2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Regardless of their year of establishment, to me throwback uniforms make sense for any Minnesota franchise. Their fan-base is large, and has been around long enough.

I feel like it makes sense for them to be as retro as they want. I do have problem with completely mismatched jerseys, though. Minor differences are okay, up to the point where they look like 2 different green and red teams.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

call me crazy, but the wild's name alone means they shouldn't be wearing traditional uniforms...

i know "wild" can also mean a shortened form of the inclusive noun "wilderness," but it hits my ear as an adjective every single time. if nothing else, it's the same format/cadence as a WNBA team, a minor league team, or a post 2000's expansion team... the latter is actually true, and there's nothing wrong with that.

but something about putting that modern-classic logo inside a historical looking roundel is a travesty. not only are you marginalizing the saving grace of your identity, but you're also putting a modern sharp logo in a setting that doesn't make sense.

the twin cities can pull off a traditional themed hockey team, even if that team has no history... but step one of that identity shouldn't have been going with mountain dew colors, the name "Wild" and this logo. ever since that day, they've been trying to slowly drag themselves away from that identity, and to me, it just isn't working. they either need to go with a less dated name (and for the love of god, they can't just be the north stars) and totally rebrand around it, or they need to stay true to their roots as the minnesota wild, go with respectably modern uniforms, and showcase their primary logo as such.

to summarize, i feel like they're trying to go the houston texans route. very modern and young franchise in a market almost synonymous with their sport, after losing very well established and beloved identities that relocated. the texans came up with a clean, sharp, modern identity that isn't a copy of any other team's style, but also not a so called "clown suit" either... the wild want to be the texans, but they're turning out more like the tampa bay rays. young expansion team with no history, that is trotting out a bland lifeless "retro" look, paired with a name that doesn't fit that aesthetic.

call me crazy... but that's my 2 cents.

I'll actually take a crack at this one, not because I'm a fan of the name Wild, but as a historian. At the time, the Wild seemed like a leftover name of the 90s, akin to the Rocky Mountain Extreme (which was nearly the Avs' name). Sometimes, it still feels that way, dated. Not very good for imagining a logo, either. But Minnesota, in recent years, has been really playing up the history of hockey in their state, even though the franchise is very young, the history is there. Wild sounds like one of those really old names where you say, "what were they thinking?" when you compare it with modern names. Is Maple Leafs any better? Canadiens? Maroons? Americans? Even Flyers. Look to the only league older than the NHL, with the Red Sox, White Sox, Reds, Dodgers, and so on. Doesn't Wild fit in there rather well? Surprisingly well? It's vague, like all the rest.

Maybe this team started out as a product of its time, but they realized that they're an old soul and have been trying to fit in with their era ever since. Just a theory.

First, yeah, I think Wild is worse than every single name you compared it to (outside of Rocky Mountain Extreme). Many may be names that nobody would use for a new team today, but you can envision most of them and at the very least, they end in "s" (or in the "sox" case, sound like they do). It's much more in line with Heat, Magic and Thunder (but still worse since at least the meanings are more inherently obvious)

But you have an interesting take. I personally don't really believe they chose "Wild" to sound like Maple Leafs (or something that nobody would use today), but maybe it has that affect on some people. Not me. To me it's just a stupid name they chose because of the need to find a name that no pro, college, high school, roller derby, or fantasy football team has ever used. I'd honestly rather they'd have called themselves the Eagles (there are eagles in Minnesota) and subjected the name to criticisms of "lazy" than what they did.

According to the Wild Wikipedia page, the finalists were Blue Ox, Freeze, Northern Lights, Voyageurs, White Bears, and Wild. Freeze is pretty bad, but I still think Wild is the worst of the bunch. Freeze is like Heat. Blue Ox and White Bears are at least animals (and blue ox has significance here), though I'd rather "Polars" than "White Bears". Northern Lights is a struggle because it's singular with an "s" at the end. Anyway, of these, my pick would probably have been Blue Ox...but I have digressed too much.

But as I said in other posts, no matter how "overly modern" the name seems, it does not mean that they cannot try to play on Minnesota as a traditional hockey state by having traditional uniforms.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't want to get this thread off-topic as this issue has been discussed in other threads, but I will bring it up again for those that don't know the history.

The following 6 names were the finalists for the franchise, and Wild was ultimately unveiled in January 1998.

Blue Ox

Freeze

Northern Lights

Voyageurs

White Bears

Wild

It is worth noting that the Minnesota Moose, who replaced the North Stars in the market, were in existence from 1994-1996 before relocating to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

So if the Twin Cities were awarded an expansion team today, would Moose be a good pick or even a finalist? Could they bring back North Stars? Similar to Red Sox-White Sox? Stars-North Stars?

I don't want to get this thread off-topic as this issue has been discussed in other threads, but I will bring it up again for those that don't know the history.

The following 6 names were the finalists for the franchise, and Wild was ultimately unveiled in January 1998.

Blue Ox

Freeze

Northern Lights

Voyageurs

White Bears

Wild

Minnesota Wild is the only respectable name on that list.

Blue Ox: Horrible

Freeze: Sounds bad and too cartoony

Northern Lights: A bad take on the North Stars name

Voyageurs: Good name, but not for Minnesota

White Bears: Anything Bear-related reminds me too much of Bruins

I'm glad they made the right choice.

Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but apparently the October 13th game VS Ottawa is when the Ducks are bringing out the eggplant jersey.

Funnily enough, I'm going to be in Ottawa that day.

Did you hear that (eggplant jersey) from somebody, or are you just speculating? I was kind of hoping they brought out the white.

I happened to be lurking on the official Ducks boards, and saw in this thread:

October 13th vs Ottawa

(it is on the presale email sent to season seat holders)

They will be wearing the Eggplant jersey,

---

Wasn't it confirmed that the Ducks were bringing them both out at some point? I'm willing to bet on the white jersey appearing in the Stadium Series game, but there's rumours of a black, orange and gold version of it being used.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Blue Ox

Freeze

Northern Lights

Voyageurs

White Bears

Wild

Minnesota Wild is the only respectable name on that list.

Blue Ox: Horrible

Freeze: Sounds bad and too cartoony

Northern Lights: A bad take on the North Stars name

Voyageurs: Good name, but not for Minnesota

White Bears: Anything Bear-related reminds me too much of Bruins

I'm glad they made the right choice.

Wild was definitely the best of the worst.

I always thought Muskies would have been cool, the name used by the old ABA team. Fish are sort of scarce in pro sports, with the NHL just having the Sharks. Birds seem to dominate overall, being 12-4, counting the Rays and Dolphins. We need more fish damn it.

sig.png

I actually kinda like White Bears. But the Bruins probably wouldn't. They complained about Pittsburgh being black and gold, and they'd also complain about another bear themed team being in the league.

So if the Twin Cities were awarded an expansion team today, would Moose be a good pick or even a finalist? Could they bring back North Stars? Similar to Red Sox-White Sox? Stars-North Stars?

If the Stars changed their name upon their relocation, the Minnesota franchise likely would have been allowed to use the North Stars name. As it is now, the Stars still own all the rights to the name and such, so that ain't happening anytime soon. It would be like letting the former Atlanta Thrashers dress up as the Flames for a day.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Minnesota Wild teaser number two:

BSrvJQbCMAECiee.jpg

Coloured laces? Blah.

Also, the eyelets they use are the old-school type. Most eyelets are simple white circles (eg. the Leafs primaries). These, however, are the "authentic" old-school type that the Leafs use on their third jerseys (IIRC, the Habs used them on their centennial throwbacks, though I can't think f anyone else who uses them).

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Minnesota Wild teaser number two:

BSrvJQbCMAECiee.jpg

Coloured laces? Blah.

Also, the eyelets they use are the old-school type. Most eyelets are simple white circles (eg. the Leafs primaries). These, however, are the "authentic" old-school type that the Leafs use on their third jerseys (IIRC, the Habs used them on their centennial throwbacks, though I can't think f anyone else who uses them).

-BigBubba

Do you think the latest reveal supports the idea of the shoulder yoke?

Yeah. The Dallas Stars have been proud of and protective of the North Stars identity as their own since day one. They'd never let the Wild use it.

Which is why I stayed on as a fan of the franchise after the North Stars left.

You know, I've always wondered what percent of a team's fans stay with them after they move cities. None of my teams have ever moved, so it's hard to say. I probably would, but if they went all Nationals/Hornets and pretended that *my* team never existed, then I'd be pretty ticked, but I doubt I'd be able to completely abandon a team I've cheered on for years.

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Yeah. The Dallas Stars have been proud of and protective of the North Stars identity as their own since day one. They'd never let the Wild use it.

Which is why I stayed on as a fan of the franchise after the North Stars left.

You know, I've always wondered what percent of a team's fans stay with them after they move cities. None of my teams have ever moved, so it's hard to say. I probably would, but if they went all Nationals/Hornets and pretended that *my* team never existed, then I'd be pretty ticked, but I doubt I'd be able to completely abandon a team I've cheered on for years.

-BigBubba

No idea on the percentages. When the Stars made the 1999 finals, I was cheering against 'em for sour grapes reasons. But most of my friends were cheering for 'em (particularly those few players still from the North Stars days). My anecdotal evidence is that few truly stayed "fans" of the team during regular season, etc., but most people looked at their wins and losses as being about the players, which included fan fave Mike Modano. Some were pissed at the franchise.

Whatever feelings there were softened with 1) the Wild and 2) time. For me, one of the "haters," those things have helped make Dallas pretty much just another team.

The Giant Octo, I am guessing, is not from Minnesota and I think fans like that tend to weather moves pretty well, particularly if a team keeps much of the identity...For example a random Rams fan from West Virginia may not have been bothered by the move to St. L, whereas an LA Native is "losing" his team.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

-BigBubba

I'm telling you I can really pick them. I grew up in and live in the greater Toronto area and the North Stars were my favourite team. When I got into hockey in 1979 they were my favourite, and as the years grew I became more and more passionate. Do you want to know what my 2nd and 3rd favourite teams were growing up? The Hartford Whalers and the Colorado Rockies!!

All three teams ended up relocating. I don't care at all about the Hurricanes or Devils but I stuck with the Stars mainly because of my passion for them and the identity that they kept. If they became the "Dallas Beef Jerkys" I don't know if I would have remained a fan.

The Catch of the Day!

A bit different but as a little kid I identified with the Houston oilers and green bay packers as my teams. As time went on I felt more an oilers fan than any other football team. When tyhe left and became the titans, I stayed on and it was a real treat to see them in oilers throwbacks a few years back... But that's not an average case because I was a young teen when they moved, a casual fan at best, and from North Texas, not Houston.

Was there a secret planned trade to Florida that we didn't know about?

It's almost dead on the logo.

It's just a repaint of his Kings mask

Image-5.jpg

The Lion face at least made sense for a team called the Kings, with "King of the Jungle," "Lion King," etc. I don't see how it works now that he's a Leaf?

Lion Leaf? Dandelion? :suspect:

*bill burr voice* Lion's are f***ing cool, man!

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Eddie Belfour on mescaline.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Eddie Belfour on mescaline.

I'm sure that was a thing that happened at some point.

What a hideous mask. Man, I hate this stupid Khabibulin signing. Was there really no one else to keep Rantaa's spot warm?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived