2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Carolina wears monochrome red but no one complains that they look too much like the Red Wings.

I've complained about them looking too much like the Red Wings, and how suspicious it was that a lifelong Detroiter rebranded the Whalers in head-to-toe red as soon as he got the chance.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's still kinda necessary, since most other red jersey wearing teams tend to use black breezers, and Carolina would blend in even more if they had done that.

As it is, they look a bit like the Red Wings (but with much more color), but at least they play in a different conference. The Hurricanes and Devils have met in the playoffs three times since 2002, and I doubt anyone would've wanted to see matchups that were consistently white/white/black/white (red numerals) vs. black/red/black/red (white numerals).

The alternative that I would love to see (in a fantasy world, anyway) would be silver breezers. But light colors have never worked in the NHL, and it's been nearly 40 years since any team attempted it on a recurring basis.

spacer.png

Gotta say this looks legit, but I was hoping for a white version of this!

I hope this means we'll get a red vs. blue matchup next year. It's only the new EDGE Authentics that are made in Canada, I think. Replicas are still made in Asia.

Everything's made in Asia except for the jerseys that the teams get. The current batch of Edge Authentics aren't actually authentic at all.

The 2012 Rangers Winter Classic "Premier" jerseys were made in Canada, even though they were making all other Premiers and Edges in Indonesia. I find it puzzling that they are no longer making the Indo-Edges - new stick at Icejerseys and Rivercitysports are Made in Canada Edge 2.0 jerseys - that they would make the WC Permier jerseys of the Maple Leafs, of all teams, in Indonesia. Something seems fishy about it to me.

0214-tor-wc13.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1360865339301

If these turn out to be real then I would like to see the Leafs adopt them as their alternate. I live the '67 sweaters but they don't work for me for two reasons. The first is that they look, design wise, to close to the home sweaters. The second is that they're a visible reminder of forty-six years of futility.

The alternative that I would love to see (in a fantasy world, anyway) would be silver breezers. But light colors have never worked in the NHL, and it's been nearly 40 years since any team attempted it on a recurring basis.

I've envisioned a Jets uniform that uses Fuselage Grey™ breezers. I really wish they had a more distinctive color scheme than they do.

They don't look alike to the extent that one is a classic and one is a piece of crap. But if you're watching a game, a red splotch is more or less a red splotch.

136711446.0_standard_352.0.jpg

As for how to rectify the situation, I, as usual, can't come up with any solution better than just wishing away the entire existence of the Carolina Hurricanes. Sorry I can't be of more help :(

Agreed.

I know it's been said many times before but I need to say it again...those Islanders 3rds are hideous! Will they still be around next year?

They would look better with a white shoulder yoke and black helmets. Still would be awful, but adding white would be an improvement.

I've seen fakes that use white (based off an early leak) and honestly, it works better. Pardon the bad customization:

islanders91ab-03.jpg

70389454.png

Anything would be better, but I think their look would really benefit with black pants. It would make them pop, for lack of a better word. I do like that word though.

While the black pants would look good with the home jerseys, I think it would make the away look unbalanced. Chicago and New Jersey use enough black in their road jerseys that it looks ok but Tampa seems to want to emphasize blue.

It's still kinda necessary, since most other red jersey wearing teams tend to use black breezers, and Carolina would blend in even more if they had done that.

This is exactly why the Sens should wear all-black full time (and why the Flames need to go back to all red). Black helmet, red jersey, black pants, and red socks is owned by the Devils and Blackhawks. Not one of the red/black teams wears black at home.

Anything would be better, but I think their look would really benefit with black pants. It would make them pop, for lack of a better word. I do like that word though.

While the black pants would look good with the home jerseys, I think it would make the away look unbalanced. Chicago and New Jersey use enough black in their road jerseys that it looks ok but Tampa seems to want to emphasize blue.

This is exactly why the Sens should wear all-black full time (and why the Flames need to go back to all red). Black helmet, red jersey, black pants, and red socks is owned by the Devils and Blackhawks. Not one of the red/black teams wears black at home.

Ottawa has really taken a tumble over the years. The Yashin era set was utterly fantastic. The original red alt was fine as an alt, but it should've never been promoted to full-time status. The black jersey with gold trim was a neat concept, but the gold was pretty dull, from my recollection. And their current home/road sets are awful. The only positive with what they wear now is the barberpole black's.

386794.jpg

C744716BE8F29B6BE566632D8FA75D.jpg

senators.jpg

I don't think these look anything alike...

[Detroit red, Carolina red]

The 2002 Stanley Cup Finals!

As an asides, did anyone ever figure out how the Carolina Hurricanes won the Eastern Conference twice in a four season span? It can't all be explained as being the magic of Rod Brind'Amour.

spacer.png

Am I the only one who actually prefers the Sens' current logo to the original version?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Am I the only one who actually prefers the Sens' current logo to the original version?

Only because they don't use this:

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.gif

The old logo doesn't look strong enough to me (perhaps the lack of bold lines or something). If they used the modernized version they never ever use I'd be happy with their logo.

Does the team actually use this logo (aside from the score bugs or whatever they're called)?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

As an asides, did anyone ever figure out how the Carolina Hurricanes won the Eastern Conference twice in a four season span? It can't all be explained as being the magic of Rod Brind'Amour.

I think the '02 run was a matter of winning a weak NASCAR Division and then riding Kevin Weekes and Arturs Irbe. The '06 run was a matter of winning a weak NASCAR Division and having an effective power play.

I will say that the "History Beckons Rod Brind'Amour" angle of the '06 playoffs was weaker than weak. Why would I ever care about the overdue validation of Rod Brind'Amour? It's like if Jason Arnott had gone his whole career without a Stanley Cup and suddenly we were all expected to be all OH FINALLY THE TIME HAS COME FOR JASON ARNOTT.

I think the '02 run was a matter of winning a weak NASCAR Division and then riding Kevin Weekes and Arturs Irbe. The '06 run was a matter of winning a weak NASCAR Division and having an effective power play.

Also Cam Ward, in apparently the last season he ever gave a crap.

I've advocated the use of grey before for their breezers and other applications. Close enough to silver, and still manages to be a dark color. Then all you have to do is relegate the black to tertiary color status and you'd have an original color scheme. It'd look most similar to Ohio State's athletics and we all know how well that look has served their image.

Midway.png

Archived