College Football 2013 Season

GriffinM6

John Infante@John_Infante

The NCAA does now require that numbers must “be of one solid color that itself is clearly in distinct contrast with the color of the jersey”

Does this mean no more bevel for A&M's numbers?

I don't see why that would be the case... the numbers seem to contrast pretty distinctly even with the bevels.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the literal sense of that rule, wouldn't that mean that all numbers can't have an outline?

Also, I read that the NCAA mandated all numbers must be Arabic numerals, so no more M, N, ND, W on the front of jerseys.

Must be a downer to Nike, Adidas and UA, who I'm sure was working on a fauxback with Roman numerals.

In the literal sense of that rule, wouldn't that mean that all numbers can't have an outline?

Outlines aren't technically part of the number. They're... well... outlines.

I think with the new number rule, Boise's blackout jerseys won't change. The numbers are blue-white gradient and in distinct contrast with the jersey. Bummer, cause the gradient sucks.

I think the NCAA should pass more uniform rules specifically targeting Boise. Pretty much just to annoy them.

I think the NCAA needs to focus more on moving back to hte ida of the student-athlete instead of worrying about designer trends in uniforms. That siad I think this goes more at Louisiana Lafayette with their Fleur delis jerseys Russell did last year.

ucf1.0_standard_730.0.jpg

ucf5_medium.jpg

"Jones began designing the uniforms in October. He showed mock-ups to O'Leary, which were approved and went back to Nike. Nike rejected the initial design because the uniforms could not be made on its template. Jones re-designed the uniforms using a template called "The Beast." UCF is the first school to use the design."

http://www.orlandose...0,3469815.story

Hmm. That is clearly Rutgers' template with Michigan State's number font.

10930005-standard.jpg

LeVeon-Bell-pic.jpg

ucf1.0_standard_730.0.jpg

ucf5_medium.jpg

"Jones began designing the uniforms in October. He showed mock-ups to O'Leary, which were approved and went back to Nike. Nike rejected the initial design because the uniforms could not be made on its template. Jones re-designed the uniforms using a template called "The Beast." UCF is the first school to use the design."

http://www.orlandose...0,3469815.story

Hmm. That is clearly Rutgers' template with Michigan State's number font.

10930005-standard.jpg

LeVeon-Bell-pic.jpg

The jersey is the same as Rutgers, but I'm sure the paneling is different. That's what they meant when they said UCF is the first to use "The Beast" template.

What's the point of getting a full redesign from Nike if they are just going to turn around and use your custom font on someone else's uniform?

Is there a timeframe where they promise not to use it but once that passes it's fair game?

well, its Nike's font so its up to them on how the want to use it. they would never make something completely unique for a po-dink school like UCF, but its kind of strange they didnt use a standard block. im guessing its the closest Nike had to what UCF wanted.

i still hate this uniform.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Per Bielema at a Razorback Club event tonight, he couldn't change the uniform design this year because of a contract but he said that he will have an influence on them next year. I would assume that we will go back to a conservative look.

He did say, however, that the white helmets would now feature a red hog this season as opposed to the white one this past year. Between that, removing the gradient and changing the grey lettering on the road uniforms back to red, the uniforms actually wont look that shabby this season in my opinion. They made all the changes that most fans wanted.

Jones began designing the uniforms in October. He showed mock-ups to O'Leary, which were approved and went back to Nike. Nike rejected the initial design because the uniforms could not be made on its template.

And so, the tail continues to wag the dog.

UCF should be grateful they have the Nike contract. Nike bailed UCF out after Marcus Jordan made UCF lose their contract with Adidas.

Jones began designing the uniforms in October. He showed mock-ups to O'Leary, which were approved and went back to Nike. Nike rejected the initial design because the uniforms could not be made on its template.

UCF should be grateful they have the Nike contract. Nike bailed UCF out after Marcus Jordan made UCF lose their contract with Adidas.

they actually already had a similar form of this template for awhile....they just took the pants from rutgers since they are both "knights" ...wouldn't call it theft more than its their old jersery template translated onto the new nike one they have....

brynntoday1.jpg

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Yeah, a university needs to be "grateful" to the company that makes their uniforms. Wait... who works for who here? What part of the word "client" do I not understand?

Yeah, a university needs to be "grateful" to the company that makes their uniforms. Wait... who works for who here? What part of the word "client" do I not understand?

Traditionally, the "client" is the one paying the money for the goods/services of the "vendor." In collegiate athletics, the "vendors" pay the "clients" (the big ones, at least). Debate the merits of that approach all you want, but that's reality right now. Truthfully, it is a big deal, especially for less visible schools like UCF, to have a contract like that. Extra dollars, having their gear covered, a marketing strategy to pull recruits. It makes a difference.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Do you know how much money it would take for Nike to develop a new jersey template for UCF's original concept? They would never make their money back. A lot of R&D would have to go into it and it would probably take a year or two. According to gordie_delini it took Nike quite a while to just figure out how to make LSU's stripes longer and they were just making adjustments to an existing template.

Traditionally, the "client" is the one paying the money for the goods/services of the "vendor." In collegiate athletics, the "vendors" pay the "clients" (the big ones, at least). Debate the merits of that approach all you want, but that's reality right now. Truthfully, it is a big deal, especially for less visible schools like UCF, to have a contract like that. Extra dollars, having their gear covered, a marketing strategy to pull recruits. It makes a difference.

A bit off topic, but Andrew, don't you work for/with Adidas? Can you tell us anything about the new sleeved and zubaz uniforms they just unveiled for college bball? The brainstorming process, the thought behind it, etc etc?

90758391980.gif

Archived