The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Iginla would still flirt with 30 if this was a full season.

Yeah, he should start dating his own age instead.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo is a tremendous sports town.

...whose best contribution to the world are spicy buffalo wings.

Mmmm...buffalo wings.

2205394-drooling_homer_simpson_super.jpg

Also, modern air conditioning. You're welcome.

That is buried under 3 feet of snow 9 months out of the year. But other than that... :hockeysmiley:

I feel like a lot of hockey players are from Middle-of-Nowhere, Saskatchewan or Middle-of-Nowhere, Russia and wouldn't necessarily mind a small, cold weather city. At least not as much as the stereotypical football player from Texas or Florida that's never seen their breath. The first step is to build a good team. Buffalo city-wise isn't much different from Pittsburgh or Detroit, but nobody worries about whether or not free agents will want to play there.

...whose best contribution to the world are spicy buffalo wings.

Mmmm...buffalo wings.

2205394-drooling_homer_simpson_super.jpg

Also, modern air conditioning. You're welcome.

That is buried under 3 feet of snow 9 months out of the year. But other than that... :hockeysmiley:

I feel like a lot of hockey players are from Middle-of-Nowhere, Saskatchewan or Middle-of-Nowhere, Russia and wouldn't necessarily mind a small, cold weather city. At least not as much as the stereotypical football player from Texas or Florida that's never seen their breath. The first step is to build a good team. Buffalo city-wise isn't much different from Pittsburgh or Detroit, but nobody worries about whether or not free agents will want to play there.

Yeah, but as you are certainly (painfully) aware of, Buffalo doesn't have the Cups to appeal to free agents that Pittsburgh, and certainly Detroit, have to offer.

Always been one of those bridesmaid franchises. Still waiting to see their day in the sun alone from the rest of their peers.

spacer.png

Last night when the Islanders had a goal disallowed via review, the organ guy (who's also the organ guy at Yankee Stadium) played "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch." That made my night.

Carry on with real hockey discussion.

The Lightning just reduced the lead...no wait, the Leafs scored again...

This blue-on-blue matchup is confusing me... :wacko:

I must admit, I take joy in the fact that the Lightning have tanked since Yzerman started dressing them like the Maple Wings. Hockey Genius™!

Well, you know, I wasn't quite sure about your stance just yet...

And, in fairness, the Lightning have only been a playoff team six times in their 19 seasons. It predates their Maple Winging.

When the Lightning unveiled their new set you had people saying the Lightning would accomplish more with the look then the Leafs. Well sorry, but I'm going to enjoy the schadenfreude.

People saying that were off-their-rockers buffoons. Toronto is the most popular hockey team in the world. That would be akin to saying the Rockies would do more with the pinstriped look than the Yankees, even if the Yankees were in a down time in their history. Anyone who says that doesn't have an opinion worth listening to.

And I'm not blaming you for enjoying it; there are dozens of franchises in North America I have contempt for, and enjoy their misery. I'm actually flattered that a franchise as bad as the Lightning would be able to draw the schadenfreude of Toronto fans.

spacer.png

The Lightning made it interesting but the Leafs hang on and stop the skid.

And I'm not blaming you for enjoying it; there are dozens of franchises in North America I have contempt for, and enjoy their misery. I'm actually flattered that a franchise as bad as the Lightning would be able to draw the schadenfreude of Toronto fans.

I'm not sure I have contempt for the Lightning per say. Just their uniforms and the (increasingly) undeserved hype around their GM and coach.

Maybe this is just me, but I will be bummed out if there's some playoff shenanigans and the Ducks and Blackhawks are not the Western Conference finals. Playoff upsets are fun, but some years you just wanna see the best teams, ya know?*

*unless the Blue Jackets somehow make the playoffs and face either team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Especially after we missed three months of the season because of the league's own incompetence.

As I noted last night - three of the past four Presidents' Trophy's winners have been dismissed in the opening round. We don't need those kinds of shenanigans again this year. Anaheim vs. Chicago in the West, Boston vs. Pittsburgh in the East. Make it happen.

spacer.png

Maybe this is just me, but I will be bummed out if there's some playoff shenanigans and the Ducks and Blackhawks are not the Western Conference finals. Playoff upsets are fun, but some years you just wanna see the best teams, ya know?*

*unless the Blue Jackets somehow make the playoffs and face either team.

Those things will happen anytime. It's a matter of chance when playoff matchups are drawn. There are years where the general public will like the underdog winning, and then there are years where we all want the best regular-season teams to square off.

Take last year's playoffs, for example. Despite the underdog Kings riding a #8 seed to a Cup, many of us were disappointed that Canucks-Blackhawks IV didn't happen. I, also, was disappointed the Kings didn't see the Sharkies in the postseason (even knowing that San Jose scares the living daylights out of me come playoff-time). And the hockey media was disappointed that the Wings and Pens went out early, along with losing out on a Cup Final of Los Angeles vs. New York City (Devils over Rangers).

I'm not sure I have contempt for the Lightning per say. Just their uniforms and the (increasingly) undeserved hype around their GM and coach.

Yeah, you can blame that one on the fluke 2011 playoff run that was more-or-less perpetuated thanks to Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin both having debilitating injuries that kept them out of the playoffs. And even without them, the Penguins dominated that series and probably should've been able to lock that one up. But, hey, Dominic Moore drop pass behind the net to a winger crashing the net from the right wing? Blame the Penguins for not scouting that one, I guess.

This is also why I said acquiring Niemi (or something of that ilk) is pretty pointless. We rag on Mike Smith a ton here, and we rag on Phoenix a ton here (both for very good reasons), but I can't think it's pure coincidence that Smith went from playing some atrocious goaltending in 2011 to having a fantastic season in 2012, especially with how Daniel Ellis has thrived since leaving Tampa (after sucking), and how Anders Lindback has been pedestrian at best after being pretty solid for Nashville, even if he was just a backup there. The 1-3-1 system that helped prevent quality shot attempts in 2011 has been figured out by now by the league, and the result are the Lightning being a 51-68 team since the 2011-12 season began (and being 1-5 against their royal blue superiors).

Yzerman, in fairness, does seem to have done a pretty nice job at finding young talent through the draft and even UFA's (Cory Conacher, who scored tonight, being one of those kinds of guys). If not for those damned Maple Wing uniforms, I don't think he'd be as worthy of the mocking he gets around here (but, with all the Leafs and 'Hawks fans here, he'd still get plenty). But I haven't been impressed at all with Guy Boucher's coaching or system the past two seasons, and it might well be time for a change. Whether or not it will come is an entirely different matter.

spacer.png

Maybe this is just me, but I will be bummed out if there's some playoff shenanigans and the Ducks and Blackhawks are not the Western Conference finals. Playoff upsets are fun, but some years you just wanna see the best teams, ya know?

I felt this way about Blackhawks-Sharks in 2010.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Pretty awesome game so far. Ducks outplaying the Blackhawks through 1, but two heavyweights out there. Just heating up, folks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On top of the Maple Winging, the over-hype of Yzerman (Rolosn, Lindback, and Garon - All Stars!), I'm still bitter over last year's Calder Cup Final.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived