College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

Jones began designing the uniforms in October. He showed mock-ups to O'Leary, which were approved and went back to Nike. Nike rejected the initial design because the uniforms could not be made on its template.

And so, the tail continues to wag the dog.

UCF should be grateful they have the Nike contract. Nike bailed UCF out after Marcus Jordan made UCF lose their contract with Adidas.

Yeah, a university needs to be "grateful" to the company that makes their uniforms. Wait... who works for who here? What part of the word "client" do I not understand?

Traditionally, the "client" is the one paying the money for the goods/services of the "vendor." In collegiate athletics, the "vendors" pay the "clients" (the big ones, at least). Debate the merits of that approach all you want, but that's reality right now. Truthfully, it is a big deal, especially for less visible schools like UCF, to have a contract like that. Extra dollars, having their gear covered, a marketing strategy to pull recruits. It makes a difference.

That's the point I was trying to make, but you did it much better than me. Thanks.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones began designing the uniforms in October. He showed mock-ups to O'Leary, which were approved and went back to Nike. Nike rejected the initial design because the uniforms could not be made on its template.

And so, the tail continues to wag the dog.

UCF should be grateful they have the Nike contract. Nike bailed UCF out after Marcus Jordan made UCF lose their contract with Adidas.

Yeah, a university needs to be "grateful" to the company that makes their uniforms. Wait... who works for who here? What part of the word "client" do I not understand?

Traditionally, the "client" is the one paying the money for the goods/services of the "vendor." In collegiate athletics, the "vendors" pay the "clients" (the big ones, at least). Debate the merits of that approach all you want, but that's reality right now. Truthfully, it is a big deal, especially for less visible schools like UCF, to have a contract like that. Extra dollars, having their gear covered, a marketing strategy to pull recruits. It makes a difference.

Yeah, I'm aware of that... I was more or less making a comment on how screwed up I think the system is... note my original "tail/dog" bit.

I understand a smaller school might believe it "needs" Nike as much or more than Nike needs it... I just think it sucks. And the reissue of overexposed templates filtering down from high profile schools to the lowers is one of the problems I have with it. It's become painfully obvious that not all clients are equal. And, sure, they never really were, but at least under a traditional client / vender set-up, the vender would at least pretend that every customer was getting the best effort.

My brother was actually on a football visit and the school has Under Armour. The coach said they were switching to Nike soon and that it was hurting there recruiting by not having Nike.

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

My brother was actually on a football visit and the school has Under Armour. The coach said they were switching to Nike soon and that it was hurting there recruiting by not having Nike.

You're in Ohio. Would the school be Toledo?

No they were D2 schools....But I have heard from some people that 1-aa program Youngstown State has had guys take the step down to D2 just to wear Nike uniforms instead of Under Armour

#RaiderUp

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

No they were D2 schools....But I have heard from some people that 1-aa program Youngstown State has had guys take the step down to D2 just to wear Nike uniforms instead of Under Armour

Wow!

Wow!

Well, for how much of a swoosh cheerleader I am this makes me laugh. But I honestly don't think this is good. If everyone goes to Nike and knocks off Nike then we become stagnate in design. We really need improvement through competition. I don't like this idea that everyone is trying to be like Nike...

"Classic" does not mean it gets a free pass for being bad design.

6624288275_95c33d4680_z.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware of that... I was more or less making a comment on how screwed up I think the system is... note my original "tail/dog" bit.

I understand a smaller school might believe it "needs" Nike as much or more than Nike needs it... I just think it sucks. And the reissue of overexposed templates filtering down from high profile schools to the lowers is one of the problems I have with it. It's become painfully obvious that not all clients are equal. And, sure, they never really were, but at least under a traditional client / vender set-up, the vender would at least pretend that every customer was getting the best effort.

I'm with you on that one.

Well, for how much of a swoosh cheerleader I am this makes me laugh. But I honestly don't think this is good. If everyone goes to Nike and knocks off Nike then we become stagnate in design. We really need improvement through competition. I don't like this idea that everyone is trying to be like Nike...

I'm with you on that one.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

ucf5_medium.jpg

It's disappointing that UCF is using MSU's numbers, considering UCF has its own custom font already (a modified version of ITC Machine).

I'm also a bit confused about this interpretation of the new NCAA rule. Numbers must clearly be a contrasting number than the main color of the jersey, so UCF switched the white jerseys from gold numerals to black. Yet white numbers remain on the gold alternate. Even with the outline, if gold on white is difficult to read (which it is, from a distance), white on gold should also have the same legibility issues, unless the outline is extra thick.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

ucf5_medium.jpg

It's disappointing that UCF is using MSU's numbers, considering UCF has its own custom font already (a modified version of ITC Machine).

I'm also a bit confused about this interpretation of the new NCAA rule. Numbers must clearly be a contrasting number than the main color of the jersey, so UCF switched the white jerseys from gold numerals to black. Yet white numbers remain on the gold alternate. Even with the outline, if gold on white is difficult to read (which it is, from a distance), white on gold should also have the same legibility issues, unless the outline is extra thick.

These are just CG images. Perhaps the Nike will make the actual numbers black now.

Wow!

I said the same thing, but are we really surprised?

#RaiderUp

So with the "new" UCONN logo set coming soon, does that mean we see a new set of uniforms for the football team? I think they have a great set, one of the best in CFB at the moment.

cincyuconn1.jpg

UConnFootballUSF10.jpg

They look like a high school team.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

So with the "new" UCONN logo set coming soon, does that mean we see a new set of uniforms for the football team? I think they have a great set, one of the best in CFB at the moment.

cincyuconn1.jpg

UConnFootballUSF10.jpg

More like, several high school teams look like THEM.

Honestly, I just don't see anything wrong with this look.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

The font is the best thing about those uniforms. I've loved those ever since I watched them get their asses handed to them by Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

in 2008, 2009. and 2011, their helmet decals looked really good. I don't think anyone on earth could have put them on a helmet better than they were.

cincyuconn1.jpg

UConnFootballUSF10.jpg

What, not enough stupid, pointless, barely visible patterns plastered over various parts of the uniform? Or maybe the problem is they don't have 50 or 60 individual combinations available.

Maybe they do look like a high school, but its a sad state of affairs when high school teams look better than the average mid-level major college team, wearing over-designed nonsense in an effort to appeal to the players on those high school teams.

Archived