to mix in some "traditional" features with the "ultra-modern" name and logo, but I'd really like to see them pick one. Actually, I am starting to think that this new road jersey will be a white version of the red home, so it looks like they have decided to go with a faux-retro look. I don't think that's wrong in and of itself, but I do feel that shrinking down this great logo is a disappointment and I really wish they'd essentially go to the original set with maybe the red uniform as an alt.

Therefore I don't think they need to change their name to go this route. On a name change in general I am torn. Generally speaking I HATE when teams just change their names. Even Bobcats to Hornets. I like continuity. But I may be supportive in this case because the name is that bad. In any case, it's a non-issue. I don't hear much complaining about it and fans gobble up every piece of merchandise they sell (which is what probably led to the marginalizing of the logo in the first place; the unbelievable sales of the original red alt). In any case, I don't agree with the premise that the Wild cannot have an "old time hockey" look. Though I'd rather they did not.

I am not quite seeing the Wild trying to be the Texans and ending up the Rays. But I will say this for the Texans...they are sticking with their original look and 100% of their identity is the same as day 1. The Wild cannot say that. As a fan, I don't quite know to what extent they identify with that logo any more. So it most definitely is time for them to be consistent. It looks like they are going that way with the little logo shrunk into the big circle (and not even included on the alt).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but apparently the October 13th game VS Ottawa is when the Ducks are bringing out the eggplant jersey.

Funnily enough, I'm going to be in Ottawa that day.

You are going, right? RIGHT?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but apparently the October 13th game VS Ottawa is when the Ducks are bringing out the eggplant jersey.

You are going, right? RIGHT?

The game's actually in Anaheim.

I should be kicking myself right now, but I know I'm going to end up catching the game anyway.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Did you hear that (eggplant jersey) from somebody, or are you just speculating? I was kind of hoping they brought out the white.

You know what happens when teams think they can "reinvent the wheel ?" You end up with the Sharks and Panthers. Or maybe the Suns and Dolphins and Marlins?

Or maybe the Wild before they ruined their identity with non-matching fauxbacks? Their original look was a modern classic without needing to look exactly like an Original 6 team.

Or how about the Hurricanes? They too had a modern classic with the flag striping and threw it away in order to look like a combo of the Wings and Leafs.

And that's just hockey. Believe it or not, those old designs you love so much and want to see on every team once started out as brand new designs that "reinvented the wheel" too.

Obviously, I'm in favor of the Wild/ Canes/Avs/Flames, etc. keeping what they had before RBK came in.

Since that is not in the cards (reverting to former design), you would rather teams like the Flames and Avs stay status quo? I'm just trying to pin down your opinion.

We all agree they should have stayed in their pre-RBK duds. So, since six or so years have gone by and no changes appear to be in the offing, would you rather teams like Calgary and Colorado stay put?

Also, let's be clear; I'm being a little sarcastic when I talk about click and fill. OBVIOUSLY, there are ways to take what basically works and then tailor it to be personal to you.

The Canes' present look doesn't suck because they "stole" elements of a Wings/ Team Canada sweater; it sucks because it failed to incorporate what made them unique. You could VERY EASILY keep what they came up with and simply input the warning flags in between the stripes, no?

I agree with you about the great Wild away template. So, why not make that one of the 10 or so teams should choose from. My gawd, let the Avs play around with that instead of wearing the garbage they do at present.

Another beauty shot of the Stars new uniform...

1176331_10153164884045215_1520043496_n.j

Its not that bad of a jersey, its pretty good looking. On a sidenote, am I the only one who like's Buffalo's idea for the 3rd's C & A? I also hope Minnesota doesn't mess up on their new roads as well.

I like the C / A, too, for what it's worth.

There's no world in which the Senators and Penguins wearing the same template isn't crap on a stick. With everything that you can do with a hockey sweater, and everything that you can do for those particular identities, it's inexcusable.

Preach on, my brotha!

Minnesota Wild teaser number two:

BSrvJQbCMAECiee.jpg

That's a weird looking green.

Why's that? Seems forest green, no?

Unless that's just a bad picture, that shade of green doesn't match the green from the first teaser (at least that's what it seems like to me).

Was there a secret planned trade to Florida that we didn't know about?

It's almost dead on the logo.

It's just a repaint of his Kings mask

Image-5.jpg

The Lion face at least made sense for a team called the Kings, with "King of the Jungle," "Lion King," etc. I don't see how it works now that he's a Leaf?

Lion Leaf? Dandelion? :suspect:

I'll actually take a crack at this one, not because I'm a fan of the name Wild, but as a historian. At the time, the Wild seemed like a leftover name of the 90s, akin to the Rocky Mountain Extreme (which was nearly the Avs' name). Sometimes, it still feels that way, dated. Not very good for imagining a logo, either. But Minnesota, in recent years, has been really playing up the history of hockey in their state, even though the franchise is very young, the history is there. Wild sounds like one of those really old names where you say, "what were they thinking?" when you compare it with modern names. Is Maple Leafs any better? Canadiens? Maroons? Americans? Even Flyers. Look to the only league older than the NHL, with the Red Sox, White Sox, Reds, Dodgers, and so on. Doesn't Wild fit in there rather well? Surprisingly well? It's vague, like all the rest.

Maybe this team started out as a product of its time, but they realized that they're an old soul and have been trying to fit in with their era ever since. Just a theory.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived