2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The alternative that I would love to see (in a fantasy world, anyway) would be silver breezers. But light colors have never worked in the NHL, and it's been nearly 40 years since any team attempted it on a recurring basis.

I've advocated the use of grey before for their breezers and other applications. Close enough to silver, and still manages to be a dark color. Then all you have to do is relegate the black to tertiary color status and you'd have an original color scheme. It'd look most similar to Ohio State's athletics and we all know how well that look has served their image.

It doesn't work

Niagara-Hockey.jpgSetWidth300-hockey.jpg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who actually prefers the Sens' current logo to the original version?

Only because they don't use this:

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

The old logo doesn't look strong enough to me (perhaps the lack of bold lines or something). If they used the modernized version they never ever use I'd be happy with their logo.

Does the team actually use this logo (aside from the score bugs or whatever they're called)?

I've seen some hats and t-shirts that use it, and Bishop has it on his mask. Other than that it's pretty much non-existent. While the profile logo is much better than the forward facing one, I've become less fond of the gladiator head as a logo. I thought it was cool when I was a kid but as I've gotten older I've realized that it was initially created as a marketing ploy to cash in on the popularity of 'cartoony' logos in the '90s (San Jose, Anaheim, etc.), and has absolutely nothing to do with Ottawa or Senators.

The alternative that I would love to see (in a fantasy world, anyway) would be silver breezers. But light colors have never worked in the NHL, and it's been nearly 40 years since any team attempted it on a recurring basis.

I've advocated the use of grey before for their breezers and other applications. Close enough to silver, and still manages to be a dark color. Then all you have to do is relegate the black to tertiary color status and you'd have an original color scheme. It'd look most similar to Ohio State's athletics and we all know how well that look has served their image.

It doesn't work

Niagara-Hockey.jpgSetWidth300-hockey.jpg

Not so big on that lighter gray, but what about a dark, slate/charcoal gray? I can see a Red/Dark Gray/Black color scheme working well for Carolina.

That's not bad.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

They don't look alike to the extent that one is a classic and one is a piece of crap. But if you're watching a game, a red splotch is more or less a red splotch.

Wrong. The Hurricanes jerseys are modern classics which is why they have remained basically unchanged since 1997. The pre-edge iterations in particular looked pretty close to perfect in my view. The hurricane warning striping manages a unique motif without going to over the top and the addition of black and silver saves them from looking like a Red Wings rip off. Oh... and like or not they have history...

canesstanleycup1.jpg

If the RBK catalogue is accurate, the Canes will be getting new home and away jerseys. I'm hoping all they do is remove the phantom yokes and straighten out the tapered sleeve stripes. If they start playing original 6 dress up I will cry

I wouldn't change the hurricanes look. It's fine.

Am I the only one who actually prefers the Sens' current logo to the original version?

Nope. I find the current logo quite visually pleasing.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Nope. I find the current logo quite visually pleasing.

Thank you! It's not that the old logo was bad, but the new one is definitely better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Hurricanes jerseys are modern classics

Their logo looks like a toilet flushing

It's hard to make an effective hurricane logo without it looking much like a flushing toilet. I think their sweaters are mostly pretty decent, they're just using a rather un-hurricane-like set of colors.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't have a problem with the hurricane logo. People are so quick to associate it with something negative/humorous, but it's actually constructed quite nicely. Never been a huge fan of their jerseys though...they always look kind of square compared to their logo which is flowing and circular.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

The old logo doesn't look strong enough to me (perhaps the lack of bold lines or something). If they used the modernized version they never ever use I'd be happy with their logo.

Does the team actually use this logo (aside from the score bugs or whatever they're called)?

Unfortunately, that's a discontinued mark.

It's not part of their graphics package any longer.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

Unfortunately, that's a discontinued mark.

It's not part of their graphics package any longer.

Gentlemen, tonight we march on Ottawa.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In my perfect world the Senators would drop the Roman theme all together. It was a loose connection at best. The =O= mark and the shield logo work for a city with as much hockey history as Ottawa.

In my perfect world the Senators would drop the Roman theme all together. It was a loose connection at best. The =O= mark and the shield logo work for a city with as much hockey history as Ottawa.

I always thought the roman thing did not have its place there.

Maybe we are going to see the Canes move the flag logo to the chest of the home and roads.

IMO, that would be disastrous. It's good, but not strong enough to be a primary.

Yuck, I hate the black on black alternate. The 'Canes have one of the better looks in the NHL right now. I think all they need is a new alternate uniform. I could see some minor changes being made with the primaries, but they're going to have to come up with something awesome to beat what they've got.

I totally agree with this. I would love to see the =O= logo become more prominent, though.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

The Sens original set was one of my favorite looks of all time, especially the all black road uniforms. That was their look long before Dallas or San Jose started using it.

Dallas had all blacks from the time they were in Minnesota through the 98-99 season. Carolina didn't come into existence until 97-98.

usa-sm.giffinland-sm.gifstars1-sm.gifdall1-sm.gif

altogether

And while the connection may be tenuous, the original primary and the one they never use now are terrific primaries, and could set the tone for really good uniforms. The Sens ought to try it one of these days.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived