2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

If the Wings are going to use vintage white instead of normal white to say "We've been around for a near century and look, these jerseys are so old like us, they've yellowed with time!" I would like to see them use a darker red (almost burgandy) with it, kind of like the color of the helmets in the 70's and 80's:

yzerman1.jpg

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Wings are going to use vintage white instead of normal white to say "We've been around for a near century and look, these jerseys are so old like us, they've yellowed with time!" I would like to see them use a darker red (almost burgandy) with it, kind of like the color of the helmets in the 70's and 80's:

yzerman1.jpg

I too would have liked to see them use a darker red. It would look better with the vintage white than their regular red.

I've been a defender of the Flyers' contrasting nameplates since they reverted back to them full-time because of the historical presence, but I've given up: they're dumb. Philly needs to change them. Like now.

I've been a defender of the Flyers' contrasting nameplates since they reverted back to them full-time because of the historical presence, but I've given up: they're dumb. Philly needs to change them. Like now.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Ive been saying it for 2 years. I love it on the orange jerseys, hate it on the white ones.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

I think the Flyers current jerseys are horrible. There should be black trim between the orange and white. And the numbers look horrible how they overlap the shoulder stripe.

giroux.jpg

This was their best look and they should go back...

eric_lindros.jpgJohnLeClair.jpg

The top pics is the Stanley cup champs Flyers unis.

No, sorry, I LOVE the current Flyers kits, including name plates.

If you remove any historical or emotional aspects to the unis and only look at this on the graphic point of vue, I'd say you are right about those black lines.

Its not that easy...

Vintage white does look nice, but it never really existed in sports. Anything that looks vintage white today, was just white at the time.

Incorrect. Baseball uniforms used to be made of wool until 1972. At that time, they didn't have technology to dye wool white, so the home jerseys were actually an off-white, as close as they could get. Teams like the SF Giants try to mimic the color of those wool jerseys today by using cream-colored home sets. I can't say for sure, but I would guess early hockey sweaters were also wool, so they wouldn't have been white, either.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Kings are wearing forum blue and gold to honor Ian Laperrière, a player who wore the Gretzky set for three years and the inaugural black and purple set for six.

The Kings - just like the Lakers - stopped referring to their primary color as "Forum Blue" in 1981.

"Royal Purple".

Vintage white does look nice, but it never really existed in sports. Anything that looks vintage white today, was just white at the time.

Incorrect. Baseball uniforms used to be made of wool until 1972. At that time, they didn't have technology to dye wool white, so the home jerseys were actually an off-white, as close as they could get. Teams like the SF Giants try to mimic the color of those wool jerseys today by using cream-colored home sets. I can't say for sure, but I would guess early hockey sweaters were also wool, so they wouldn't have been white, either.

Idk, looks pretty white to me:

RED_KELLY_DETROIT_COLOR_PHOTO_display_image_display_image.jpgHowe_display_image.jpg

136973.gif

Is it possible that today's "vintage white" is simply exaggerated to show age? It's the sports equivalent of throwing some film grain and sepia tone on a photograph to make it look old fashioned.

70389454.png

First off, except for possibly the Howe photo, those are all black-and-white photos which were colorized after the fact, so the colors aren't that accurate. Still, there are issues with lighting and such. Unless the color was closer to tan (like the Wild use), it would be really hard to tell if a jersey was white or off-white unless there was some other white in the photo to compare it to.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Kings are wearing forum blue and gold to honor Ian Laperrière, a player who wore the Gretzky set for three years and the inaugural black and purple set for six.

The Kings - just like the Lakers - stopped referring to their primary color as "Forum Blue" in 1981.

"Royal Purple".

Except that the uniforms are from before 1981 so forum blue is correct.

"Royal Purple".

Maybe, but it's still a stupid name for purple.

"Royal Purple".

I agree, it is silly to call it "forum blue" when it's clearly purple, but that's beside the point.

"Royal Purple".

I agree, it is silly to call it "forum blue" when it's clearly purple, but that's beside the point.

Was Forum Blue created simply because purple wasn't regarded as "manly" enough for a sports team?

70389454.png

Was Forum Blue created simply because purple wasn't regarded as "manly" enough for a sports team?

Jack Kent Cooke hated the name of the colour, so thus forum blue was born.

And whether the manliness aspect is true or not (I don't know), considering purple has long been a colour associated with royalty, that one doesn't pass the snuff test.

spacer.png

Archived