2013 NCAA FOOTBALL THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SEC now has 3 of the top 5 spots in the AP polls (FSU-2nd, OSU-3rd), Baylor to 9th, Oregon 12th, Fresno State just 1 up on UCF who's 1 up on NIU, ASU up to 13th, Duke only up 1 spot to 24th, and ND replaces Ole Miss in the ranks:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1

Yeah, I know, AP doesn't matter right now. But it gives a general idea what the BCS may look like

You do know UCF is an Automatic-Qualifier, right?

Can somebody enlighten me on how they'll pick one of Fresno State or Northern Illinois for the BCS? Is it just simply the one who is higher in the rankings?

First off, one of them has to finish at least #12 OR at least #16 and higher than a major conference champion.

If both Fresno and NIU meet at least one of those requirements, the BCS must take the more highly ranked one. They can select the other as an at-large.

PJU85JF.png

Can somebody enlighten me on how they'll pick one of Fresno State or Northern Illinois for the BCS? Is it just simply the one who is higher in the rankings?

Either one would have to finish in the top 16

Well, I personally think Fresno St. is "more deserving" for the most part because the A) Play in a tougher conference. And B) They didn't get a crack at the BCS last year, like NIU did. Regardless, neither should be above UCF. I'm sorry, their only loss was by a field goal to a Top 10 football team, and Louisville is far better than anything NIU or FSU has done so far, the only gripe I have on them is they nearly lost a shootout to Temple, but it's much better than justifying wins over Iowa, and a triple OT win against Rutgers and (potentially) 2 wins versus Boise. I'll take a crack at the BCS Bowls Nationally televised exhibition games.

BCS Bowls:

Rose: Stanford (PAC-12) vs. Ohio St. (B1G)

Sugar: Auburn (At-Large) vs. Baylor (At-Large)

Orange: Clemson (At-Large) vs. UCF (American)

Fiesta: Oklahoma St. (Big 12) vs. Northern Illinois (BCS Buster)

The meaningless "Championship Game" Alabama (SEC) vs. Florida St. (ACC)

Heisman Race:

1. Jameis Winston, QB, Florida St.

2. Andre Williams, RB, Boston College

3. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

4. Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois

5. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3448: Logan Thomas, QB, Virginia Tech

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

Well, I personally think Fresno St. is "more deserving" for the most part because the A) Play in a tougher conference. And B) They didn't get a crack at the BCS last year, like NIU did. Regardless, neither should be above UCF. I'm sorry, their only loss was by a field goal to a Top 10 football team, and Louisville is far better than anything NIU or FSU has done so far, the only gripe I have on them is they nearly lost a shootout to Temple, but it's much better than justifying wins over Iowa, and a triple OT win against Rutgers and (potentially) 2 wins versus Boise. I'll take a crack at the BCS Bowls Nationally televised exhibition games.

BCS Bowls:

Heisman Race:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You already did at least once before, but that time you did not use your newly found belief that the bowl system is an exhibition.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/90673-2013-ncaa-football-thread/?p=2117072

This time last year, NIU was not thought about at the BCS buster for the MAC, Kent State was to the point that Kent State was #17 in the BCS

during the last week of the season and their Friday night MAC title game while NIU was BCS #21.

And two running backs are not going to finish in the top five and AJ McCarron is left out.

BCS Bowls:

Heisman Race:

You already did at least once before, but that time you did not use your newly found belief that the bowl system is an exhibition.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/90673-2013-ncaa-football-thread/?p=2117072

This time last year, NIU was not thought about at the BCS buster for the MAC, Kent State was to the point that Kent State was #17 in the BCS

during the last week of the season and their Friday night MAC title game while NIU was BCS #21.

And two running backs are not going to finish in the top five and AJ McCarron is left out.

My opinion, others have their criteria and I have mine, simple as that.

And my picks really didn't change by much either, 3 games are the same and one team is in the same spot.

Maybe I'm just ignorant to his resume but I just don't see AJ McCarron as a Heisman contender. Yeah he is a 2 time champ but his stats don't really set the world on fire. He isn't the game changer that most Heisman winners seemed to be. Am I crazy here?

I'm no apologist but it seems like some of you already have Winston pegged as a guilty man and that isn't right. Public opinion be damned until he is proven to be guilty, he is innocent. In my eyes treating him or speaking of him as a guilty man is just as bad as blindly defending him. As of now it's he said, she said and until the facts come in I think we should refrain from the conversation.

I'm not saying he's guilty or not guilty. My point was simply that there will be Heisman voters who won't vote for him because of the allegations. Also, expecting people not to talk about it is pretty silly.

BB52Big.jpg

Maybe I'm just ignorant to his resume but I just don't see AJ McCarron as a Heisman contender. Yeah he is a 2 time champ but his stats don't really set the world on fire. He isn't the game changer that most Heisman winners seemed to be. Am I crazy here?

Whenever there's no clear-cut candidate (and if something goes down with Winston, we'll be entering that territory), it does sort-of become a lifetime achievement award.

When Ron Dayne won the Heisman, he got it due to his breaking of a 1-year-old all-time rushing record. Joe Hamilton was a huge snub that year....

My Hokie bias would say Michael Vick. That kind of guy was the person Tech needed to get a title, and the program just wasn't deep enough. But, I was 6 months old, but I would be hailed as some kind of "blessed child" if Tech would've won he year I was born. Ooh, what could've been. Also, if Winston did get arrested I wouldn't vote for him, a "CriminalNOLE" can't win the heisman.

SEC now has 3 of the top 5 spots in the AP polls (FSU-2nd, OSU-3rd), Baylor to 9th, Oregon 12th, Fresno State just 1 up on UCF who's 1 up on NIU, ASU up to 13th, Duke only up 1 spot to 24th, and ND replaces Ole Miss in the ranks:

Yeah, I know, AP doesn't matter right now. But it gives a general idea what the BCS may look like

Yeah, I know. What I meant was that NIU was 2 back from Fresno State. I still cant get used to saying that UCF is an automatic qualifier because they've mostly been in CUSA which was dominated by Houston under Case Keenum.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

BCS rankings with of all the teams in the mix:

1. Alabama

2. Florida State

---

3. Ohio State

4. Auburn

5. Missouri

6. Clemson

7. Oklahoma State

8. Stanford

9. Baylor

10. South Carolina

11. Michigan State

12. ARIZONA STATE SUN DEVILS (FORK 'EM! B) )

13. Oregon

14. Northern Illinois

---

16. Fresno State

---

19. UCF

---

24. DUKE! :)

My predicitions:

BCS - Alabama (#1, SEC) / Florida State (#2, ACC)

Rose - Stanford... for now B) (Pac-12) / Ohio State (Big Ten)

Orange - Clemson (#2 at-large replacement) / UCF (AAC,#1 at-large choice)

Sugar - Auburn (#1 at-large replacement) / Baylor (#2 at-large choice)

Fiesta - Oklahoma State (Big 12) / Northern Illinois (#3 at-large choice)

Oregon's loss drops them out, and slides Stanford in before the Pac-12 title game. (ahem... B) ).

Auburn stays in the Sugar Bowl as the SEC replacement, and depending on how the Iron Bowl is this week, they could still end up there despite the SEC title game result. If it's a close game like we all hope, then I doubt Auburn drops all that far. First, Missouri is no lock to beat Texas A&M. Even if they did, I suspect they would fall behind Auburn if Mizzou lost to Alabama in the title game. Same with South Carolina if Mizzou loses to A&M. If South Carolina loses to Alabama, I suspect they too would fall behind Auburn. I think that no matter what combination of wins/losses that keeps Alabama in the BCS game, Auburn will still ultimately end up in New Orleans.

Oklahoma State slides in to take Baylor's place in the Fiesta Bowl, and Baylor's first BCS appearance, the Sugar Bowl's proximity to Texas, and that high-octane offense (except this week obviously) would be an attraction to those on the New Orleans committee. Although, I could see where any sort of Baylor offense excitement and first BCS appearance could entice the Orange Bowl, but I still think the Orange Bowl takes UCF for ticket purposes. Either way, barring a surprise reach for Michigan State/Arizona State/Oregon, it'd be UCF/Baylor in the Orange/Sugar Bowls because...

Northern Illinois, nobody wants you. Yes, Jordan Lynch is a phenomenal player. That's great, but we already saw you last year when we didn't know you or want you. And you got dominated. Why would we want that again? The Orange Bowl only had you because they were obligated, much like it now seems like the Fiesta Bowl will be. Now that doesn't mean that Fresno wouldn't be relegated to the Fiesta Bowl because of the "last choice" reason, because they would. But Northern Illinois had their surprise/unwanted turn last year, and they squandered it mightily. Utah took their chance and shined. Boise State took their surprise chance and wowed us. TCU came in and performed. But Hawaii got blasted, didn't come back. Northern Illinois got blasted and should have the same fate.

Fresno has been a team that has flirted with that BCS contention but always ended up losing one. They've been such a solidly consistent program that I feel they deserve their BCS shot. And I don't understand how they were jumped like that. Fresno did their job and blew New Mexico's doors off and dropped a spot. Northern Illinois gets a decent win over Toledo and jumps two spots. Why? Well, I see it's the computers. To me, the humans have it right with Fresno at 13 in both, and NIU at 17 and 20, but the computers have Fresno at 17 and NIU at 7. SEVEN!?!? Yes, NIU has wins over Iowa (7-4) in Chicago and Purdue (1-10) on the road (but, c'mon... Purdue...) while Fresno's "power conference" win is Rutgers (5-5) at home in OT (they also had their game with 4-7 Colorado cancelled after the heavy floods), and I know the MWC isn't what is has been in the past, but still, I think that's garbage.

----

These next two weeks are going to be fun and plenty to shake. Alabama/Auburn, Missouri/Texas A&M, SEC Title Game, Ohio State/Michigan State Big 10 Title Game, Arizona State/Stanford Pac-12 Title game, all the rivalries. This is where the real fun begins.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yeah, I know. What I meant was that NIU was 2 back from Fresno State. I still cant get used to saying that UCF is an automatic qualifier because they've mostly been in CUSA which was dominated by Houston under Case Keenum.

Revisionist history.

Houston last won the CUSA title in 2006 when Keenum was redshirted because of Kevin Kolb, meanwhile UCF and East Carolina each won two since then.

Revisionist history.

Houston last won the CUSA title in 2006 when Keenum was redshirted because of Kevin Kolb, meanwhile UCF and East Carolina each won two since then.

I stand corrected :P

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived